Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Eric Gordon for Greg Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    Did Dumars make bad moves because he's a bad GM, or because he had limited options with Detroit as his market? This isn't the 70s. I don't know how Detroit still has multiple pro sports teams with everything you hear about the decline of the city. I'm curious to see how much of a difference SVG can make, especially in the first 2 months on the job.
    The former. Giving Gordon and Charlie V. all that money was terrible decisions. Milicic over Bosh, Anthony, Wade had nothing to do with the market(in Dumars defense I thought Darko was special too). Signing Smith and trading for Jennings were bad deals. He has just been awful the last decade plus.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Maybe a Monroe/Davis front court could not just work, but potentially flourish. Between the both of them they're seems to be no clear cut set position between them of either a C or PF despite some labeling both as primary PF from time to time. This is because skill wise which positions are determined by they both have a little bit of both in unique ways on both offense and defense that make unique and versatile bigs. And in ways they could balance out and make up for the other's weakness to complete a pretty awesome front court. This could be even more effective to a greater degree if Davis develops more of a outside shot. I will get into things deeper but Im on an iphone lol.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by wuggie View Post
    Maybe a Monroe/Davis front court could not just work, but potentially flourish. Between the both of them they're seems to be no clear cut set position between them of either a C or PF despite some labeling both as primary PF from time to time. This is because skill wise which positions are determined by they both have a little bit of both in unique ways on both offense and defense that make unique and versatile bigs. And in ways they could balance out and make up for the other's weakness to complete a pretty awesome front court. This could be even more effective to a greater degree if Davis develops more of a outside shot. I will get into things deeper but Im on an iphone lol.
    There is no way that Monroe and AD could ever be as effective offensively as AD and Ryno. I would hope most would agree with that. The question is whether they can be a lot better defensively and get somewhat close offensively.

I have watched a lot of Monroe the past week on Synergy. I dont see why anyone should believe that he is a much better defensive player than Ryno. Terrible in P&R's and just okay in the low post on D.

If his head was on straight, I would prefer Larry Sanders to Monroe for this team, and I am not a huge Sanders fan. Best thing Monroe has going for him is that he is local, he is durable, and AD is a fan of his game. But purely on the court, I dont see an upgrade on the AD/Ryno pairing.
    @mcnamara247

Speaking of Sanders, what happened to that guy? Is he part of the Get Paid and Go Away group of NBA players? He had so much promise and then he got paid and became a problem. How much of that has to do with coaching, and how much is him?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Speaking of Sanders, what happened to that guy? Is he part of the Get Paid and Go Away group of NBA players? He had so much promise and then he got paid and became a problem. How much of that has to do with coaching, and how much is him?
    I dont think a coach got him in a fight at a club or made him mistreat his dogs (HUGE no-no for me)

Injury concerns on top of that. But when he played, he was still okay. You gotta question the maturity though.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    There is no way that Monroe and AD could ever be as effective offensively as AD and Ryno. I would hope most would agree with that. The question is whether they can be a lot better defensively and get somewhat close offensively.

I have watched a lot of Monroe the past week on Synergy. I dont see why anyone should believe that he is a much better defensive player than Ryno. Terrible in P&R's and just okay in the low post on D.

If his head was on straight, I would prefer Larry Sanders to Monroe for this team, and I am not a huge Sanders fan. Best thing Monroe has going for him is that he is local, he is durable, and AD is a fan of his game. But purely on the court, I dont see an upgrade on the AD/Ryno pairing.
    There is no way Anderson and Davis are better offensive fits. See how easy that is.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    There is no way Anderson and Davis are better offensive fits. See how easy that is.
    lol. I was thinking the same thing. Took the words out of my mouth

Sorry, I thought that was a given.

Willing to hear the arguments for Monroe and AD being a better match offensively (and only offensively) than Ryno and AD.

Again, thought that was a given. My bad.

