Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mike Dunleavy

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    I have to confess that I would definitely prefer Dudley to Dunleavy.... and then see what happens for the following year....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    I wanted us to trade for dudley when he was on PHX, what happened to him this year though?

Do we have 20 mil even if Gordon opts in?
    No. Everything that summer is dependent on him being gone, which we can make happen one way or the other.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    No. Everything that summer is dependent on him being gone, which we can make happen one way or the other.
    Did you know that according to basketball experts he should be shooting more?
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I hate to say it but Mike Dunleavey might be playing his way right out of our price range.

For the playoffs he's averaging 15pp shooting 51% from the field and 52% from 3. Individual play in the playoffs usually affects FA salary more than regular season play, even know it's usually a small sample size.

There is no "price range"

He has a salary of 3 mil next season. It would be a trade not a FA signing.

There is no "price range"

He has a salary of 3 mil next season. It would be a trade not a FA signing.
    For some reason watching the last game I'm thinking he is a FA, don't know who I got confused with.

Maybe Ariza - he is a FA.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    That guy Troy Daniels is a 3 point beast

Maybe Ariza - he is a FA.
    That's it. Another SF I'd take a run at, of curse if the money's right.

Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    That guy Troy Daniels is a 3 point beast
    Crazy to think this dude was just in the dleague.

Well, if you wanna talk about somebody playing outside of our price range, it is Ariza. A guy whose two best seasons just happen to be his two contract years.

If we can hypnotize Ariza to permanently believe he is in a contract year, I am all for signing him for 6-8 mil per year. If the league considers that "unethical", I will pass.

Well, if you wanna talk about somebody playing outside of our price range, it is Ariza. A guy whose two best seasons just happen to be his two contract years.

If we can hypnotize Ariza to permanently believe he is in a contract year, I am all for signing him for 6-8 mil per year. If the league considers that "unethical", I will pass.
    You've been beating this drum for awhile now but the numbers simply don't show this.

His last contract year was the 08-09 season. That year his FG % was 46% compared to a career 43.4%. His 3pt was 31.9% compared to career 34.7%. FT% of 71% compared to career 69.6%. He only played 24mpg that year but if you equalize his stats with per36 he averaged 13.1ppg compared to career 13ppg. 6.3TRB compared to career 6.2TRB. 2.6AST compared to career 2.7AST. 2.5STL compared to career 1.7STL.

He has posted a higher PER 4 seasons. A higher TS% 3 seasons. A higher eFG% 3 seasons. A higher FTr 4 seasons. A higher 3PTr 4 seasons. A higher TRB% 5 seasons. A higher AST% 5 seasons.

Saying his two best seasons were contract years and trying to imply he plays his best in those years is categorically wrong. This past year he has played great, but you are stretching quite a bit trying to establish a pattern that just isn't there.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    I will be the first to admit that this doesn't always translate to actions on the court, but Jared Dudley is obviously a really bright guy and shares his thoughts very, very well....

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    You've been beating this drum for awhile now but the numbers simply don't show this.

His last contract year was the 08-09 season. That year his FG % was 46% compared to a career 43.4%. His 3pt was 31.9% compared to career 34.7%. FT% of 71% compared to career 69.6%. He only played 24mpg that year but if you equalize his stats with per36 he averaged 13.1ppg compared to career 13ppg. 6.3TRB compared to career 6.2TRB. 2.6AST compared to career 2.7AST. 2.5STL compared to career 1.7STL.

He has posted a higher PER 4 seasons. A higher TS% 3 seasons. A higher eFG% 3 seasons. A higher FTr 4 seasons. A higher 3PTr 4 seasons. A higher TRB% 5 seasons. A higher AST% 5 seasons.

Saying his two best seasons were contract years and trying to imply he plays his best in those years is categorically wrong. This past year he has played great, but you are stretching quite a bit trying to establish a pattern that just isn't there.
    Should have been clearer - two seasons since he became a real rotation guy for full seasons. Played 57 games one year and 35 another year in which he played a TOTAL of less than 1800 minutes.

Since that 1st full year with LA on, he has had his best years and moments in contract years. Highest PER's and best shooting playoff performances. In his two contract years, he shoots 48% from three in the playoffs, and shoots 25% and 33% the other two years. Thats quite a coincidence.

