Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Stan Van Gundy to not retain Monroe

Don't like Anderson on this team as much like I like Monroe on this team, but if it's a max deal for Monroe no thank you.

If we can get Monroe for about 12M's per season I'm cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Amakhosi002 View Post
    Someone mentioned Drummond and now all I can think about is a Davis/Drummond front court. Which I have had on 2k and it is fuuuuuuuuuuun.

Silliness aside, I don't really see a place for him on the roster at his probable salary. The question, for me, is how good is his defense compared to Ryno? Because not only does it have to be better than Rynos, but it needs to be better to the point where it would be a net positive for the team if you factor in the loss on offense that we'd suffer with Ryno not there shooting the 3 and providing spacing. If that makes sense.

Also, if you are part of the "Davis is a PF" camp (in terms of the role a PF usually plays on a team, caus I know some don't think in terms of position), then it's a question of whether Monroe is a centre, at least in the future. I don't know the answer to that question btw.
    Monroe is a center and only a center in this league. The biggest problem the Pistons have is trying to play him and Drummond IMO.

I don't know how I feel about this. I think playing Monroe next to AD would work out well and I think part of the issue was playing Monroe and Drummond together.

Ok. I've thought about it and no I wouldn't do it. I think we can get better value than having to send Ryno and a 1st for Monroe. Last year we could have gotten Asik and another piece for Ryno. Us giving away the 1st is the deal breaker. In 2 years we will be in lux tax and picks will be one of the few ways to get new blood in. Plus this trade does nothing to move Gordon.

Now if they say swap JR Smith for Gordon. Maybe I think about it. While I'd rather not have to play him at SF, I think being next to AD would be easier than Drummond.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I don't know how I feel about this. I think playing Monroe next to AD would work out well and I think part of the issue was playing Monroe and Drummond together.

Ok. I've thought about it and no I wouldn't do it. I think we can get better value than having to send Ryno and a 1st for Monroe. Last year we could have gotten Asik and another piece for Ryno. Us giving away the 1st is the deal breaker. In 2 years we will be in lux tax and picks will be one of the few ways to get new blood in. Plus this trade does nothing to move Gordon.

Now if they say swap JR Smith for Gordon. Maybe I think about it. While I'd rather not have to play him at SF, I think being next to AD would be easier than Drummond.
    I'm ok with giving up the 1st the way this team is constructed as is. We as much as some may or may not want to admit it or in win now mode. We have far too much salary invested into this team even if we are to trade Gordon. Next year is playoffs or bust for Demps and Williams. A mid 1st in most drafts aren't expected to do much anyways.

While you hope and logically can expect Anderson to make a full recovery we still don't know if/how this injury will affect him moving forward. With his post game Monroe adds a level of balance to the offense that we don't have and it would give this team and while he's not a great defender he's better than Anderson IMO. He has enough range on his jumper not the clog the lane for Davis, Evans and Holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I'm ok with giving up the 1st the way this team is constructed as is. We as much as some may or may not want to admit it or in win now mode. We have far too much salary invested into this team even if we are to trade Gordon. Next year is playoffs or bust for Demps and Williams. A mid 1st in most drafts aren't expected to do much anyways.

While you hope and logically can expect Anderson to make a full recovery we still don't know if/how this injury will affect him moving forward. With his post game Monroe adds a level of balance to the offense that we don't have and it would give this team and while he's not a great defender he's better than Anderson IMO. He has enough range on his jumper not the clog the lane for Davis, Evans and Holiday.
    While I agree about win now look at what type of talent SA, OKC, Houston, and others have been able to add with mid round picks. We aren't going to get top FA talent for cheap here in the next couple years so being able to have a picks are very important to continue our growth later.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

While I agree about win now look at what type of talent SA, OKC, Houston, and others have been able to add with mid round picks. We aren't going to get top FA talent for cheap here in the next couple years so being able to have a picks are very important to continue our growth later.

Normally I'm a draft guy. However we don't have the winning structure like the Spurs to be patient. They knew their core of Duncan/Parker/Ginobili wasn't going anywhere. Can we say the same with Davis/Evans/Holiday? Do we even know if that can be a championship core? I certainly don't think it is. This is why I was so strongly against trading for Holiday and doing the S&T for Evans.

Normally I'm a draft guy. However we don't have the winning structure like the Spurs to be patient. They knew their core of Duncan/Parker/Ginobili wasn't going anywhere. Can we say the same with Davis/Evans/Holiday? Do we even know if that can be a championship core? I certainly don't think it is. This is why I was so strongly against trading for Holiday and doing the S&T for Evans.

No way do we give up Ryno AND a 1st. I honestly don't think the pistons match an offer. They are stuck with smith at the 4 now. They have to let 1 go to make that roster work. Monroe is the odd man out.

I disagree. A mid 1st rd pick is very valuable. Many successful nba players have been drafted in the mid to late 1st rd.

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    I disagree. A mid 1st rd pick is very valuable. Many successful nba players have been drafted in the mid to late 1st rd.
    I don't disagree with this. Again I prefer building through the draft. I wanted to get two more first round pick in what was considered a very weak draft last year. However my point is through the action of Demps we are now not in a position to gamble on a draft pick in the middle round. If we miss and lose the core we are forced to start for scratch minus Davis.

You HAVE to keep new blood coming in. If we were to move Ryno and a 1st it means we would have given up 3 of 4 years of picks.

