Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pelicans interest Monroe!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    I agree somewhat. I think demps hands were tied...sort of. It's much easier for you to say what you'd do on a message board. (No disrespect intended) but his initial trade got shot down by the commish. Now the one he had to roll with was Gordon being the prize of the trade. As much as I hated the matching of the offer especially after what Gordon pulled in the off season that year. Demps really did have to match the offer. IMO
    Having a differing opinion is fine. Trying to call me out saying I have the luxury of hindsight when I was outspoken against the move at the time is what I took exception with.

Again we all know it's easier to make moves when it's not our jobs' on the line. You could also say not having the pressure allows us to form opinions not based on our on self interest. However bad moves or just that with or without the pressure. Keeping Gordon at that price allowed for so many things to go wrong and so few things to go right. IMO it was so obviously a bad move I thought the only logical thing to do was to trade him the minute he refused to sign during the season.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 05-15-2014 at 12:55 PM.

I think the idea that he had to match because Gordon was the key piece in the Paul trade is a terrible one and if that is why Demps matched, he can not be a decision maker in any business.

Any adult in the business world understands sunk cost, and if he didn't, then he does not deserve the job.

I tend to think this philosophy is more a fan creation than one an actual GM would have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I'm sorry, but giving Gordon that deal was the low percentage move even when we did it.
    Oh I agree... aside from the "my heart is in Phoenix" stuff I didn't want to give him max money because he was soft as wet toilet paper.

But you have to remember that at the time, Stern and the NBA owned the team, and when the deal was done, Gordon was the main piece that we were getting. The owners (the NBA) probably had more say in Gordon getting matched than Dell.

Dell's hands were tied he did what was right. I didn't agree... neither did many folks here, but he couldn't let Gordon walk.

Why? I keep seeing this argument that he couldn't let him walk with no supporting reasoning or evidence.

Ryan and I had 4 podcasts that summer and it was basically 5 hours of us begging Dell not to sign him or match. It was clear as day to try to do a sign and trade with Phoenix, and even if they wouldnt have done that (which they would have), then you let him walk.

You dont compound one mistake with another. No good business person thinks like that. It was not a no brainer decision. I like to think Ryan and I have brains, and it was clear as day to us and many of our listeners agreed. Many didn't, but it wasn't a no brainer decision by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    IMO he's the ideal player to pair with Davis in the front court. This allows Davis to have the ability to "free style" on both offense and defense. He allows just enough spacing and he's strong where Davis is weak(at least as of now) and weak were Davis is strong. Davis is great at slashing and finishing and Monroe is a great passing big man. And there are so many like that I could list.
    Agreed. With all that said, what is the max that you would pay him?

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I think the idea that he had to match because Gordon was the key piece in the Paul trade is a terrible one and if that is why Demps matched, he can not be a decision maker in any business.

Any adult in the business world understands sunk cost, and if he didn't, then he does not deserve the job.

I tend to think this philosophy is more a fan creation than one an actual GM would have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's not just the fact that he was the main piece. I think that's a very valid point, but more importantly, he had the potential to be a #1 guy (or en elite #2 guy). Gordon, before the injuries, would be a perfect fit for this roster, but the injuries derailed his career. Demps couldn't have possibly predicted that, so he thought he was paying for the younger Eric Gordon, which was a solid move IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    It's not just the fact that he was the main piece. I think that's a very valid point, but more importantly, he had the potential to be a #1 guy (or en elite #2 guy). Gordon, before the injuries, would be a perfect fit for this roster, but the injuries derailed his career. Demps couldn't have possibly predicted that, so he thought he was paying for the younger Eric Gordon, which was a solid move IMO.
    Again, I disagree that you cant predict injuries. Was my argument the whole time. I was not magically right that he would continue to have issues with this. Just like anything else, you look to the past to help predict the future. On top of that, we were told by multiple insiders that it was known by many in the league that Gordon's body would not be able to hold up for a large part of the season, let alone multiple seasons.

If two podcasters knew this, Dell had to know. We also were told that he wanted to be the #1 guy and if he wasn't that he would pout and become a malcontent. I am not trying to make this a "see I told you" thread, but me being dead on with this particular thing was not luck. It was as obvious to me as anything I have ever encountered when covering this team.

