Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Mike D'Antoni Resigns

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I don't agree with your main point, but I understand where you are coming from. Hopefully the game can evolve into a beautiful free-flowing spectacle, but atm we are stuck in a defensively advanced era. Good defense is fun to watch, but the slow *** half court run out the clock sets kill my enjoyment sometimes.
    Every NBA player or coach will tell you great offense beats great defense. Of course Mike D'Antoni's teams allow more points, they're playing way more possessions per game. The efficiently of his teams offensively is second to none. The point differential he had with the Suns proves it can work.

It's the right play for the Pelicans. It wouldn't take that long for all the Pelicans home games to sell out either. It would be the right move for Tom Benson, for Dell Demps, for Mike D'Antoni and for the New Orleans Pelicans.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 05-01-2014 at 07:06 AM.

I'd rather have isiah thomas coaching this team than d'antoni

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Mike D has no defense in his coaching AT ALL. We would be great offensively, better than last year or with Monty, but probably worse defensively.

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsRynosTime View Post
    Every NBA player or coach will tell you great offense beats great defense
    Then "every NBA player or coach" has never watched the playoffs, ever.

I don't know how anyone comes to believe defense is more important (or more important in the playoffs). Are we watching the same sport? NBA rules favor offensive players. The touch fouls. Why do you think Kobe Bryant can score on double teams, because great offense beats great defense any day. It's not possible to guard Kobe or LeBron 1 on 1.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 05-01-2014 at 08:13 AM.

Here is all the proof you need:

2014 Offensive Efficiency

1 Clippers
    2 Miami
    2 Dallas
    4 Houston
    5 Portland
    6 San Antonio
    7 Oklahoma City
    8 Phoenix
    9 Toronto

2014 Defensive Efficiency

1 Indiana
    2 Chicago
    3 Golden State
    4 San Antonio
    5 Oklahoma City
    6 Charlotte
    7 Clippers
    7 Memphis
    9 Toronto

Here is all the proof you need:

2014 Offensive Efficiency

1 Clippers
    2 Miami
    2 Dallas
    4 Houston
    5 Portland
    6 San Antonio
    7 Oklahoma City
    8 Phoenix
    9 Toronto

2014 Defensive Efficiency

1 Indiana
    2 Chicago
    3 Golden State
    4 San Antonio
    5 Oklahoma City
    6 Charlotte
    7 Clippers
    7 Memphis
    9 Toronto
    Now that I have proven offense is more important than defense, Mike D'Antoni for head coach.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 05-01-2014 at 07:39 AM.

Btw New Orleans was 13th in Offensive Efficiency and 25th in Defensive Efficiency this year. That being said there were nine teams with better Offensive Efficiency in the West.

The Lakers were 21th in Offensive Efficiency and 28th in Defensive Efficiency this year.

This tells us, with Mike D'Antoni as coach, not only would the Pelicans not be worse defensively than this year, I have reason to believe they will be a little better, I will explain.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 05-01-2014 at 07:53 AM.

While I have my reservations about D'Antoni coaching this team RynoTime has a solid point. You can win specializing in one side or the other. I think people get caught up into winning titles too much. That's not something you can really predict and requires as much luck as it does careful planning. All a front office can do is put together a contending team and hope for the best.

Teams are based on the core. Most agree that our core is Davis, Evans, Holiday, Anderson. We only expect Davis and Holiday to be significant plus players on defense. Some of the guys we'll likely bring back in Morrow, Babbitt, and Roberts only offensives guys. In theory Mike's run and gun style fits with this team does best barring there are no major changes in the offseason.

Phoenix Suns under Mike D'Antoni

04-05 #1 Offensive Efficiency, #20 Defensive Efficiency
    05-06 #1 Offensive Efficiency, #19 Defensive Efficiency
    06-07 #1 Offensive Efficiency, #16 Defensive Efficiency
    07-08 #1 Offensive Efficiency, #17 Defensive Efficiency

Anyone who flat out doesn't want Mike D'Antoni doesn't care about winning. I want the Pelicans to win. I want Mike D'Antoni.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 05-01-2014 at 08:01 AM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Keep fighting the good fight, player.
    Last edited by Eman5805; 05-01-2014 at 08:08 AM.