While I'm fine with the Jrue trade because I think Noel won't make a splash and it's a late lottery pick this year, I still thing in 2 years we will need some new talent. Eve if you don't agree that our core is a championship team, we are stuck with them and WILL be in lux tax in 2 years. I'm not giving up a valuable piece AND a draft pick for Monroe. Now if we can move Gordon for that 1st, sure.

Do we even know if that can be a championship core? I certainly don't think it is.
    I totally agree with this Throne. I've been saying, as constructed now, this is not a championship caliber team. Nor will it ever be IMO. I think the Pels need a really good player (even if we have to overpay) to go along with AD and bump some of what most are calling the core 4 down to ancillary players. AD, Ryno, Holliday, and Evans are not good enough to make waves in the playoffs. They are however good enough to get us to the playoffs. I'm not sure if Monroe puts the Pels over the top but I do think it would be step in the right direction.
    Last edited by UptownFuz504; 05-15-2014 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    I totally agree with this Throne. I've been saying, as constructed now, this is not a championship caliber team. Nor will it ever be IMO. I think the Pels need a really good player (even if we have to overpay) to go along with AD and bump some of what most are calling the core 4 down to ancillary players. AD, Ryno, Holliday, and Evans are not good enough to make waves in the playoffs. They are however good enough to get us to the playoffs. I'm not sure if Monroe puts the Pels over the top but I do think it would be step in the right direction.
    Yep. I think we need more talent with size. As of now most of our talent pool is in the 6'8 and under range.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

We have a championship core. His name is Anthony Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludiculous View Post
    We have a championship core. His name is Anthony Davis.
    That's not enough. Even if we assume Davis is a top 3-5 player in the league he alone isn't winning a title alone.

My thinking is that he would be either the best or second best by 2017. That puts him on current Durant level. How is this supporting cast plus the guy(s) we add once we get Gordon off the books not better than Durants current supporting cast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    My thinking is that he would be either the best or second best by 2017. That puts him on current Durant level. How is this supporting cast plus the guy(s) we add once we get Gordon off the books not better than Durants current supporting cast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't think Evans and Holiday are even close to the same level as Westbrook and Ibaka. Some people consider Westbrook a top 10 player I don't know if I consider Holiday a top 10 PG.

I don't think Evans and Holiday are even close to the same level as Westbrook and Ibaka. Some people consider Westbrook a top 10 player I don't know if I consider Holiday a top 10 PG.
    Agrees again throne. This team's talent level is overrated on this board. Evans/Holliday is not getting us anywhere. Durant has Westbrook and AD has Ryno or Evans or Holliday. Not even close imo

Russell Westbrook is the reason OKC will never win a title. And I'm not the only person that feels that way.

As for Reke and Jrue... I think they'll both be much better next season. I'm not ready to rank them but you could see them both playing tentative early this season (and Reke was playing hurt for half the season). They know the system now, and they look more comfortable with their teammates.

Should be fun to watch.
    Last edited by DroopyDawg; 05-15-2014 at 01:36 PM.

So, do only the top 3 guys on a roster count? I'm confused.

Or how about the Spurs? Davis in 2-3 years will be better than any guy currently on their roster. Ryno, Jrue, Evans as good as 2-4 on the Spurs. Gotta keep adding depth. Rivers, Morrow, Withey a good start. Subtract Gordon's deal and add 2-3 good players in its place.

More than one way to skin a cat.

If AD is a top 3 player, they will be contenders. You have to have a TERRIBLE roster around a top 3 player to have them not be a contender. See: Cavs w/ Lebron. Heck, Heat (currently) with Lebron. Even w/o Wade they are a contender.

If he gets to that level, automatic contender.

That's not enough. Even if we assume Davis is a top 3-5 player in the league he alone isn't winning a title alone.
    Mostly I was joking. I realize that it takes more than one player to compete for a championship

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    So, do only the top 3 guys on a roster count? I'm confused.

Or how about the Spurs? Davis in 2-3 years will be better than any guy currently on their roster. Ryno, Jrue, Evans as good as 2-4 on the Spurs. Gotta keep adding depth. Rivers, Morrow, Withey a good start. Subtract Gordon's deal and add 2-3 good players in its place.

More than one way to skin a cat.

If AD is a top 3 player, they will be contenders. You have to have a TERRIBLE roster around a top 3 player to have them not be a contender. See: Cavs w/ Lebron. Heck, Heat (currently) with Lebron. Even w/o Wade they are a contender.

If he gets to that level, automatic contender.
    The Cavs with LeBron were contenders for at least three years.

To Throne, I don't think Ibaka is that far ahead (if ahead at all) of any of Holiday, Evans, or Anderson.

What people gotta remember is that top 3 players also make guys around them better. Ibaka on the Bucks, for instance, is not a great player.

If/When AD becomes top 3, he makes the game so much easier for everyone else. B players become B+ players, C+ players become B or B- players and so on and so on.

When you have a player at that level, you have a contender. We can keep arguing about the pieces around AD, but really the whole franchise depends on him becoming that guy

I personally think that Westbrook is pretty over rated. Jrue shot better a better fg% and 3 point %, he also averaged more assists. Westbrook was the better defender according to Basketball refrence, but Jrue does one thing that Westbrook generally doesn't which is pass the ball to the star of the team. Westbrook puts up inflated #'s because they generally need him to score as well.

Honestly I think a core of Davis, Jrue and Evans is going to be much better than Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka. Especially when they have had time to play with each other.

Thread Information