Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Eric Gordon as the 6th man, can it work?

Eric Gordon as the 6th man, can it work?

If he can't be traded can he be the 6th man. He'll be able to handle the ball more like he did LA and run plays for him. It would also allow him to play less minutes to become more durable during the season.

I honestly don't care if it works. We've all witnessed how much better 'reke is as a starter which means gordon will have to go to the bench and run with the second unit. Will it work? No idea, i think he'll just pout some more and play his usual pedestrian game. With luck we won't have to ask ourselves that question...but man do we need a lot of luck to avoid it entirely

honestly, I'd just rather bench him and play rivers and morrow in front of him off the bench
    never assume

I think Eric could actually do better in the role than Tyreke simply because he doesn't need as much spacing/shooters around him to be effective. He actually seemed to have some of his best games when we would be short handed & the more focus on him. His ability to score from anywhere makes him a better sixth man than Tyreke. just hard to justify paying a sixth man a max contract...

Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    I think Eric could actually do better in the role than Tyreke simply because he doesn't need as much spacing/shooters around him to be effective. He actually seemed to have some of his best games when we would be short handed & the more focus on him. His ability to score from anywhere makes him a better sixth man than Tyreke. just hard to justify paying a sixth man a max contract...
    We can't get rig of him and Tyreke is better than him and makes us better. I think shorter mins for him and playing the P n R game he did in LA will help his game and allow him to play a full season and into the playoffs.

Hopefully he's the 13th man soon enough aka off this dam team.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    We'll try. If he buys in. It could work, I suppose. But at the end of the day, it isn't Eric Gordon that matters. It's his contract. And unless we can offload it, it's gonna be a heavy burden.

Luckily, with Indiana imploding without any direction and Chicago in need of a source of offense. We might be able to find a trading partner this offseason.

Might.
    Last edited by Eman5805; 04-21-2014 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    We'll try. If he buys in. It could work, I suppose. But at the end of the day, it isn't Eric Gordon that matters. It's his contract. And unless we can offload it, it's gonna be a heavy burden.

Luckily, with Indiana imploding without any direction and Chicago in need of a source of offense. We might be able to find a trading partner this offseason.

Might.
    Saw a real gm topic asking where does Roy Hibbert's max contracts rank for worst contracts, and of course Eric Gordon's name came up. Some things would have to happen, but if somehow the Pacers decide to go a different direction (aka not re-signing Lance Stephenson?)...could a Hibbert for Gordon swap be plausible? Possibly.

But if Gordon does stay with the Pels, I think he would most definitely be best in a 6th man Ginobili/Jamal Crawford role. The role Monty envisioned Tyreke playing at the beginning of this season. But yea, wonder where that would leave Morrow's role if they re-sign him. Could play him at the three more, I guess.

Evans/ Gordon/ Morrow
    Holiday/ Rivers

We should do it whether it works or not. Gordon play hasn't demanded that he starts.

If anything you either lite a fire under Gordon or hurt his feeling and increase the chances he opts out after next year.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    We should do it whether it works or not. Gordon play hasn't demanded that he starts.

If anything you either lite a fire under Gordon or hurt his feeling and increase the chances he opts out after next year.
    Absolutely.

15M for sixth man

hell no....

Quote Originally Posted by eliczone View Post
    15M for sixth man

hell no....
    It doesn't matter what he makes. If the team is better with him coming off the bench rather than starting, then that's what needs to be done.

If you thought he was moping around with a smelly attitude before... tell him he's gonna be a 6th man, then watch him. Starting both Reke and EG is a possibility, but you don't want Reke trying to guard starting 3s like Durant, LBJ, Melo, and a few more.

Monty has decisions to make, because Dell won't be able to deal EG this summer. Decisions decisions.

