Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Uh oh, Los Angeles Clippers Owner, Donald Sterling, Recorded Saying Racist Remarks

You would think there would be some type of conduct policy in place for the owners for this exact reason. If one of the owner becomes toxic the league would have an easy out. This has the potential to harm every last one of the owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    I can't believe it at all, sorry. According to players and whoever else sterling has never made secret of his racism. There were actually articles about it in past years, do you seriously think that players and especially coaches knew nothing about it? In the world of cinderella and pocahontas perhaps
    Those articles were never as blown up as this. This is my first time hearing about the housing lawsuit, and those guys are hard focused on basketball.

So yeah, unless you lived in Los Angeles at that time, there is a good chance these guys just didn't pay much attention to it, especially when the man is cordial to your face. Michael Jordan was even caught off guard by these comments and he's spent time with this man before.

Real life is a bit complicated and hard for some to understand isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by wuggie View Post
    Wasn't CP the guy who said he only wanted an African American coach before they got Doc? You reap what you sew...
    Yep, and he said it once here in NOLA. However, that did not seem to cause an issue with any of the players or media then.

now this... I don't understand 1 bit
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

Quote Originally Posted by rt0307 View Post

now this... I don't understand 1 bit
    Their way of showing they stand with the Clippers roster and want Sterling out of the league. I wouldn't be surprised to see this trend catch on throughout the playoffs.
    Last edited by RUFshreve; 04-28-2014 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Their way of showing they stand with the Clippers roster and want Sterling out of the league. I wouldn't be surprised to see this trend catch on throughout the playoffs.
    but throwing down Heat gear? Heat ownership didn't do jack... no need for their brand to be disrespected (well... aside from "the choice")

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Yep, and he said it once here in NOLA. However, that did not seem to cause an issue with any of the players or media then.
    Source?

but throwing down Heat gear? Heat ownership didn't do jack... no need for their brand to be disrespected (well... aside from "the choice")
    Depends on the perspective, I reckon. I don't think it's disrespect to the Heat organization, it's just a symbol of protest against Sterling.

Its called solidarity, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Depends on the perspective, I reckon. I don't think it's disrespect to the Heat organization, it's just a symbol of protest against Sterling.
    Not just that it'll be the other 29 owners ultimately that can get this done. They have to see Sterling as a liability to their respective brands in order to make whatever necessary concessions needed to push Sterling out.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Not just that it'll be the other 29 owners ultimately that can get this done. They have to see Sterling as a liability to their respective brands in order to make whatever necessary concessions needed to push Sterling out.
    I really don't think the league can force Sterling to sell in that it would set a precedent I don't believe the other owners (and owners in other leagues) will want

the other owners will have to be the 1 to force him out... or the free market (see: sponsors, good players deciding to play elsewhere) will eventually push him to sell

I really don't think the league can force Sterling to sell in that it would set a precedent I don't believe the other owners (and owners in other leagues) will want

the other owners will have to be the 1 to force him out... or the free market (see: sponsors, good players deciding to play elsewhere) will eventually push him to sell
    I disagree. I think most leagues are so image conscious that the other NBA owners will see that having Sterling as an owner will hurt their bottomline. I think they'll see protecting the league's image as the "lesser evil" than setting this precedent.

I disagree. I think most leagues are so image conscious that the other NBA owners will see that having Sterling as an owner will hurt their bottomline. I think they'll see protecting the league's image as the "lesser evil" than setting this precedent.
    Yes but there is this thing called the first amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    Go tell your boss to suck a pelican's beak and see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    Go tell your boss to suck a pelican's left foot and see what happens
    Did he say it to his boss? No. I don't think he gets kicked out of the league.

What he did was wrong, but I don't think silver has it in him for that type of play. Most likely a year suspension and some fines and draft picks is what it will be.

exactly why I say the other owners may make him go

but the league should impose a severe fine and suspension (full season)... but let the other owners (or sponsors/fans) force him out

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    First Amendment only protects Sterling from being silenced by the government. Freedom of speech does not mean you get to say whatever you want and no one can do anything about it.

Did he say it to his boss? No. I don't think he gets kicked out of the league.

What he did was wrong, but I don't think silver has it in him for that type of play. Most likely a year suspension and some fines and draft picks is what it will be.
    In a market economy everyone has a boss. If no sponsors or fans support the team Sterling couldn't afford to own the team. The same goes for the entire NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    Taken straight from ESPN Top Comment
    Lmfao. I was just thinking same thing when I read it.

First amendment has nothing to do with what's happening here.

All-Star
    Maybe I'm walking on a thin ice here, but I must say that what Sterling said is void for me for one particular reason. It was a private conversation apparently recorded without his consent and it smells a set up big time. And though I loath Sterling I hope he can succesfully sue people who made this leak possible.

Everybody in NBA knows what kind of person Sterling is, and until now it was fine. CP3 went to play for him, Doc Rivers signed a lucrative contract there. Everything was fine then, but now everybody screams foul and demands Sterling to step down as Clippers owner. I find it a bit hypocritical.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar

Private organizations can do almost anything they want with their business. If the Silver wanted to pass a rule saying no coach or player can wear purple socks ever he can do so. If they want Sterling out, they will find a way.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Balakhonov View Post
    Maybe I'm walking on a thin ice here, but I must say that what Sterling said is void for me for one particular reason. It was a private conversation apparently recorded without his consent and it smells a set up big time. And though I loath Sterling I hope he can succesfully sue people who made this leak possible.

Everybody in NBA knows what kind of person Sterling is, and until now it was fine. CP3 went to play for him, Doc Rivers signed a lucrative contract there. Everything was fine then, but now everybody screams foul and demands Sterling to step down as Clippers owner. I find it a bit hypocritical.
    It was private and was without his consent, but the thing is this isn't going to the court of law. That the audio was obtained illegally doesn't change what he said or his views. For a person to feel that way who is in a position of that amount of power shouldn't be tolerated.

Also people can speculate and say what they want but IMO CP3 and Doc didn't know about this, at least to this extreme. I mean we are talking about a guy who was sued in the past because he wouldn't rent his properties to minorities.

The thing I find hypocritical is the responses to Sterlings comments. Anyone see Snoog Dogg's 15 second rant on YouTube? That in itself was a bit racist, but no one cares about that.

That makes sense to turn the CLIPPERS jerseys inside out because it hits the name of the brand of a racist owner. The heat one doesn't make much sense imho.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post

Private organizations can do almost anything they want with their business. If the Silver wanted to pass a rule saying no coach or player can wear purple socks ever he can do so. If they want Sterling out, they will find a way.
    the fact remains they can't just drop the hammer and say 'sell your team racist'. They'll have to think outside of the box. I'm really interested to see the press conference by both Silver and the NBAPA.

Thread Information