Why? I keep seeing this argument that he couldn't let him walk with no supporting reasoning or evidence.

Ryan and I had 4 podcasts that summer and it was basically 5 hours of us begging Dell not to sign him or match. It was clear as day to try to do a sign and trade with Phoenix, and even if they wouldnt have done that (which they would have), then you let him walk.

You dont compound one mistake with another. No good business person thinks like that. It was not a no brainer decision. I like to think Ryan and I have brains, and it was clear as day to us and many of our listeners agreed. Many didn't, but it wasn't a no brainer decision by any means.
    We couldn't do a sign/trade with Phoenix (or at least I thought we couldn't) after he signed the offer sheet. Is that not correct?

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    We couldn't do a sign/trade with Phoenix (or at least I thought we couldn't) after he signed the offer sheet. Is that not correct?
    They had the whole moratorium period, and at the very minimum they could have done Gordon for Lopez (who they were obviously willing to part with). Get Lopez and a $10 million trade exception. Not too shabby.

I agree Dell should have negotiated a sign and trade and at least come away with something in the deal. That is where he made his big mistake. However, once he decided not to do that, I do not think it was a no brainer to let Gordon walk when you are a GM that just traded away the franchise player from an organization and you are trying to prove yourself as a GM in the league. Was he wrong? Apparently so. However, at the time, I would not call it a no brainer.

They had the whole moratorium period, and at the very minimum they could have done Gordon for Lopez (who they were obviously willing to part with). Get Lopez and a $10 million trade exception. Not too shabby.
    Oh god. The things I would do to have Lopez and a 10m trade exception instead of Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I agree Dell should have negotiated a sign and trade and at least come away with something in the deal. That is where he made his big mistake. However, once he decided not to do that, I do not think it was a no brainer to let Gordon walk when you are a GM that just traded away the franchise player from an organization and you are trying to prove yourself as a GM in the league. Was he wrong? Apparently so. However, at the time, I would not call it a no brainer.
    Exactly - neither side was a no brainer. It was debateable. I just keep reading that he had "no choice but to match". I couldnt disagree more. He had a choice and made the wrong one. And that is not with the benefit of hindsight. Was as clear to some of us then as it is now.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    It seemed the lesser of two evils to me. It wasn't a good position to be in. And if we do apply hindsight, a sign and trade might've made us too good to wind up with Anthony Davis.

Would love to have him and hate to lose Ryno, but Monroe is the better, younger player.

Monroe is an excellent rebounder IMO, even though he played next to rebounding monsters in drummond and smith he still averaged 10 a game.

Like someone stated, we don't have a low post offensive threat.

While I love Ryno's floor spacing this is why I think it is a tad over-rated.

1. Let's say you have a lineup or Jrue, Tyreke, Jordan Hamilton, Ryno and Davis. Yes this will space the floor but in having NO low-post offensive threat it actually hurts your offense because all defense will need to do is crowd your 3 point shooters, knowing they don't have to worry about low-post offense.

2. Now if you have a lineup of Jrue, Tyreke, Hamilton, Davis, Monroe you have 2 excellent 3pt shooters in jrue and ham, a slasher is tyreke, a mid-range/athletic slasher in davis and a low-post offensive thread in Monroe. This makes your offense less 2 dimensional since u have the low-post threat, making it harder on defenses.

Just my opinion.

Bottom line, if Monroe would take a hometown discount of 12-13 mil compared to what he might get in the 14-15 range I would definetly try to find a way to make it happen.
    Last edited by HornetGuru; 05-16-2014 at 04:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    It seemed the lesser of two evils to me. It wasn't a good position to be in. And if we do apply hindsight, a sign and trade might've made us too good to wind up with Anthony Davis.
    You are mixing up offseasons. We already had AD.

That was another big part of my argument at the time. AD was gonna be the franchise cornerstone and we were told that Eric was starting to become jealous of Griffin in LA, as he envisioned himself as a cornerstone. It is no coincidence that he wanted to go to Phoenix - a place that had nobody at the time, so he could be the #1

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Yeah because I remember Gordon getting all pissy because we drafted Rivers, instead of a big man.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    It was bedtime for me anyway.

*sips juice box*

Thread Information