Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Green 'Eminently Available' In Trade If Contending Team Views Him As Fit

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar

NBA Jeff Green 'Eminently Available' In Trade If Contending Team Views Him As Fit

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...ews-Him-As-Fit

Wasn't sure if I should even post this, but I remember some people wanting him a while back. So I figured it'd be worthwhile.

I think Rivers for Green could be fair. Ainge has coveted Austin in the past. Celtics get a young guy who loves to defend and shed nearly 7 million dollars plus arent on the hook for his PO the following year.

Here's the tough one, though. What if they come back and offer Green and Wallace for Eric Gordon? Wallace has the only contract I think is definitely worse than Gordon, but you get Green too. All three guys essentially have 2 years left on their deal. What do you do? As much as I want to move Gordon, that would be a hard one for me.
    @mcnamara247

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I wonder why just to a "contending team"

How can you trade a 9.2 salary for a 2.5? Who else would we have to throw in? Ely by himself isn't enough.

Wouldn't take back Wallace under any circumstance.

We would have cap room too. If you have a 2.5 mil player and 7 mil in cap room, you can trade it for a 9.2 mil player. And we would have that much room if cap goes up as reported

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    We would have cap room too. If you have a 2.5 mil player and 7 mil in cap room, you can trade it for a 9.2 mil player. And we would have that much room if cap goes up as reported
    I'm down. Didn't realize we are projected to have 7mil.

You wouldn't try to throw Ely in there?

I think Rivers for Green could be fair. Ainge has coveted Austin in the past. Celtics get a young guy who loves to defend and shed nearly 7 million dollars plus arent on the hook for his PO the following year.

Here's the tough one, though. What if they come back and offer Green and Wallace for Eric Gordon? Wallace has the only contract I think is definitely worse than Gordon, but you get Green too. All three guys essentially have 2 years left on their deal. What do you do? As much as I want to move Gordon, that would be a hard one for me.
    Let's say hypothetically we do this. Let's say we decline Rivers' team option for 15-16 and don't offer Withey the QO. Obviously we pick up AD's team option. Let's say we stretch the last year of Wallace's deal ($10 million) over 3 years. These are our contracts:

Player 2015/2016
    Tyreke Evans $10,734,586.00
    Jrue Holiday $11,095,507.00
    Ryan Anderson $8,500,000.00
    Anthony Davis $7,070,730.00
    Gerald Wallace $3,368,618.33
    Jeff Green $9,200,000.00
    Total $49,969,441.33
    Projected Cap (according to Larry Coon) $66,000,000.00
    Space $16,030,558.67

I think there would be 7 $500,000 minimum holds in there ($3.5 million) leaving around $12.5 million in cap space?

We could overpay a guy like Vucevic (say 4/$48) and have a rotation of:

Jrue/Min guy like Pierre or Roberts
    Tyreke/Min guy like Morrow
    Green/Min guy like Miller
    AD/Ryno
    Vucevic/Min guy like Withey or Anjica

Is this feasible?
    Last edited by greewe; 04-24-2014 at 10:38 AM.

Banned
    Salaries don't have to match?

I would just trade Ryan Anderson for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    I would just trade Ryan Anderson for him.

I would counter back with Rivers, Ajinca/Withey, & Gordon for Green, Wallace, & Sullinger. Otherwise I don't do it. It puts us almost in the exact position we are in except no chance of player opting out. Yeah the stretch would be about 1.7m less but don't know that it's worth it.

Sullinger makes it worth it to me because we save an extra 3m and he gives us the wide bodied big who is a great defensive rebounder and overall rebounds at a C's rate. Right at 17% over 2 years. We also have our front court rotation of the future with AD, Ryno, Sullinger, and Ajinca/Withey. While adding Green our SF and having our back court too. It would allow us to stretch Wallace and still add another piece but with no glaring holes.

Would Boston be willing to give up Sullinger for this trade? Not sure.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't mind this. You get Green, and Wallace is on a bad contract, but he's not horrible. Plus, you could trade him for something else couldn't you?

Edit: The reason I say this also, is that I really like our current team and would like to keep as many players as possible that we have now. I'd hate t have to throw in 3-4 players just to sweeten a deal.
    Last edited by JunkHead; 04-24-2014 at 11:12 AM.

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nba/small-forward/

From this list... I'd see how much it would cost to get one or 2 of these guys:

Trevor Ariza
    Luol Deng
    Wesley Johnson

For the record I like green I just think we'd have to give up too much, or like MM said they may try to dump Wallace's contract too. No thanks on that even if it means getting rid of EG.

** On second thought... getting Green and Wallace would give us a starter and backup 3 even if Wallace's contract sux. I'd probably do that if it were an option.

Quote Originally Posted by JunkHead View Post
    I wouldn't mind this. You get Green, and Wallace is on a bad contract, but he's not horrible. Plus, you could trade him for something else couldn't you?

