Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mike Dunleavy

Mike Dunleavy

If the Bulls intend to outright sign Carmelo this offseason, they will almost certainly try to trade Dunleavy's $3 million contract, likely seeking no money in return.

Dunleavy would be an expiring, could start at SF, and shoots 37.3% from 3 over his career. He seems to play decent defense (107 DRtg over career, gave up 10.8 PER to opposing small forwards this season according to 82games.com). I think we could trade Melvin Ely and Babbitt for Dunleavy (someone correct me if this math is wrong):

$1,448,490 (Ely) + $981,084 (Babbitt) = $2,429,574 (total outgoing salary)

$2,429,574 (total outgoing salary) * 150% + $100,000 = $3,744,361 (salary we can take back)

Dunleavy will make $3,326,235 next season.

For those interested in waiting until 2015 to make a big move, if Dunleavy were available for "free" as a one year rental, do you prefer him to other FAs on the market in 2014?

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    You do realize that DRtg is something you generally want to be a smaller figure... 107pts on 100 possessions... Meh. Then again, that's also highly impacted by the team he plays for too

Exactly the kind of guy I would target. Stop gap for next year who comes off books for 2015
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    You do realize that DRtg is something you generally want to be a smaller figure... 107pts on 100 possessions... Meh. Then again, that's also highly impacted by the team he plays for too
    1. I'm aware that you want a low DRtg, thanks. League average DRtg is 106.7. Pelicans average DRtg this season was 110.1. Yes, 107 is "decent."

2. He has a 107 DRtg over his 12-year career. Not just this season with the Bulls.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greewe View Post
    1. I'm aware that you want a low DRtg, thanks. League average DRtg is 106.7. Pelicans average DRtg this season was 110.1. Yes, 107 is "decent."

2. He has a 107 DRtg over his 12-year career. Not just this season with the Bulls.
    Nice. So pretty much NBA average on defense but can shoot the ball/spread the floor. His career 3pt% is a little weighted down by some earlier years also, the past 4 seasons he has averaged 40.2% from 3.

I think we might have found our Huckleberry. He wont have any rust to knock off, and having an expiring deal, this would most certainly be a "prove it" season for Dunlevey.

I like it if Del likes it.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I loved the Dunleavy signing for the Bulls this last year and if there were better driving offense (Rose) Dunleavy would have shown even more. He has a crazy quick release and can straight up shoot. We're gonna need to sign 2-3 SFs this offseason. Dunleavy would make a nice addition no matter who the other(s) are.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

I wish DRtg was never used as an individual player stat. It is too team dependent to take out of the team context. I mean, it has Carlos Boozer as one of the best defensive bigs in the league (better than Noah, at least in previous years) and he most definitely isn't.

e: I'd definitely like Dunleavy over Babbitt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    I loved the Dunleavy signing for the Bulls this last year and if there were better driving offense (Rose) Dunleavy would have shown even more. He has a crazy quick release and can straight up shoot. We're gonna need to sign 2-3 SFs this offseason. Dunleavy would make a nice addition no matter who the other(s) are.
    This is how I feel. As long as we bring in a PJ Tucker or Ariza or Hamilton type player I'm fine with Dunleavy as another SF. Helps us have a deeper roster and protects us against injury.

If the idea is to just sign Dunleavy then No. This falls back into the same trap as putting all eggs into 2015 which I think is a bad idea.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I think Dunleavy would be an ideal fit for the pelicans at the 3 spot. That is if he is available.

Don't we have the room to trade just Ely with no other filler?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigeauz View Post
    Don't we have the room to trade just Ely with no other filler?
    We can trade nothing. Actually trading Ely for Dunleavy wouldnt make sense. Ely is an asset for a trade if we have to stay within 150% because of the salary cap. Wouldn't be necessary in this case.

Could trade Pierre for Dunleavy. Maybe they want the next Nate Robinson after losing the original.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    We can trade nothing. Actually trading Ely for Dunleavy wouldnt make sense. Ely is an asset for a trade if we have to stay within 150% because of the salary cap. Wouldn't be necessary in this case.

Could trade Pierre for Dunleavy. Maybe they want the next Nate Robinson after losing the original.
    Yep. I should've made that clearer in the OP. We can absorb Dunleavy no matter what--whether we use cap room or not. Just absorbing him into cap space would of course be simpler, but the Ely deal means it could happen either way.