Anyone who flat out doesn't want Mike D'Antoni doesn't care about winning. I want the Pelicans to win. I want Mike D'Antoni.
    Why don't you also post the years he was unsucessful. You're cherry picking your argument instead of bringing all the facts to the table sir. Those Suns teams were very good without a doubt, but he's also coached some doozys.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    While I have my reservations about D'Antoni coaching this team RynoTime has a solid point. You can win specializing in one side or the other. I think people get caught up into winning titles too much. That's not something you can really predict and requires as much luck as it does careful planning. All a front office can do is put together a contending team and hope for the best.

Teams are based on the core. Most agree that our core is Davis, Evans, Holiday, Anderson. We only expect Davis and Holiday to be significant plus players on defense. Some of the guys we'll likely bring back in Morrow, Babbitt, and Roberts only offensives guys. In theory Mike's run and gun style fits with this team does best barring there are no major changes in the offseason.
    Thanks Throne. I absolutely agree with everything you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    That is a huge logical leap you are trying to make. I honest don't care about Shaka or Mike D. But for you to sit there and trash talk one coach for being gimmicky and then call for another coach who has ONLY EVER shown he is a gimmicky coach is hypocritical and foolish.

Again. I Couldn't care less about either of them. Shaka might be an amazing coach. But he's still only shown he's a gimmick coach so far. Trying to make any argument to the contrary is wrong until he shows he is going to run a normal set. It doesn't matter who he coaches. It's his defensive philosophy. It might work amazing. But it's still a gimmick philosophy. Out of the two Mike D has proved far more because he has shown his offense can work in the NBA. There are many people who feel Shaka's defense won't translate. But all of that is irrelevant. I was merely pointing out how much of a hypocrite you were for trashing one gimmick coach and begging for another.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    So because he is a pressure D coach and makes his team play hard it's gimmicky? ?? Cmon your reaching too much just for an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Why don't you also post the years he was unsucessful. You're cherry picking your argument instead of bringing all the facts to the table sir. Those Suns teams were very good without a doubt, but he's also coached some doozys.
    Sure, I'll indulge you.

08-09 17th Offensive Efficiency, 24th Defensive Efficiency
    09-10 15th Offensive Efficiency, 27th Defensive Efficiency
    10-11 5th Offensive Efficiency, 21st Defensive Efficiency

This was the 2010-2011 New York Knicks in order of Minutes played:

Amar'e Stoudemire
    Laundry Fields
    Raymon Felton (54 games, traded to Nuggets)
    Toney Douglas
    Wilson Chandler (51 games, traded to Nuggets)
    Danilo Gallinari (48 games, traded to Nuggets)
    Shawne Williams
    Ronny Turiaf
    Carmelo Anthony (27 games, traded to Knicks)

This team went 42-40.

Why did I only include his best years? I think the Pelicans are closer to his Suns than his Knicks.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 05-01-2014 at 09:24 AM.

Sure, I'll indulge you.

08-09 17th Offensive Efficiency, 24th Defensive Efficiency
    09-10 15th Offensive Efficiency, 27th Defensive Efficiency
    10-11 5th Offensive Efficiency, 21st Offensive Efficiency

This was the 2010-2011 New York Knicks in order of Minutes played:

Amar'e Stoudemire
    Laundry Fields
    Raymon Felton (54 games, traded to Nuggets)
    Toney Douglas
    Wilson Chandler (51 games, traded to Nuggets)
    Danilo Gallinari (48 games, traded to Nuggets)
    Shawne Williams
    Ronny Turiaf
    Carmelo Anthony (27 games, traded to Knicks)

This team went 42-40.

Why did I only include his best years? I think the Pelicans are closer to his Suns than his Knicks.
    I guess my point against him is this. He's been sucessful with one team with a lot of good players on it. His offensive system isn't the end all be all to sucess. I don't think he's absolute trash like a lot of people think; but there's a lot of coaches that win a lot of games with Nash, Johnson, Amare, Marion, Barbosa, Dragic, Diaw etc... He's never been able to really put it together with a team that didn't have the personelle specifically designed for his offense? See what i'm saying?

