Pelicans Report

Thread: Mitch McGary entering draft to avoid 1 year ban from NCAA

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar

Mitch McGary entering draft to avoid 1 year ban from NCAA

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mitch-m...073833742.html

Read the story for full details but McGary failed a drug test (marijuana) and his penalty is a 1 year ban. He is now entering the NBA draft. I know he had issues injury wise this past season and barely played, but I remember a severely strong kid who knew how to use his body 2 years ago as a Freshman. I wonder if it might be worth buying a 2nd round pick for this kid, he should def. fall because of this incident + not really playing this year.

First time penalty for a failed marijuana test is a year? Yikes. I genuinely wonder how this doesn't happen all the time.

Good for him. As a Michigan fan I wont hate seeing him go. He added something to our team, and we wouldn't have gotten as far as we did 2 seasons ago without him, but we will be fine without him, like we were fine without him this year. Our program is on the up and up, and we have some really solid talent coming in.

Too bad for him though, 1) getting busted for failing a drug test. 2) Coming off of an injury that took him out most of the season. He should have come out last year when people were projecting him to be a lottery pick, now; he will be lucky to see the bottom half of the 1st round.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by greewe View Post
    First time penalty for a failed marijuana test is a year? Yikes. I genuinely wonder how this doesn't happen all the time.
    It's funny because the NCAA's stance is starkly contrasted by the NBA's. In the NBA if you test positive for marijuana, the penalties are treatment for first positive test, treatment + fine for second, and 5 game suspension for third.

I think I'd do the same if I was McGary, though.

1 year ban for smoking pot is a joke, c'mon man.

hopefully it'll just knock a guy we have our eyes on down a few picks to buy a pick for cheaper

NCAA= MAFIA

I would actually buy the pick to draft McGary. He would be a good option at the 5 giving us some nice size at the 5. He isn't a leaper, but the kid works at not being out muscled. He reminds me of a Brad Miller type...or maybe even old school Bill Lambier. We could use that down low.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I would actually buy the pick to draft McGary. He would be a good option at the 5 giving us some nice size at the 5. He isn't a leaper, but the kid works at not being out muscled. He reminds me of a Brad Miller type...or maybe even old school Bill Lambier. We could use that down low.
    Yep. I agree. He's actually a really solid player. I'd love to get him on the cheap in the 2nd rd.

Thread Information