Pelicans Report

Thread: Funny / interesting random sighting

Pelicans Funny / interesting random sighting

So, I figured you guys might get a kick out of this and / or find it interesting...

I was sitting in a bar with my girlfriend and her friends on Friday night having some drinks, and the KK Cedevita vs. Partizan Beograd game in Belgrade, Serbia came on (I'm a NOLA expat living in Zadar, Croatia). I don't have any interest in either team, as the only European team I follow is KK Zadar, so I wasn't watching it, but right after the starting lineups were announced, I randomly glanced at the TV at the exact moment that the camera zoomed in on none other than Dell Demps, sitting courtside. The announcers also mentioned something quick about how the GM of the NBA New Orleans Pelicans was in town to see the game. Dell doin' work in Belgrade! I couldn't figure out who he was scouting, though. Any insight?

Jusef Nurkic is a 1st rounder this year if he comes out. Miro Bilan and Joffrey Lauvergne are other guys he could have some interest in. Bogdan Bogdanovic has his rights held by the Nets, so maybe a trade partner. But my guess is Leo Westermann, a guy I know he scouted in the past. Big PG who can rebound and has gotten better as a 3 pt shooter.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Jusef Nurkic is a 1st rounder this year if he comes out. Miro Bilan and Joffrey Lauvergne are other guys he could have some interest in. Bogdan Bogdanovic has his rights held by the Nets, so maybe a trade partner. But my guess is Leo Westermann, a guy I know he scouted in the past. Big PG who can rebound and has gotten better as a 3 pt shooter.
    Curious as to why Dell Demps is out there instead of other scouts within the Pelicans organization. I've always wondered what goes behind the decisions to send certain scouts to certain places or the decision of the GM to go scout talent first-hand in person. However, players such as the ones you mentioned above aren't that we'll-known so would that mean a trade offer is almost inevitable? Or else,
    Not sure why Dell is oversees himself. I know being a GM is hectic and you don't have a set schedule but recruiting talent overseas seems a bit odd if we don't have a pick, unless a trade is pending in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by MMEmbreno View Post
    Curious as to why Dell Demps is out there instead of other scouts within the Pelicans organization. I've always wondered what goes behind the decisions to send certain scouts to certain places or the decision of the GM to go scout talent first-hand in person. However, players such as the ones you mentioned above aren't that we'll-known so would that mean a trade offer is almost inevitable? Or else,
    Not sure why Dell is oversees himself. I know being a GM is hectic and you don't have a set schedule but recruiting talent overseas seems a bit odd if we don't have a pick, unless a trade is pending in the future.
    Trades are always pending. You have have players you would be willing to target in a trade before the trade scenario unfolds. If someone comes to you and wants to trade a overseas player that you have never watched, how do you make an informed decision. Also if some of these players maybe fall out to the beginning of the second round, Dell would know what price he'd pay to get one of them.

Just because he is out scouting, doesn't mean a trade is "inevitable."

My guess is that Demps has a lot of connections over there - both from playing over there and from his time with the Spurs. So, he wants to meet with the coaches and FO people face to face to talk about guys. Some random scout wouldnt have the same pull. Plus, on a personal level - where would you rather go to: Lexington, Kentucky and Columbus, Ohio or travel all over Europe? Easy choice IMO. No offense to Lexington and Colombus.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Besides, what else is Demps got to do? Watch the playoffs? May as well see these players in person. See if they're worth trading into the draft for.

His lover boy Dario Saric ain't entering the draft, btw. IIRC

Nurkic is a load. Almost 7', 280lbs? 7'2" wingspan. And he's only 19. But he's not the greatest of athletes. Very below the rim. I could see Demps looking hard at him and seeing if he declares or not.
    Last edited by Eman5805; 04-27-2014 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Besides, what else is Demps got to do? Watch the playoffs? May as well see these players in person. See if they're worth trading into the draft for.

His lover boy Dario Saric ain't entering the draft, btw. IIRC
    Wait, for real? He is staying again? Honestly, don't understand that.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Pfft. I just double checked and he literally declared in like the last day or so.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...2014-nba-draft

Sitting in a bar now watching Cibona Vs. Cedevita(the 2 Zagreb teams) and a big fan did indeed inform me that yes, Saric is going to the NBA this year.

And PS Saric looks NASTY.