Last year, with basically the same team in Washington, he was pretty bad. Now, all of a sudden, his numbers shoot up? Weird. After getting his contract with the Rockets, he goes on to have his worst year as a pro from the field.

Look, maybe it is a coincidence and maybe he has finally figured it out. But somebody is going to pay him off of this season, and I find it way more likely that he regresses to the mean than he keeps this up, or anything close to it, for the next 3-4 years.

You go ahead and buy high. I will be waiting for the next team that overpays him to sell low.

Should have been clearer - two seasons since he became a real rotation guy for full seasons. Played 57 games one year and 35 another year in which he played a TOTAL of less than 1800 minutes.

Since that 1st full year with LA on, he has had his best years and moments in contract years. Highest PER's and best shooting playoff performances. In his two contract years, he shoots 48% from three in the playoffs, and shoots 25% and 33% the other two years. Thats quite a coincidence.

Last year, with basically the same team in Washington, he was pretty bad. Now, all of a sudden, his numbers shoot up? Weird. After getting his contract with the Rockets, he goes on to have his worst year as a pro from the field.

Look, maybe it is a coincidence and maybe he has finally figured it out. But somebody is going to pay him off of this season, and I find it way more likely that he regresses to the mean than he keeps this up, or anything close to it, for the next 3-4 years.

You go ahead and buy high. I will be waiting for the next team that overpays him to sell low.
    So wait. You are basing your entire belief that he only plays well in contract years off of how he performed in the playoffs? I've already posted the numbers. Anyone can try and pick and choose to tell a story. Like how you try and discredit two of his seasons that I used because he didn't play a ton but you still hold the last two seasons against him when he was battling injury and played less than 1500 in either. Dude's last contract year was not one of his two best. Period. He had a nice playoff run yes, but he was right in line with career numbers and things like his 3pt shooting was BELOW career average.

Compare that to this year when he's been doing it all year long. Could it not just be he's hit his prime and is healthy? I fully expect his numbers to regress some too but that's mainly because of how insanely hot from 3pt he's been this year. I don't think his rebounding or assist numbers are going to. They're right in line. Just like his last contract year.

Nor did I say that I'd throw a max at him or anything else. I would offer him 6-7m/yr however. Even if he regressed to career averages he's still a guy who gives you 13/6/3 on 35% from 3pt and does not have a super high usage.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

All I care about his is recent play, not what he did 9 years ago. Let's take his most recent play for example the last 4 seasons he has averaged:

11.5pts 5.5reb 2.5asst 1.5stl shooting fg's at 42% and 3's at 35% - not mentioning his defense - If I would have included 5 seasons these numbers would be a little better because of his year with Houston but some people want to discount that year for some reason.

At 28, or 29 by next season and still in his prime, he is a guy I would want on this team. I think it will be different than his 1st time around because we are in a totally different situation now. A few years ago he was probably our #2 ball handler behind CP3, I think that is where many of the problems laid we asked him to do more than he could. With Jrue, Evans, Rivers, hopefully not but probably Gordon, Ariza would never have to touch the ball unless it was to score or to pass.

It's not that Ariza was bad when he was with us, he really wasn't, it's that many felt he wasn't worth the 7mil salary at his play rate. I think he's clearly improved his overall shooting and his 3pt shooting. I'd be willing to give him the same salary he had with us before, something like 3 years 21 million. I think Ariza could average closer to what he was this year 12-15ppg while doing it efficiently and providing us with other aspects of his game that were missing a few years ago (stretching the floor). I'm just thinking of certain situations where we could see a rotation of Jrue - Morrow - Ariza - Anderson - Davis and I'm drooling.

Look, to each their own. If 13/6/3 per 36 mins on 43% shooting and 35% from 3 (his career averages) are what I am going to get over the next 3-4 years, I would personally pass when it looks like he will get 6-8 mil per year. Again, I think his price tag will be set based off this season, and I don't think I will ever get this season for him again. If I can get him for the 3-5 mil he looked like he was gonna get rolling last season, I would do that, but I just don't like buying high on a guy who will be 29 next year, has 18,000+ minutes on the odometer, and is regressing defensively.

I would rather look for value or a guy who I think will age better and provide something different to this team. I want more leadership and toughness if I am going to go with an older vet. But those are just my preferences; everyone is entitle to their own. Yes, I believe Ariza will regress, but of course I can not prove it. We will just have to see moving forward. I just hope it isn't here.

Thread Information