Edit: The reason I say this also, is that I really like our current team and would like to keep as many players as possible that we have now. I'd hate t have to throw in 3-4 players just to sweeten a deal.
    What part of 5 points 4 rebounds and 2 assists per game for 10 million a year isn't horrible?

He's not nearly the same defensive player he used to be either.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    What part of 5 points 4 rebounds and 2 assists per game for 10 million a year isn't horrible?

He's not nearly the same defensive player he used to be either.
    good god. I thought he wa a bit better than that. ok nm. still though... chances you could trade him for something else? or a 2nd round pick?

Quote Originally Posted by saintsinNO View Post
    Salaries don't have to match?
    Not when the team receiving the larger salary is under the cap. The NBA salary cap is ****ing weird and obtuse and I hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    Not when the team receiving the larger salary is under the cap. The NBA salary cap is ****ing weird and obtuse and I hate it.
    I think it is easy, but the problem is that there are more trades that happen, so that makes it hard to understand all those rules.

The NFL CBA is the weird one to me, and that one is set up in a way that makes trades so rare. The bonus accelerates and then it counts this much for this year but not next and blah blah. You can cut a person on March 28th, but designate it for July 1st. I like the NBA CBA better

We're desperate for a good SF, so anything looks appetizing right now, but I don't think Green fits the bill... Way too inconsistent, and he is overpaid. Plus, I think he is better as a stretch PF than a true SF. He has games where he'll go off, but they are far and few between.

Not a bad option, but not sure I'd want that contract, he didn't have as good a year as most people thought he would

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    We're desperate for a good SF, so anything looks appetizing right now, but I don't think Green fits the bill... Way too inconsistent, and he is overpaid. Plus, I think he is better as a stretch PF than a true SF. He has games where he'll go off, but they are far and few between.
    I agree with the stretch PF thing. But the inconsistent thing would be a non issue to me since he will be a 4th or 5th option. I think he would thrive in a lesser role. But he does have problems defending quick SF's

I think it is easy, but the problem is that there are more trades that happen, so that makes it hard to understand all those rules.

The NFL CBA is the weird one to me, and that one is set up in a way that makes trades so rare. The bonus accelerates and then it counts this much for this year but not next and blah blah. You can cut a person on March 28th, but designate it for July 1st. I like the NBA CBA better
    The exceptions (which ones you get, when you can use them, how you can use them), fluctuating values and meaning of "max contract" (dependent on years in league, previous salary earned, and designation), and differences between first round picks, second round picks, and UDFA (initial years, guarantee, different restrictions on second contracts) can mess me up.

Then there are things like waiving players (straight-up vs. using stretch clause), poison-pill contracts (affect the contract and cap hit of the player differently depending on whether original team matches contract), and uses of money in trades (able to trade players for cash, but can only spend so much cash a season). And a lot of these rules change depending on if the team (or it's trade partner(s)) is above/below the salary cap or luxury tax threshold.

I'm sure I'm forgetting plenty more obscure things, but those are all that I can remember that have been used in the last handful of years. The NFL is definitely weird with the way you can restructure contracts, but I pay far less attention to that.
    Last edited by Kibner; 04-24-2014 at 02:15 PM.

I think you hit the nail on the head - we pay far less attention to NFL stuff and just trust that a GM will find cap room because there are so many loopholes and ways around to delay stuff. But if you had to actually follow it, it would blow your mind. And the true info is harder to come across. Again, we dont have to follow it because there are barely any trades

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    He is inconsistent with his scoring but as MM said he'll be 4th or 5th option on this team at best some days. He has the personality that'll fit perfectly on this team and he also can play 2 positions, he's sort of stretch pf but then again look at this roster and notice the multitude of players with various skillsets that fit into more than one postion. Sounds about right too me, also I know this sounds like old rhetoric but he has talent and fire that maybe....Monty can bring out lol one thing we may take for granted is that Monty may have had a part in AD's expedited growth...

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

I think you hit the nail on the head - we pay far less attention to NFL stuff and just trust that a GM will find cap room because there are so many loopholes and ways around to delay stuff. But if you had to actually follow it, it would blow your mind. And the true info is harder to come across. Again, we dont have to follow it because there are barely any trades
    That's probably right. When it comes to the NFL, I subscribe to the mantra of "only guaranteed money counts". Anything more in-depth than that is beyond me. I spent more than enough time learning the NBA CBA, that I have no interest in doing the same with the NFL. lol

e: As far as Jeff Green goes, I would be indifferent if the Pels picked him up. As long as they don't trade any of our core players for him, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    That's probably right. When it comes to the NFL, I subscribe to the mantra of "only guaranteed money counts". Anything more in-depth than that is beyond me. I spent more than enough time learning the NBA CBA, that I have no interest in doing the same with the NFL. lol

e: As far as Jeff Green goes, I would be indifferent if the Pels picked him up. As long as they don't trade any of our core players for him, that is.
    Do you consider Ryno a core player?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information