Pelicans Report

Thread: The History of the MLE and How the Pelicans Might Use It

The History of the MLE and How the Pelicans Might Use It

I was interested to see how teams have used the MLE in the past and how the Pelicans might utilize the MLE this summer.

Warning, the piece gets a little numbers heavy, so it is dry in areas, but I think it brings some new info to the table. Looking forward to the discussion

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...-might-use-it/
    @mcnamara247

I've heard Dell state several times that he likes his cap situation going into this offseason. Now whether or not he was being overly optimistic in front of the media is for each peron to decide for themselves, but to me he was being honest. I've also heard Monty, Dell, Sean Payton and Loomis all say that they believe they work for the best owner in the NBA (or NFL) because he gives them what they need to succeed. Whether or not that includes going over the cap and into tax territory (at least temporarily) is debatable, but it's still a very good sign for the future of the team.

There appears to be many, many ways that Demps can slice the Salary Cap Pie to fill in the gaps of the team. I think management will do everything they can financially to surround AD with the necessary pieces to contend for a Championship every year just as they Saints have done almost every year they've had a Championship caliber QB on the roster. The difference being, of course, is that ML and SP are proven commodities whereas DD and MW are not.

Hopefully they see what you see Mike and plan their strategy for this free agency period AND NEXT so that they maximize their cap space to its highest efficiency. I also like the ideas of Koufas (although I don't know why Memphis would trade him), PJ Tucker and Jared Dudley.

All I know is that nothing is more important than getting the right players around AD because a guy like that doesn't drop into your lap very often.

I will say that they have a guy who helps Dell out with this stuff that is way smarter for me. For instance, go back to how we got Lopez. It was a multi step process that even I couldnt see coming. Brilliant.

He does have options here. Which is why I have always said - Imagine how many more he would have and what he can do with it if a certain SG was off the roster!

Nice. I didn't realize all you need to use the MLE was less cap space than the MLE offers. The trade exception on Aminu is a great idea, if we can get a team to bite, which I believe we can - however I'm actually all for keeping Aminu as a backup SF. Offer whatever part of the MLE it takes to get a PJ Tucker type, resign Smith and Aminu, trade Pierre and Ely for Koufos. The thing about sending out Aminu for a TE is that we already have the easy pieces in place to get a player in that range already. I think if we move Aminu it's going to be for an asset, not just a TE that we can cover easily already. The Ely move was amazing.

That article really highlights that nothing of significance will happen until they move Gordon. The best case scenario is keeping Morrow, adding a one dimensional SF, and stealing Koufos from the Grizzlies.

I would say that is pretty significant. Add that to a healthy core and this is a top tier team IMO.

But yes, if you can move Gordon and add a top tier SF or C, then that would be fantastic. But as Dell keeps saying, it will be the Core that takes us there or doesn't.

Thread Information