Pelicans Report

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12

Thread: Stan Van Gundy to not retain Monroe

We have two hopes for a championship with AD:
    1) The Tim Duncan model, where we constantly reload around him with a couple of All-Stars, and he is willing to take less than the MAX later in his career to allow that to function.
    2) The Dwayne Wade model, where he attracts another superstar or two to take less than their MAX just for the opportunity to win with him.
    The loyalty of those two players to their teams has created the championship runs for those teams. That is what we must hope for. Hopefully AD is not like LeBron in his choice of career path. In the LeBron model, we are Cleveland.....

As for their place in the pecking order, AD is no Lebron James since he can't play every position at an elite level on both ends or hit insane percentages from 3 whenever he chooses. I don't expect him to ever do those things. He can do a couple of things that LeBron can't do on defense, and I would put him in the Top 5 already with potential to take LeBron's place at the top of the heap as AD rises and LeBron fades with age. If AD is able to shut down LeBron in a Finals that we win, he will take over the crown.....

Quote Originally Posted by NOEngineer View Post
    1) The Tim Duncan model, where we constantly reload around him with a couple of All-Stars, and he is willing to take less than the MAX later in his career to allow that to function.
    2) The Dwayne Wade model, where he attracts another superstar or two to take less than their MAX just for the opportunity to win with him.
    The loyalty of those two players to their teams has created the championship runs for those teams. That is what we must hope for. Hopefully AD is not like LeBron in his choice of career path. In the LeBron model, we are Cleveland.....

As for their place in the pecking order, AD is no Lebron James since he can't play every position at an elite level on both ends or hit insane percentages from 3 whenever he chooses. I don't expect him to ever do those things. He can do a couple of things that LeBron can't do on defense, and I would put him in the Top 5 already with potential to take LeBron's place at the top of the heap as AD rises and LeBron fades with age. If AD is able to shut down LeBron in a Finals that we win, he will take over the crown.....
    There could also be something called the AD model in a few years, depending how this all plays out. We are attempting something different and new.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    There could also be something called the AD model in a few years, depending how this all plays out. We are attempting something different and new.
    Right. Why copy cat. We should blaze our own path
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    When was the last Time the Spurs won it all? 2007? That's 7 years ago. There have been 2 other teams that have gone back to back in that span. The Spurs brand of ball will definitely keep your team relevant but I'm not so sure it'll make you a dynasty anymore. Talent wins out 90% of the time. Team ball is awesome and I'm all for it but in today's nba, just give me 3 of the best players and I'll take my chances.
    As a fan I'd gladly take what the Spurs did since 07. Winning a title takes so many factors outside of just the teams overall talent and style of play. The Spurs were laterally one of the more improbable made shot away from wining it all last year.

Quote Originally Posted by NOEngineer View Post

That's not the Wade model. That's the glamour market model. You can point to Boston and Los Angeles doing the same thing recently.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    As a fan I'd gladly take what the Spurs did since 07. Winning a title takes so many factors outside of just the teams overall talent and style of play. The Spurs were laterally one of the more improbable made shot away from wining it all last year.
    Woulda coulda should but they didn't. They had ot to right that wrong but the best player in the world took over the game and the rest is history

The Franchise    Contributor   

How many posts since anybody mentioned SVG or Monroe?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugeaux II View Post
    How many posts since anybody mentioned SVG or Monroe?
    Seriously. What happened to my thread, yo?

Quote Originally Posted by Bongzilla View Post
    It's simply non-conformity, and just like skip clueless, he is getting the attention he desires, by taking a contrarian view on our superstar.

The only logic he uses is team wins. Does anyone but DT not see the fundamental flaw with holding 1 out of 15 directly responsible??? Especially a 20 year old, on a team decimated by injuries and bad coaching?

Face it man, you took a chance and tried to set yourself up for the greatest "I told you so moment in history."

But it has clearly backfired it's time to let it go.....
    Exactly.

I just read through this whole thread and I wanna comment so badly but I have no idea what to say, should I post a differing opinion and have everyone call me a troll? should I just talk about how good davis is and will be? should I try to explain how a contending got to be good and then just call that a model for us to follow when really there is no way to follow? I sure wish I could say something about Monroe but I don't think anyone would respond.
    never assume

I just pray they only want gordon for Monroe. That by itself would make my day err uh off season.
    I'm a grinder

Quote Originally Posted by tthier2 View Post
    I just pray they only want gordon for Monroe. That by itself would make my day err uh off season.
    No way. I think the most possible deal would Ryno/Gordon for Monroe (if we do trade for him)

I would do Gordon and Ryno for Monroe, again if it were a 12 mil per year salary.

Would put the new Core 4 (or Four Horsemen) at about 38 mil per year for the next 2 years. Plenty of money to add the SF we need and continue to add depth.
    @mcnamara247

I don't think Monroe is a max player, but that's what he will get, or close to it.

For your price, I'll do this trade too, but I would hate to lose Ryno.

I think Ryno's skillset is more valuable to the team than Monroe's.
    So Ryno is an untradable unless its for a good SF.

I'm so indifferent about this deal it's not even funny. Not sure if thats good or bad.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

I would hate to lose Ryno, but getting rid of Gordon would be such a huge plus that it would be worth it.

Then, I go get a bunch of guys who can help this yr who have 1 yr on their deal from teams looking to cut salary like Jared Dudley, Tyson Chandler, Dunleavy, etc. That way I can make the playoffs this year and have a ton of room next summer to get the last piece. If AD becomes who we think he will next year, who wouldnt want to come play with those 4 up and coming guys in 2015?

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I would hate to lose Ryno, but getting rid of Gordon would be such a huge plus that it would be worth it.

Then, I go get a bunch of guys who can help this yr who have 1 yr on their deal from teams looking to cut salary like Jared Dudley, Tyson Chandler, Dunleavy, etc. That way I can make the playoffs this year and have a ton of room next summer to get the last piece. If AD becomes who we think he will next year, who wouldnt want to come play with those 4 up and coming guys in 2015?
    If you had the option of moving Ryno/Gordon for Monroe or doing one of the things you've written about like stretching Gordon's contract, which would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    If you had the option of moving Ryno/Gordon for Monroe or doing one of the things you've written about like stretching Gordon's contract, which would you do?
    It really depends on a couple things I cant know right now:

1. What kind of contract Monroe gets
    2. If Gordon is even open to waiving his final year for us or someone else
    3. What other offers I have on the table for Gordon

If Monroe can be had for 4/48 or less and there is no chance Gordon opts out and nobody is willing to give up an expiring for him, I would make the deal. But I would prefer moving him for an expiring if possible, or if Monroe wants more than that, I prefer the stretch because Ryno and a stretched Gordon would take up less cap room than a maxed out Monroe.

Thread Information