If I had to guess I'd figure something like this is more realistic. If any team with cap can just absorb Dunleavy then we might have to give up a small asset to get him over another team. If they want Pierre for him I don't even think about it, I fax the paperwork over immediately.

Boy, if we could turn Noel and whatever this pick is into Jrue and Dunleavy, that's such a good deal.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    I was focusing on the other game, but he seems to be having quite a night....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Yea why not, can shoot the lights out. Kinda like Morrow but taller

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    Yea why not, can shoot the lights out. Kinda like Morrow but taller
    Better passer off the dribble too.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Why has he had such a mediocre career (well mediocre by the standards of being a journeyman)? He seems like a modern day Chuck Person. Just a hired gun.

He does seem like an ideal fit both salary and team need wise. I just think he may have made himself too popular with that recent game. A team may be willing to trade a protected 2015 1st for him.

He had a really rough game today though. I tend to shy away from shooters who come up big in the bright lights. Shooters are usually streaky. Buy low on a shooter who underperforms for a deal. Worst case scenario you get positive value that you can move for something else at the trade deadline.

I was hoping for a guy like Ariza but after this series he has done really well. At first I was disappointed that it meant we wouldn't get him. Now He's played so well that I'm more excited that it means maybe we can get a deal on Webster. If our solutions this summer are Dunleavy/Dudley/Okafor on one or two year small deals then I'm a happy fan.

Forget Dunleavy. My guess is that Jared Dudley is the guy that Dell targets.

Shoots, defends, is a great leader, can be had for peanuts, and only has 1 yr left at a good price too. If I had to guess right now, today - I guess Dudley is our SF on opening day. I dont know what the exact deal would be - Aminu S&T makes some sense, Babbitt, Ely, and Pierre could work, just trading him into cap space and Clips get exception; all could work.

That is the guy to keep an eye on IMO.

I should acknowledge I got the Dudley idea from MM and Phelps on twitter. Not trying to claim it was my idea but I like it. Dude is a Monty guy for sure. He always asserts himself in the game and plays beyond his skill level and from what I remember in Phoenix he played good team defense. I still feel like ideally we get more of a shooter than him but you can do a lot worse for sure.

Oh, and MM I love your analysis on BSS, twitter, and here. I see many others on the aforementioned sites and on The Bird Writes that are super knowledgeable. There are many here who are fans of the NBA in general and not just the Pels. Would you consider doing short playoff podcasts with some of the people from those sites? I know Shwan is in his Pels-centric universe so he couldn't add as much in the playoffs but I know that there are plenty who are watching the playoffs and are super interested and yours and others' analysis on the podcast I think would be very welcomed by us fans.
    Last edited by Jabberwalker; 04-27-2014 at 05:19 PM.

Yeah I like it. I always hated Dudley as an opposing player, but he too fits nicely on this squad.

Would be great if you could do that deal, then get Koufos in trade for Pierre and Ajinca. Resign Morrow using exception. Resign Smith for 1 yr. Take a flyer on a guy like Brandon Rush for good measure.

Jrue/Rivers
    Tyreke/Gordon
    Dudley/Morrow/Rush
    AD/Ryno/Smith
    Koufos/Withey

Fill out roster with some more developmental guys and/or Euro guys. Try to move Gordon all year. If you can't, hope he opts out or gets stretched. Head into loaded 2015 FA class with over 20 mil in cap room, all while being very competitive this year and holding on to future draft picks.

I wanted us to trade for dudley when he was on PHX, what happened to him this year though?

Would be great if you could do that deal, then get Koufos in trade for Pierre and Ajinca. Resign Morrow using exception. Resign Smith for 1 yr. Take a flyer on a guy like Brandon Rush for good measure.

Jrue/Rivers
    Tyreke/Gordon
    Dudley/Morrow/Rush
    AD/Ryno/Smith
    Koufos/Withey

Fill out roster with some more developmental guys and/or Euro guys. Try to move Gordon all year. If you can't, hope he opts out or gets stretched. Head into loaded 2015 FA class with over 20 mil in cap room, all while being very competitive this year and holding on to future draft picks.
    Do we have 20 mil even if Gordon opts in?

Thread Information