15M for sixth man

hell no....
    What he makes means nada. What is best for the team is what needs to be done.

ok question, if we try to start tyreke gordon and jrue, could jrue ever play the 3 or guard against 3's? Say players like ariza or iggy or smaller perimeter 3's who aren't really a first or second option. Tyreke is definitely a better on ball defender than off and his a nice mismatch for us on both ends against most pgs and jrue is a great perimeter defender. I just like the idea of tyreke at the point, and I don't think tyreke is a great choice for sf, much rather him at pg or sg.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Tyreke remains the "6th" man. He just comes in earlier and closes. Eric can't ever be in the position where he is the primary ball handler. In order to piece meal an effective player out of him you have to increase his spot ups and decrease his isos. Ideally, you turn him into a spot up shooter who can negotiate weaker defenders off bounce. Lower the amount the plays he has to be "the decider" with the basketball and you can turn him into an above player during this stop gap year.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jgman View Post
    ok question, if we try to start tyreke gordon and jrue, could jrue ever play the 3 or guard against 3's? Say players like ariza or iggy or smaller perimeter 3's who aren't really a first or second option. Tyreke is definitely a better on ball defender than off and his a nice mismatch for us on both ends against most pgs and jrue is a great perimeter defender. I just like the idea of tyreke at the point, and I don't think tyreke is a great choice for sf, much rather him at pg or sg.
    No. Tyreke is the only one with the size to possibly guard some 3s but Monty has made it clear his position is a guard which is for the best because he is such a matchup problem. Jrue needs to guard the 1 or 2.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

A Rivers-Gordon-Morrow perimeter trio would actually complement each other real well. Two ball handlers and our three best spot up shooters from last year.

Purely from a basketball perspective, I think it could work and work well. I just have no faith in Gordon putting himself above the team, but we won't know until we try it. As I have said since December - Jrue and Tyreke are the Pels backcourt of the future. Should be the backcourt of the present. Get those two on the court together as much as possible, whether you move Gordon tomorrow or can't move him for another year. His needs and wants shouldn't even factor in since he is not a piece of this team in the future when we are contending.
    @mcnamara247

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post

Excellent scenario.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    15M for sixth man

hell no....
    Another one of these?

Quote Originally Posted by jgman View Post
    Ariza is a slim dude but he's like 6'8. Iggy is small for a 3 but he's a great defender, and he's strong. Jrue is too small to play the 3 (he's smaller than Tyreke). The best-case scenario is we get rid of Gordon, but since that probably won't happen, then Monty will have to figure out a way to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    A Rivers-Gordon-Morrow perimeter trio would actually complement each other real well. Two ball handlers and our three best spot up shooters from last year.

Purely from a basketball perspective, I think it could work and work well. I just have no faith in Gordon putting himself above the team, but we won't know until we try it. As I have said since December - Jrue and Tyreke are the Pels backcourt of the future. Should be the backcourt of the present. Get those two on the court together as much as possible, whether you move Gordon tomorrow or can't move him for another year. His needs and wants shouldn't even factor in since he is not a piece of this team in the future when we are contending.
    You always make these matter of fact statements about the team's plans. Where is this info coming from? I have never heard any of these rumblings from any source but you/PelicansReport and I know somebody that's close to the team (a staff member that travels with the team) that has never mentioned anything like that. I guess I just want to know if this is your gut feeling or do you have concrete evidence. I always hear about Gordon's bad attitude and him not being a team player but I only hear that on this site. Is this all based on "My heart is in Phoenix" or concrete evidence? This is not a jab at you but I'm genuinely curious about where this all stems from.

To stay on topic, I don't think Gordon is stopping Reke from excelling. As per last season, Reke didn't excel until he had total control of the ball. I'm more concerned about how he and Jrue will play together. I assume Jrue will be off ball because Reke can't shoot the ball in the ocean.
    Last edited by UptownFuz504; 04-22-2014 at 09:08 AM.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

As I have said in the past, I will not discuss the Gordon behind the scenes stuff until he is gone. Once he is, I will share.

Two Words (Amnesty clause!!!!)

For the 747th time on this board, Eric Gordon is not eligible for the amnesty clause.

Thread Information