Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Eric Gordon for Greg Monroe

I still say our crater at SF trumps the Center. We have 3 "capable" centers... and not one capable SF.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    I still say our crater at SF trumps the Center. We have 3 "capable" centers... and not one capable SF.
    I agree especially with the NBA doing a lot of small ball lineups, having a capable SF would help us more because we have someone like Davis who could play center.
    Follow me on Twitter: @WeAreSX2

I disagree that we have 3 capable centers, we still don't have a solid rebounder that can stay on the court among them, but the hole at SF should be a priority. Paying $12+ million to Monroe only makes sense if you plan to move Ryno, and that's not a direction I would go.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I love Monroe, all for us going after him. But I would walk away under these 2 circumstances:

1). If it's a trade that involves giving up Ryno
    2). If he wants more than 12mil a year.

I agree we have a huge need at both C & Sf... if just think SF can be addressed much easier through the MLE than C can. Really gotta pay good dollar for a quality C these days...

If you have the talent and the fit you go with that. Going big going small really does it matter if you are the better team. There's more than one way to contend in any sport.

Anderson is a fine player on a good contract. However his primary skill is floor spacing. While he can do more and is one of the better floor spacer that is less consistent skill and easy to find than a competent post players on offense. Monroe IMO is the better player and has the higher ceiling. Again in this league you win with talent and you impose your play style onto other teams. I understand it's salary cap league so this is clearly under the assumption that Monroe won't cost us something like 16M's per.

Ryno is A LOT better at:

- Outside shooting
    - FT shooting
    - Not turning it over
    - Pick and Pop

Ryno is a little better at:

- Post up scoring (surprisingly true)

Monroe is a LOT better at:

- Drawing FT's
    - Defensive rebounding
    - Passing out of High and low post
    - Pick and roll offense

Monroe is a little better at:

- Getting steals

They are about even when it comes to offensive rebounding.

It is about what you want on offense, as neither are world beaters on defense. Over his career, Monroe's average shot distance is 4.6 feet from the hoop ; Ryno's is 16.5 feet.

As for the "upside" argument - Monroe's numbers have been declining, even before Josh Smith came, so I dont see huge growth as something you assume will come.

To me, it comes down to salary. Monroe's durability and AD's admiration for his game intrigue me. I think he and Ryno are about equal players, but these two intangibles make me like him a little better. Also, I think Monty would play AD and Monroe 30 mins a game together, where he is too stubborn to do that with Ryno and AD.

So, if it were 10-12 mil per year, I would probably prefer Monroe, but no more than that.
    @mcnamara247

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    When it comes right down to it, I'd say Monroe is a better on ball defender. Got very good length too. They're both about even far as team defense goes. And neither are much of anything at defending pick and rolls.

Yup. It all comes down to salary. Monroe for a max deal? Walk away from that. But maybe he gives us a hometown discount? Or not us West Bankers gotta have our greenbacks.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Man oh man I hope you're right.
    Wherehappens.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    When it comes right down to it, I'd say Monroe is a better on ball defender. Got very good length too. They're both about even far as team defense goes. And neither are much of anything at defending pick and rolls.

Yup. It all comes down to salary. Monroe for a max deal? Walk away from that. But maybe he gives us a hometown discount? Or not us West Bankers gotta have our greenbacks.
    Watching all these games lately, man Ryno fights on defense. Never takes a play off and almost never makes a mental error. In fact, of the games I have watched, the interior defender that makes the most mistakes - AD by a mile. Smith was really good too.

I agree somewhat but I don't think we have 3 capable centers. I def think we need to prioritize the sf postion first. As long as we don't hinder our abilities to get a quality 3 in the process of getting the big man. I'm ok with it.

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    I agree somewhat but I don't think we have 3 capable centers. I def think we need to prioritize the sf postion first. As long as we don't hinder our abilities to get a quality 3 in the process of getting the big man. I'm ok with it.
    I guess the question depends on what you consider "capable." Maybe serviceable? On a championship team, I don't think any of our centers would start. But yeah, I think you need to prioritize SF over C since at least we have a few Cs.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Watching all these games lately, man Ryno fights on defense. Never takes a play off and almost never makes a mental error. In fact, of the games I have watched, the interior defender that makes the most mistakes - AD by a mile. Smith was really good too.
    You will get no argument from me that AD has a long way to go on defense surprisingly. Much of which starts with Monty forcing our best rim protector to hedge up top and play catch up afterwards.

Ryno's issue certainly isn't effort. And it isn't physicality. But his rotations are SO slow and his ability to bounce outside non existent. He just doesn't have the length to make up for it and in my eyes creates a complete liability on the defensive end. Certainly doesn't mean his offense doesn't still destroy the guy he's giving up buckets to. But I think Monroe's length alone makes up for a lot of the slow close outs and rotations. And he's got more girth to him and is better at boxing his man out on rebounds.

At the end of the day, Monroe standing still with his arms up is better than Anderson standing still with his arms up. It's no knock on Anderson, just the hand that was dealt.

Anderson is a flat out better player than Monroe. If he's included, the Pels get reamed.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMash View Post
    Anderson is a flat out better player than Monroe. If he's included, the Pels get reamed.
    It's like saying Chris Paul is better than Paul George. They are 2 different types of players and will be asked to do different things. Monroe is only 23. If we are gonna cap his potential off. We should do the same for holiday too huh?
    Last edited by kclaboy504; 05-20-2014 at 07:46 PM.

Pistons just got a little more desperate tonight.....

...we get to go McDonalds
    Was just thinking the same thing. Perhaps a deal was contingent on this playing out.

Absolutely.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    Greg Monroe being traded is basically the only way for the Pistons to give their fans hope at this point. It's their only card to give the roster a face lift. Really bad luck for them.

Agreed. How does SVG upgrade that team w/o a 1st round pick?

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    It's like saying Chris Paul is better than Paul George. They are 2 different types of players and will be asked to do different things. Monroe is only 23. If we are gonna cap his potential off. We should do the same for holiday too huh?
    I guess, if you want. Point remains I'd rather have Anderson than Greg Monroe.

I'll take Greg Monroe over Anderson. We have a 4. His name is Anthony Davis.
    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it."
    - el-Hajj Malik el-Shabazz

I'm more than willing to kick a team when they are down, Get this done Dell!

If somehow this miracle trade goes down, the question is:

Can AD, Ryno, and Monroe play together for 8 minutes a game.

If so, that gives you 104 minutes to split up between those 3. AD gets 38, leaving 66 for Ryno and Monroe. Thats plenty.

Then, you finish the game with the hotter hand and/or the better matchup.

Imagine having at least two of those three on the court for every single minute of the game. Nice.

Some how I think they can garner more than Eric Gordon for Greg Monroe, but hey you never know.

Thread Information