Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official NBA 2014 Draft Lottery Thread

Really not sure about this, so I thought I'd ask the board. In the highly unlikely scenario we receive one of the top 3 picks tomorrow night and get to keep our pick this year, what would happen if we elect to trade the pick? I understand we'd get to keep it and thus Philly doesn't get to use it this year. However, if we trade it to someone else this year and presumably don't land within the established protection zone for our 1st round pick next year (thereby forfeiting the pick to Philly), how would we be allowed to trade our 1st round picks in consecutive years? I thought that wasn't allowed?
    "Davis is gonna be the best Basketball Player Ever. ......Please quote me." -Silverfoxx

Picks are never really traded before the draft or on draft night. Instead, a team makes a pick for the other team and the trade goes down once the moratorium ends on July 10th.

We didn't trade Nerlens Noel to Philly until after the moratorium ended last year. We just agreed to it on the night of the draft. Same would happen here. We would agree to the deal and select whoever the other team wants and trade the player to them after the moratorium, thereby circumventing that rule. Not an issue at all.
    @mcnamara247

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny6420 View Post
    We had our luck getting Davis, lets not get greedy.
    Feed me, Seymour!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Picks are never really traded before the draft or on draft night. Instead, a team makes a pick for the other team and the trade goes down once the moratorium ends on July 10th.

We didn't trade Nerlens Noel to Philly until after the moratorium ended last year. We just agreed to it on the night of the draft. Same would happen here. We would agree to the deal and select whoever the other team wants and trade the player to them after the moratorium, thereby circumventing that rule. Not an issue at all.
    Makes sense. Thanks. I figured there was some way to circumvent that situation.

http://www.fresnobee.com/2014/05/19/...9/330/654/584/

Demps will represent the team at the lottery.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    ANy updates on the loyyo?

Stilll brings a massive smile to my face

So, if we don't get called at the 10th pick does that mean we are top 3 at that point? Is that how that works? Or can we also land 6-9?

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    So, if we don't get called at the 10th pick does that mean we are top 3 at that point? Is that how that works? Or can we also land 6-9?
    We can only land top 3 or stay at 10 and give it to Philly.

Quote Originally Posted by Coughka View Post
    We can only land top 3 or stay at 10 and give it to Philly.
    Ok thought so. I'd like to see dell have a trick up his sleeve and sneak into the mid 1st somehow if we don't get lucky. I really like Rodney hood and cleanthony early at the 3. I think k.j mcdaniels isn't big enough barely hitting 6'6 in shoes.

We can land at 11, 12, or 13 if someone behind us jumps into the top three.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    I feel a miwakle coming... we're gonna get that top 3 pick.

get cha prayer handkerchief out

I think it goes

1.76ers
    2.Bucks
    3.Celtics
    4.Lakers
    5. Jazz
    SIGN A SF

Ok thought so. I'd like to see dell have a trick up his sleeve and sneak into the mid 1st somehow if we don't get lucky. I really like Rodney hood and cleanthony early at the 3. I think k.j mcdaniels isn't big enough barely hitting 6'6 in shoes.
    Agree on Hood and as much as I like McDaniel's skill set I don't care for smaller SF's. Maybe he could be a big, glue, 3&D type of 2 guard. Although I think his skill set is more of a SF.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    I've probably seen 15 Clemson games this year. McDaniel is perfect for this team. He was asked to do way too much at Clemson and he still filled the stat sheet and this team needs players who can affect the game without the ball.. the flipside...because he was asked to do so much at Clemson he's not gonna crap his pants if he finds himself needing to make a play because the defense doesn't respect him and has cheated off him. An opportunist if you will. Even at 6'6 it's no big deal. None of the top SF's in the West are posting people up anyways. His on ball defense and activity will more than make up for his lack of traditional height.

Quote Originally Posted by All Metro View Post
    get cha prayer handkerchief out

I think it goes

1.76ers
    2.Bucks
    3.Celtics
    4.Lakers
    5. Jazz
    Lakers can't pick 4th, so I would bet against that order. Give you ten million to one odds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wingspan means more than height. You don't grab boards or block shots with your head. McDaniels, in that way, is a "taller" player than someone like Doug McDermott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    Stilll brings a massive smile to my face

Still feels surreal to me lol the only thing that can overcome this if we win a ring!

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Cowherd this mornign said that if he rigged the draft it would go
    1. Jazz - Parker to Jazz would be a huge draw in utah
    2. Lakers - Wiggins to LA
    3. 76er's
    4. Bucks
    5. Magic
    6. Celtics
    7. Pistons
    8. Kings

He also noted he would love to give the Pelicans another player to put alongside Davis, but that he could not fit them into the top 3 if he was rigging it.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jsl05 View Post
    http://www.fresnobee.com/2014/05/19/...9/330/654/584/

Demps will represent the team at the lottery.
    Monty was there the year we got Davis, WTH Demps you can't go jinxing us like that!

Monty is not going ?? Fire Monty.

Quote Originally Posted by Euphonetiks View Post
    Cowherd this mornign said that if he rigged the draft it would go
    1. Jazz - Parker to Jazz would be a huge draw in utah
    2. Lakers - Wiggins to LA
    3. 76er's
    4. Bucks
    5. Magic
    6. Celtics
    7. Pistons
    8. Kings

He also noted he would love to give the Pelicans another player to put alongside Davis, but that he could not fit them into the top 3 if he was rigging it.
    Pistons can't have the 7th pick. They can either move into the top 3 or stay 8th if I'm not mistaken so his rig job would break the known rules.

i thought GMs had to be int he backroom where the lottery is actually drawn & someone else represents the team on stage? to assure its not rigged

Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    i thought GMs had to be int he backroom where the lottery is actually drawn & someone else represents the team on stage? to assure its not rigged
    There is also the insurance company present to ensure that there are no shenanigans.

Come on Mr. Lottery Ball. You've done it before, do it again!

3. Celtics 2. Upset Twovles 1.Bucks

Thread Information