Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Uh oh, Los Angeles Clippers Owner, Donald Sterling, Recorded Saying Racist Remarks

Banned

Uh oh, Los Angeles Clippers Owner, Donald Sterling, Recorded Saying Racist Remarks

http://extramustard.si.com/2014/04/2...end/?eref=sihp

I may be reaching, but wonder if this will have an effect players wanting to play with a team owned by this guy. Aside from the racist aspect, this is a very odd conversation to have with his "girlfriend." Sure this will be interesting to watch unfold given most of the men he employs are black.
    Last edited by saintsinNO; 04-26-2014 at 12:48 PM.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    He should be compelled to sell his interest to the league until more suitable ownership can be secured. In the Clippers current state, that should take about 2.3 seconds.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

They all knew he was a racist before this - every player, coach, and FO executive in the league knows this. Yet, Blake agreed to extend his contract there and CP3 and Doc demanded to be traded there.

Reap what you sew.
    @mcnamara247

Banned
    Apparently D-Jordan put some photo up on IG addressing this, but can't see it for some reason.

You are probably seeing the right thing. It is just all black.

The English professors call that symbolism

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    You are probably seeing the right thing. It is just all black.

The English professors call that symbolism
    Ha I am a {edited - veiled language} but yeah, I am curious to see how this plays out. It's one thing to be internally known as a racist, but when it is shoved in peoples face like this and associated with the brand then it's a huge deal.

Ladies and Gentlemen, that is what CP3 wanted out so badly for. Bright Lights of L.A. must have hidden the white hoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    Ladies and Gentlemen, that is what CP3 wanted out so badly for. Bright Lights of L.A. must have hidden the white hoods.
    The one that confuses me even more is Doc Rivers. He knows all this about Sterling and yet he leaves on of the best ownership groups in Boston to go play for this man. I never understood that. Not like either team will ever win a title; At least work for some respectable people.

I am having a heated debate with this guy on twitter. Somehow what sterling said is only his opinion and not racism. Also, he says people are so quick to always pull the race card. Gee, maybe cause his remarks are racist!!!! Also he compared the following to make his point of people always pulling the race card. "If he had said don't hang out with lazy or stupid people. Would everyone be all offended like they are now?". Sorry but I gave up after that and realized I'm def dealing with a true ignorant fool. If I were a clippers fan I'd boycott the team until he was forced to sell. Period.

I don't get baron davis' tweet. "He's honest about what he believes in"...yeah, using the most inappropriate comparison (and yet the most exploited) i'm sure hitler too was just honest about what he believed in.

I mean, is being a racist excused now? "Yah just an ol' chap" or what? If anything, racism is usually the touchiest subject in the us, along with guns.

I think the argument would be the "Devil you know" argument.

Being involved with the devil you know is better than the devil you don't. Personally, if I was forced to either do business with:

A racist who pretends his isn't

or

A racist who is transparent

I take the latter every time. Again, I don't think Baron was excusing anything, but I think we are naive if we think Sterling is the only racist in professional sports. Others just hide it better

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I think the argument would be the "Devil you know" argument.

Being involved with the devil you know is better than the devil you don't. Personally, if I was forced to either do business with:

A racist who pretends his isn't

or

A racist who is transparent

I take the latter every time. Again, I don't think Baron was excusing anything, but I think we are naive if we think Sterling is the only racist in professional sports. Others just hide it better
    In professional sports? Probably not. That's a wide range of people. An owner of an nba team? I'd bet my azz he is the only one. A man in his position with those beliefs and remarks has no place in that business. Period.

This should be interesting. How did they get the audio recording?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    In professional sports? Probably not. That's a wide range of people. An owner of an nba team? I'd bet my azz he is the only one. A man in his position with those beliefs and remarks has no place in that business. Period.
    You'd lose your {edited AGAIN - language} then. No way he is the only.

For those interested in the girlfriend:

http://www.tmz.com/photos/2014/04/26...otos-0110-jpg/

NBA owners are mostly rich old white men. You really think he is the only one who is a racist?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    NBA owners are mostly rich old white men. You really think he is the only one who is a racist?
    Bingo, which is actually quite ironic because that too is a racist remark; however, I tend to agree, no way he is the only one.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar

I disagree. You all claiming their must be another racist owner cause they are old white men is racist itself. Pure speculation.

Banned
    I disagree. You all claiming their must be another racist owner cause they are old white men is racist itself. Pure speculation.
    There is a fine line between racism and realism. If you don't think that out of 30 team owners made up of rich white 1%ers there is only one guy with racist beliefs that is just naïve IMO. Honestly, you don't even have to pin it down to that group of people (though they are more likely IMO), out of 30 people in general you'd have a tough time finding only one person with racist views.

I think there is another racist owner because I think more than 3% of white people are racist. Simple data tells me there is a better chance that 1 of the other 29 are racist than they are all not racist.

Same reason I believe that there are likely at least 30-40 gay NBA players, even though we have only heard from 1.

To think so certainly he is the only racist owner of an NBA team is just naive, IMO.

Sterling certainly isn't the only one. However he was the one stupid enough to get caught up and multiple situations based on his racist belief.

I don't know how in this PC world we live in that the other 29 owners can afford to have Sterling remain an owner. This looks really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Sterling certainly isn't the only one. However he was the one stupid enough to get caught up and multiple situations based on his racist belief.

I don't know how in this PC world we live in that the other 29 owners can afford to have Sterling remain an owner. This looks really bad.
    I just can't see him being an owner for long after all this.

Thread Information