Like seriously how the heck do you know all of this. Man I would love your job. Would be a honor to have so much insight.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crthomps View Post
    And PS Saric looks NASTY.
    Please give more detail, o great PR scout!!

Possible SF answer? Low cost, high reward option would be great for this team with AD's max kicking in in a few seasons

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by djpaul89 View Post

Possible SF answer? Low cost, high reward option would be great for this team with AD's max kicking in in a few seasons

He's a lottery pick but he would be a bad pick for us anyway if we had our pick he's more of a point foward a bad shooter but a great driver.

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    He's a lottery pick but he would be a bad pick for us anyway if we had our pick he's more of a point foward a bad shooter but a great driver.
    Right, that's what I remember from last year but I'm trying to see if any progress has been made. Of course I could just Google but I wanted to get the firsthand account.

I have to know. Did you do research after reading this thread or did you already know this info? That seems like some crazy random knowledge to just possess as I have to imagine it isn't a very common topic. Either way count me impressed.

Maybe Dell is trying to get a mid/late 1st and looking at Saric or Nurkic? Could Nurkic be our cheap answer for a 20min/night C? If we could move Pierre and Rivers for pick 16 and Nurkic is there, do you do it? I do. It's always cheaper to get a guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I have to know. Did you do research after reading this thread or did you already know this info? That seems like some crazy random knowledge to just possess as I have to imagine it isn't a very common topic. Either way count me impressed.

Maybe Dell is trying to get a mid/late 1st and looking at Saric or Nurkic? Could Nurkic be our cheap answer for a 20min/night C? If we could move Pierre and Rivers for pick 16 and Nurkic is there, do you do it? I do. It's always cheaper to get a guard.
    I did that piece a week or so ago on guys Dell might target similar to Morrow, Babbitt, and Ajinca so some of it was from researching that. For instance, Lauvergne almost made the column. Bogdanovic is a guy that I thought Dell might target in earlier trades, so I knew a lot about him - even talked about him on the podcast in February.

Westermann is a guy Dell scouted last year when he was looking at Saric an Nurkic is a guy I have watched for a few months now. Its quite sad, actually. But its what I enjoy.

If I had to guess, I think he is looking at guys to bring over for Summer League or sign to deals similar to Ajinca or Babbitt that are ready to play right away. I cant see this team adding any more 19 or 20 yr olds for a while.

I did that piece a week or so ago on guys Dell might target similar to Morrow, Babbitt, and Ajinca so some of it was from researching that. For instance, Lauvergne almost made the column. Bogdanovic is a guy that I thought Dell might target in earlier trades, so I knew a lot about him - even talked about him on the podcast in February.

Westermann is a guy Dell scouted last year when he was looking at Saric an Nurkic is a guy I have watched for a few months now. Its quite sad, actually. But its what I enjoy.
    Maybe sad for the general public but for us BB nerds you get a King's crown for that last post. At least for today. That's like Bar Trick level impressive.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    I admittedly don't know Leo Westermann from the man in the moon, but it raises some questions in my mind if he is going over there to look at another guard.... but, as MM suggested, there is apparently more to see over there as well....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by djpaul89 View Post

Haha, I'm no great scout, just a dude who likes basketball and has to get my fix where I can now that I live in Croatia. But yeah, that was a vague statement. What I meant was he looked really good against Cedevita, which is probably not much like saying he would look really good against the Spurs or Thunder or Heat. His jumper seemed to be a bit better, and he is an absolute load in the paint. Not the quickest guy, but he also seems to have pretty high basketball IQ for being so young. He was good with his spacing and pretty efficient with and without the ball. But I tend to agree he wouldnt be a good fit for this team considering our needs.

on an unrelated funny/interesting-sighting.... i saw Lance Thomas at the Phish show on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by crthomps View Post
    Haha, I'm no great scout, just a dude who likes basketball and has to get my fix where I can now that I live in Croatia. But yeah, that was a vague statement. What I meant was he looked really good against Cedevita, which is probably not much like saying he would look really good against the Spurs or Thunder or Heat. His jumper seemed to be a bit better, and he is an absolute load in the paint. Not the quickest guy, but he also seems to have pretty high basketball IQ for being so young. He was good with his spacing and pretty efficient with and without the ball. But I tend to agree he wouldnt be a good fit for this team considering our needs.
    Okay then, thanks man

Since we were talking about saric...

Thread Information