Offensively I'm not even sure how this is a debate... Davis feeds off of boards, mid range shots and driving to the goal. With anderson there is pretty much no shot at anyone affecting those main behaviors. With Monroe, there's the ability that the drive and the offensive rebounding isn't there due to being another guy in the lane. I'm sure a lot of people would rather have Davis pass out around the rim to give Monroe a 15 footer; im not sure people would be willing to take away Davis' lane to leave Ryno wide open. Just my .02.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Offensively I'm not even sure how this is a debate... Davis feeds off of boards, mid range shots and driving to the goal. With anderson there is pretty much no shot at anyone affecting those main behaviors. With Monroe, there's the ability that the drive and the offensive rebounding isn't there due to being another guy in the lane. I'm sure a lot of people would rather have Davis pass out around the rim to give Monroe a 15 footer; im not sure people would be willing to take away Davis' lane to leave Ryno wide open. Just my .02.
    Pretty much how I saw it. I wasnt trying to impose my will, just thought it was a given and the debate was more about if the defensive potential of Monroe/Davis was worth the drop in offensive potential

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    If it takes Ryno to get Monroe, I think we'd be better served seeing what other options are available.

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    Go look at the pick and rolls we ran when we had AD and Ryno healthy. AD rolling to the goal, Ryan popping out to the three point line, with Jrue or Tyreke handling the ball... It either resulting in an easy dunk or layup for AD or a wide open 3 for Ryan.

Obviously not the same because he was not as respected as Ryan, but the same thing would happen with Babbitt. Teams would mostly just leave him open, but he would get tons of open 3s. Think about how much better it is with Ryan...

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    To add on, if I'm not mistaken, I think Ryan is actually a better offensive rebounder than Monroe. Just think that offensive pairing is perfect. There are other stretch 4s or 5s who may be better fits because of defense, but offensively, I can't really think of one other than maybe Kevin Love.

Pretty much how I saw it. I wasnt trying to impose my will, just thought it was a given and the debate was more about if the defensive potential of Monroe/Davis was worth the drop in offensive potential
    Maybe an argument can be made about them being able to play better off the court with each other better. ie lineups without Davis and Monroe. But even then there's only 48 minutes in a game and if they're both playing 38 MPG the most i can figure out of them playing seperate is 20 minutes.

(How i got 20 minutes )

Quarter Minutes 12 12 12 12
    Davis 7 12 12 7
    Monroe 12 7 7 12

Quote Originally Posted by RekeHavoc View Post
    To add on, if I'm not mistaken, I think Ryan is actually a better offensive rebounder than Monroe. Just think that offensive pairing is perfect. There are other stretch 4s or 5s who may be better fits because of defense, but offensively, I can't really think of one other than maybe Kevin Love.
    Offensive rebounding is about a wash. Could argue Monroe will go back to pre-Drummond form once he leaves Detroit. Pre-Drummon Greg Monroe was a better offensive rebounder than Ryno ever was. But its a small advantage at most.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Maybe an argument can be made about them being able to play better off the court with each other better. ie lineups without Davis and Monroe. But even then there's only 48 minutes in a game and if they're both playing 38 MPG the most i can figure out of them playing seperate is 20 minutes.

(How i got 20 minutes )

Quarter Minutes 12 12 12 12
    Davis 7 12 12 7
    Monroe 12 7 7 12
    Going back to watch these old games and Ryno was the #1 option on the 2nd unit w/o Davis, and he was good. Dont know if Monroe can score in bunches like Ryno can or open up the court for others. I think that side of the ball goes to Ryno in every way. He just opens up so much for everyone and is such a big threat himself. Plus, imagine if we get a real SF that wont allow other teams to put their SF on him. Imagine always having a big chasing him around because we have a competent SF.

Monroe is a guy with a post game, that can pass, and has a decent jumper. So either you are forced to double Monroe or allow Davis free lanes to the basket or spot up jumpers or single cover Monroe. When Davis faces up Monroe has enough range to shoot of the pass from Davis or clean up the offensive board or collapse himself for an easy bucket as Davis is a solid passing big. Shooting comes and goes even for the best 3pt shooters. Having an effective post player will be there almost every night. You still have guys like Morrow, Holiday, Babbit, Roberts, Rivers, Gordon or a Jared Dudley type for spacing from the 1-3 position. Not to mention Davis is a solid floor spacer when his jumper is falling.

