Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Stan Van Gundy to not retain Monroe

Rumor Stan Van Gundy to not retain Monroe

Pistons fans called for a Ryno a future 1st for Monroe swap today. Have zero interest in Gordon. Lets assume thier GM has a similar line of thinking. Of course I try to give them Gordon, they say no and counter with Anderson. At that point, I gotta talk to Monroe and find out his contract demands. If he really is asking for 13-15 million, I have no interest in that trade.

If Monroe comes down to 10 mil a year, we can talk. Even then, I'm still 50/50
    @mcnamara247

No way I do the Ryno and future 1st trade. He is waaaay too valuable and just what the Pistons need.We all know everyone likes to criminally underrate Ryno. They'd be better with a Illyasova and first trade.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Yeah I don't really know if I'd move Ryno for Monroe. And I don't know how you could give fair playing time to Davis, Monroe, and Anderson if they are all here.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    Yeah I don't really know if I'd move Ryno for Monroe. And I don't know how you could give fair playing time to Davis, Monroe, and Anderson if they are all here.
    The second issue isn't as difficult. If you figure that those guys can play together for 6 minutes a game, that gives you 104 minutes to play with. Plenty for each of them.

The issue is Monroe's salary. We would have to pay him 14-15 mil per. At best, he would be our 4th option. Why make your 4th option your highest paid player?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Why make your 4th option your highest paid player?
    Hmmmmm Eric Gordon?

I don't think Monroe gets that much unless Dallas or LA throw it at him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
    Hmmmmm Eric Gordon?

I don't think Monroe gets that much unless Dallas or LA throw it at him.
    Exactly!! We should learn from our Gordon mistake. Do not pay a 4th option max money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No thanks. His defense is abysmal.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    You bring him in, don't expect great D. Or any D. But he will be a guy that'll move the ball, rebound, score, run the floor, set great picks, etc.

While the arguments for not retaining him are legitimate, I can't shake the thought of how good they looked together at the Team USA Showcase.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

If it came down to moving Ryno for the right guy, I'd do it becuase we have Babbit on the bench. He gives you 60% of Ryno. Idk if Monroe is the right guy, but I think he would work great with AD in the front court for 10 million or less. But how do we satisfy our SF need? Gordon needs to be moved plain and simple.

If it came down to moving Ryno for the right guy, I'd do it becuase we have Babbit on the bench. He gives you 60% of Ryno. Idk if Monroe is the right guy, but I think he would work great with AD in the front court for 10 million or less. But how do we satisfy our SF need? Gordon needs to be moved plain and simple.
    Unfortunately, with suitors like LA and CHA out there, I don't see Monroe getting anything less than a max deal. I would be pretty upset if we went after him with that figure in mind.

Monroe for Ryno is a lateral move at best considering the contracts. If you can't add him to the Core 4, you shouldn't be interested.

He IS from the Westbank and you know how much westbankers love the westbank.... Hometown discount? lol (i am kidding and honestly surprised westbank has not been mentioned yet) /obligatory

Even if I really like him, he's a questionable fit. His lack of defense may be a bit exaggerated, but I think he'll never be a defensive force. But, heck, this team would be so awesome to watch with him alongside AD.

Demps said he was looking to be innovative this summer, so if he could work his magic to lure Monroe without losing one of the core 4, maybe using Ely's contract and the ultra-cheap Ajinca, I would be ecstatic.

Would Babitt (sp?) make Ryno expendable? No he's not as deadly as Ryno, but he still stretches the floor, and does give more defensively than Ryno.

I still would have to hold onto Ryno I just think he's the best shooter in the league not named "Curry".

I would do it. His efficiency is on par with Dirk, Amare, and Andy Verajao, and while his defense isn't anywhere to be found, the guy he will be playing next to for the next few years is amazing. As they learn each others tendencies you will see a lot of growth in his defense.

The only thing stopping me from trading Anderson for Monroe is the price tag. If Monroe will come here on a $10mil deal then I am all for it. If he wants Gordon money, then no. The issue of trading Anderson for him is a non issue. We don't know what Anderson we are getting back, and for how long. We know who Monroe is, and he is young enough where you can expect more from him.

In losing Anderson you lose a big who can shoot the lights out, but who knows how much of that he will regain when all is said and done with the injury. The good thing is you have Babbit, and bigs that can shoot the lights out are in vogue now. Bigs are slowly moving away from the post, and outside towards the arc. We wont find another Anderson, but you don't necessarily have to either.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Tell Gordon you'll trade him if he opts out of his final year.

Trade Gordon+future 1st to LAL, UTA, or anyone else with cap room and no interest in/from big money FAs. They get a huge expiring and a pick.

Sign Monroe into the cap room we gain from trading Gordon.

If the front court is too crowded, trade Monroe or Anderson either at the deadline or next offseason for a "young vet" SF.

Well let's take a look using HornetGuru's favorite statistic. Babbit posted a 12.9 points (on 37.9% 3pt shooting) PER36 last year. Ryno posted 19.7 points on 40.9% 3pt shooting. That's 65.5% of the scoring production with 3% less efficiency. Looks like you weren't far off!

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Ryno is a great luxury. But he won't be the deciding factor in winning us a championship. I love that we have him, but he's so tradable it ain't funny. Just wanna get the right kinda player.

If we can get Kentavious Caldwell-Pope in the deal, gotta do it.

Elite offense is more fun to watch but man I'd like to see what our team would look like with even an average defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Ryno is a great luxury. But he won't be the deciding factor in winning us a championship. I love that we have him, but he's so tradable it ain't funny. Just wanna get the right kinda player.

So a guy from one of the worst draft classes of all time who had a terrible rookie year is the deal breaker?

There is nothing outside of Drummond for Ryno that I would have any interest in. I agree he could be had for the right guy, but an overpaid Monroe and an underperforming KCP would not fit that criteria for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post

cosign (minus the KCP part).

The Franchise
    With the cap going up Monroe will get close to max if not max. If Monroe could be had for around 12 I'd be happy. With the money they'll have available I'd guess they'd want to sign 2 good players. What if they sign one good and trade for Gordon with the understanding he'll opt out. Then next year they can go after another big name in the summer of 15. SVG is keeping the hope alive for me.

Someone mentioned Drummond and now all I can think about is a Davis/Drummond front court. Which I have had on 2k and it is fuuuuuuuuuuun.

Silliness aside, I don't really see a place for him on the roster at his probable salary. The question, for me, is how good is his defense compared to Ryno? Because not only does it have to be better than Rynos, but it needs to be better to the point where it would be a net positive for the team if you factor in the loss on offense that we'd suffer with Ryno not there shooting the 3 and providing spacing. If that makes sense.

Also, if you are part of the "Davis is a PF" camp (in terms of the role a PF usually plays on a team, caus I know some don't think in terms of position), then it's a question of whether Monroe is a centre, at least in the future. I don't know the answer to that question btw.
    WaseMzantsi Afrika

Thread Information