Pelicans Report

Thread: Pelicans playoffs

Pelicans playoffs

So far this year the playoffs have been exciting , I can't wait to see AD , Tyreke and the rest of the Pels kicking ***** in the playoffs next year . Watching these gAmes and thinking how exciting it's gonna be man I wish next season would hurry up and get here . GO PELS

Pellies in 4

They have a lot to learn still. I've noticed this year how so many of these teams have great ball movement and play unselfishly and the ones who play selfishly seem to struggle. We have a long way to go there. The truth is we're still playing pretty immature.
    I also noticed an interesting comparison. We finished this year 22-19 at home but 12-29 on the road. Last season Washington was 22-19 at home and 7-34 on the road. I think part of maturity is learning how to deal with the boos and heckles, how to fight through adversity, and learn how to score the easy points like corner threes and free throws when the defense tightens up.
    That and health.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    Pellies in 4
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	animated_broom.gif 
Views:	33 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	5551
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

I also see it the other way. Some of these games would be gut punching losses if we are on the other end. Like, imagine being a Rockets fan after Game 1 or Spurs fan yesterday.

Getting to the playoffs is awesome and when things are good, there is nothing better, but it will hurt A LOT on some nights.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I also see it the other way. Some of these games would be gut punching losses if we are on the other end. Like, imagine being a Rockets fan after Game 1 or Spurs fan yesterday.

Getting to the playoffs is awesome and when things are good, there is nothing better, but it will hurt A LOT on some nights.
    http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=290427003

That night didnt hurt as much as Game 7 verse the Spurs. I knew we had no shot in 08-09, but the way we beat the Spurs at home in that series, I thought we were on our way to the WCF.

That one hurt.

That night didnt hurt as much as Game 7 verse the Spurs. I knew we had no shot in 08-09, but the way we beat the Spurs at home in that series, I thought we were on our way to the WCF.

That one hurt.
    I was a Hornets fan as a kid, became disenfranchsed with sports as I grew into teen nerd and finally came back around in the 08-09 season. I've been jealous of the other fans that they got to see the rise to prominence while I have just watched decline (until AD that is). I'm not jealous of the ending of that year though. So for my first year as an adult fan that Nuggets series hurt. Especially that game. I must have slammed the lid to my laptop, taken a walk, and come back to try continuing to watch that game 5 times before just giving up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    They have a lot to learn still. I've noticed this year how so many of these teams have great ball movement and play unselfishly and the ones who play selfishly seem to struggle. We have a long way to go there. The truth is we're still playing pretty immature.
    I also noticed an interesting comparison. We finished this year 22-19 at home but 12-29 on the road. Last season Washington was 22-19 at home and 7-34 on the road. I think part of maturity is learning how to deal with the boos and heckles, how to fight through adversity, and learn how to score the easy points like corner threes and free throws when the defense tightens up.
    That and health.
    DC added season vets and are now doing great. I believe the Pelicans offseason will need to be SPOT ON and special because ball movement and immaturity is this team downfall. TBH i dont see the team as a playoff team next year. We heard GREAT things in the summer of 2013 offseason about how guys was battling in practice and were throwing the special word around about the squad, so there is alot I have to see before i jump to conclusion. Even if we are 100 percent healthy with the current roster, i dont trust our current game plans, schemes, and maturity. We need to really either : Add some vets,players, or redo schemes and mindsets for our overall identity, or Fire Monty (maybe Demps) and bring in a whole new philosophy/pedigree.

The more i watch other teams the more i feel less about the Pelicans honestly. I know Davis will dominate, like i KNOW this. But im not sure about anyone else on this team. Too many groundhogs. We need our players to know their damn role, and stay in their lane. And we need a more aggressive Reke Havoc Tyreke EVERY GAME.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

That one hurt.
    According to Skip Bayless, that Spurs team was sorry, and were not even that good that year and still beat us. Man I love Skip Bayless

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    DC added season vets and are now doing great. I believe the Pelicans offseason will need to be SPOT ON and special because ball movement and immaturity is this team downfall. TBH i dont see the team as a playoff team next year. We heard GREAT things in the summer of 2013 offseason about how guys was battling in practice and were throwing the special word around about the squad, so there is alot I have to see before i jump to conclusion. Even if we are 100 percent healthy with the current roster, i dont trust our current game plans, schemes, and maturity. We need to really either : Add some vets,players, or redo schemes and mindsets for our overall identity, or Fire Monty (maybe Demps) and bring in a whole new philosophy/pedigree.

The more i watch other teams the more i feel less about the Pelicans honestly. I know Davis will dominate, like i KNOW this. But im not sure about anyone else on this team. Too many groundhogs. We need our players to know their damn role, and stay in their lane. And we need a more aggressive Reke Havoc Tyreke EVERY GAME.
    I'm so happy to see people embrace Tyreke's game here. It took a while but as I've said a billion times, I have been a big fan of his since his rookie year even through his struggles and I think that if used right he can be a major force for us. Can I be a jerk for a second and question your comment on seasoned vets? The Ariza/Okafor trade was that very year. In fact Mediocre-for was healthy that year too. And Webster didn't do as well this year compared to last. I think that the difference was Wall maturing, Beal natually progressing, the two learning how to play well together, Nene being kind of healthy (by his standards), Gortat providing some offense, Contract Year Ariza showing up, and a year of all those guys except Gortat playing together as a unit. I still advocate for patience and sticking to the roster.

I don't trust Monty but his comments about how he makes mistakes and still has a lot to learn gives me hope that he's not completely stuck in the 90's. Maybe we can just push him into the mid 00's. My biggest fear is still knowing that we are going to look at a more traditional center to bring in and whoever that guy is I really don't want Monty to play him 20+ mpg.

I had already logged off the year we got destroyed by the nuggets, but the spurs series? That game 7? I remember waking up in the morning and checking the score before i went to school..i couldn't believe my eyes...i think i was pissed off/depressed for a whole week. I greatly disliked the spurs before then, but after that day, hated them a lot. The 60 point differential in the nuggets to me was next to nothing compared to that

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    That and health.
    Bingo. This was a team full of guys "off the street" after all the injuries. I would think if we were healthy across the board both records would have been better.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    We need to get some players on the team who have playoff experience, it's an underrated thing but most of our guys aren't going to know what to expect.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    According to Skip Bayless, that Spurs team was sorry, and were not even that good that year and still beat us. Man I love Skip Bayless
    He said that in regards to Chris Paul not winning anything and not being able to close out a series at home.

Thread Information