Monroe being on the court doesn't negate the PNR game with Davis or clog the lanes for Holiday and/or Evans. He didn't stop the PNR game for Drummond and right now Dre doesn't have the pop element to the PNR game like Davis does. He didn't clog the lane for guys like Jennings, Stuckey, or Bynum preventing them from attacking the rim.

Monroe is a guy with a post game, that can pass, and has a decent jumper. So either you are forced to double Monroe or allow Davis free lanes to the basket or spot up jumpers or single cover Monroe. When Davis faces up Monroe has enough range to shoot of the pass from Davis or clean up the offensive board or collapse himself for an easy bucket as Davis is a solid passing big. Shooting comes and goes even for the best 3pt shooters. Having an effective post player will be there almost every night. You still have guys like Morrow, Holiday, Babbit, Roberts, Rivers, Gordon or a Jared Dudley type for spacing from the 1-3 position. Not to mention Davis is a solid floor spacer when his jumper is falling.

Monroe being on the court doesn't negate the PNR game with Davis or clog the lanes for Holiday and/or Evans. He didn't stop the PNR game for Drummond and right now Dre doesn't have the pop element to the PNR game like Davis does. He didn't clog the lane for guys like Jennings, Stuckey, or Bynum preventing them from attacking the rim.
    His jumper is not decent. It is poor. And his post game is not double team worthy.

Check out the shot chart, and look at all the red on his mid range shot: http://stats.nba.com/playerShotchart...layerID=202328

The year before might have been even worse: http://stats.nba.com/playerShotchart...Season=2012-13

About 32% over his career from outside of 10 feet

His hook shot over the last 2 years is under 48%. His low post face up jumper is worse.

Ryan Anderson averaged more ppp in the post this year.

All of these statements are opinions with literally no facts to back them up.

And I hate bashing Monroe, because I am the biggest Georgetown fan, but it is what it is.

The problem is we don't know what Ryno we are getting back. To say we are getting the same Ryno back is impossible to say. So we aren't even sure what his value is. The asset has been impaired.

Per Synergy:

In post this year:

Monroe - 5 possessions a game. Shot 43%, drew fouls on 7.2% of possessions, averaged 0.8 points per possession
    Ryno - 2.5 possessions a game, shot 46%, drew fouls on 9.8% of possessions, averaged 0.98 ppp

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    Not really that type of injury... Doesn't rely on athleticism anyway, and even that won't be affected. It's not just how Davis will be affected by Monroe or Ryan, but also how other players are. We have a bunch of guys who drive to the goal on this team, and Ryan undoubtedly opens up the court more than Monroe. Not saying Monroe is a lane clogging big, but not comparable to Ryan in that aspect.

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   

Even when Ryan's shot is off, he will still open up the floor for our guards and Davis.

Not really that type of injury... Doesn't rely on athleticism anyway, and even that won't be affected. It's not just how Davis will be affected by Monroe or Ryan, but also how other players are. We have a bunch of guys who drive to the goal on this team, and Ryan undoubtedly opens up the court more than Monroe. Not saying Monroe is a lane clogging big, but not comparable to Ryan in that aspect.
    Agree. Much of Evans' game is driving the lane. We need Ryan to open the lane and be a dish option for Evans if needed.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    I dont think a coach got him in a fight at a club or made him mistreat his dogs (HUGE no-no for me)

Injury concerns on top of that. But when he played, he was still okay. You gotta question the maturity though.
    That's the deal breaker for me. You can tell a lot about someone by the way they treat their dogs.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Even when Ryan's shot is off, he will still open up the floor for our guards and Davis.
    This.

This is why he's so valuable. Even when he's in the corner doing nothing, he's still doing something.
    Cause he's an assassin, mentally and physically.

Thread Information