No, they just want to do more than win in the regular season. How much did those #1 offensive efficiencies get him in the playoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Keep fighting the good fight, player.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 05-01-2014 at 09:39 AM.

I guess my point against him is this. He's been sucessful with one team with a lot of good players on it. His offensive system isn't the end all be all to sucess. I don't think he's absolute trash like a lot of people think; but there's a lot of coaches that win a lot of games with Nash, Johnson, Amare, Marion, Barbosa, Dragic, Diaw etc... He's never been able to really put it together with a team that didn't have the personelle specifically designed for his offense? See what i'm saying?
    No doubt he is a system coach. However the question is do we have the players that fit his system. Looking at our roster I think we will provided the guys I mentioned are retained. Especially if we add a guy like P.J. Tucker, Jared Dudley, or Marvin Williams in the off season.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Cool, how many championships has he won?

but there's a lot of coaches that win a lot of games with Nash, Johnson, Amare, Marion, Barbosa, Dragic, Diaw etc... He's never been able to really put it together with a team that didn't have the personelle specifically designed for his offense? See what i'm saying?
    Goran Dragic never played under Mike D'Antoni. Gragic was a rookie in 2008-2009. Mike D'Antoni was with the Knicks in 2008-2009. Boris Diaw couldn't shoot 3's well like he does now with the Spurs. Back under D'Antoni he had his most productive minutes. Diaw had a one hit wonder year where he had 6.9 rebounds, 6.2 assists, 1 block and 13.3 points that he hasn't matched since. Many players had their best years under Mike D'Antoni, it was the system.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 05-01-2014 at 09:58 AM.

Goran Dragic never played under Mike D'Antoni. Gragic was a rookie in 2008-2009. Mike D'Antoni was with the Knicks in 2008-2009. Boris Diaw couldn't shoot 3's well like he does now with the Spurs. Back under D'Antoni he had his most productive minutes. Diaw had a one hit wonder year where he had 6.9 rebounds, 6.2 assists, 1 block and 13.3 points that he hasn't matched since. Many players had their best years under Mike D'Antoni, it was the system.
    You picked out some VERY small pieces of the overall point to disect.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    No doubt he is a system coach. However the question is do we have the players that fit his system. Looking at our roster I think we will provided the guys I mentioned are retained. Especially if we add a guy like P.J. Tucker, Jared Dudley, or Marvin Williams in the off season.
    I guess it's all moot to me. Monty will be back next year regardless. Maybe next offseason this will be a more valuable conversation. I think we certainly have a lot of offensive firepower that could thrive under his system after a few years, but i'm not sure if we have a conduit like Nash to really push us to elite levels. I love Jrue and respect the hell out of him, but he doesn't see the court like Nash.

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    Cool, how many championships has he won?
    How many has Monty won? Who has made it deeper in the Playoffs? Who has a better win %?

I don't care about Mike D. But at least the guy has gotten his team to the finals. What has Monty proved other than he's an under achiever and he's stuck in 90s basketball? People talk about the game evolving and Mike D not with the times. What does that make Monty? A Dinosaur? And on top of that he's not even living up to the one thing he's suppose to be good at. Coaching defense.

I'm not on any bandwagon with either of them. But some of the arguments people are making against Mike D is just plain silly.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I guess it's all moot to me. Monty will be back next year regardless. Maybe next offseason this will be a more valuable conversation. I think we certainly have a lot of offensive firepower that could thrive under his system after a few years, but i'm not sure if we have a conduit like Nash to really push us to elite levels. I love Jrue and respect the hell out of him, but he doesn't see the court like Nash.
    First the list of people that see the court like Nash is something like

Kidd
    Magic
    Stockton
    Paul

In my years of watching the sport so asking for a Nash like PG is rare(and that's putting it mildly).

To your point about this being moot sure it is, but we could end most of the threads if we took that approach. Where would the fun be in that?

Thread Information