Pelicans Report

Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Playoffs - Geaux CP3

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    I'm so sorry that I asked for clarification. I guess I'll start quoting your response every time I see 'Montyball' used in reference to his poor rotations, not calling time outs, affinity for 90's ball, and pulling hot shooters. I mean I've seen multiple people use it for those things but I guess they were wrong and in the future I'll know that 'Montyball' refers to when a team blows a lead in the third quarter.

Or we could stop lying to ourselves and recognize that people want to change the vernacular to create cheap shots for a person they see as the cause of such a poor season. Either way.
    Did I say that Montyball specifically refers to blowing away leads? No, no I do not think I did.

I get that Monty's your boy, but your boy could improve on a lot of things and the things he could improve on are a part of the all encapsulating term known as Montyball.

And what's all that about cheap shots? Lol. C'mon dude. Stop. You're just trying to argue.
    Last edited by Sovereign; 04-25-2014 at 07:44 AM.

I may not be a smart man (but at least I know what love is), but I find it mind boggling how the Grizz can put Tony Allen on Westbrook or Durant, and he can defend both of them equally. Allen is 6'4 and those two are 6'3 and 6'10 respectively. How does he do it? Does solid defense transcend size?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I may not be a smart man (but at least I know what love is), but I find it mind boggling how the Grizz can put Tony Allen on Westbrook or Durant, and he can defend both of them equally. Allen is 6'4 and those two are 6'3 and 6'10 respectively. How does he do it? Does solid defense transcend size?
    Yes and he's very physical as well. He's all up in Durants grill every time he gets the ball. Love me some tony Allen defense. Always have.

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    Did I say that Montyball specifically refers to blowing away leads? No, no I do not think I did.

I get that Monty's your boy, but your boy could improve on a lot of things and the things he could improve on are a part of the all encapsulating term known as Montyball.

And what's all that about cheap shots? Lol. C'mon dude. Stop. You're just trying to argue.
    So Montyball now refers to poor coaching in general so long as it is in a facet that is similar to one of the many areas that Monty struggles with. All poor coaching is now referred to as Montyball so long as it's something that a Pelicans fan has complained about. Sheesh, now who's taking the cheap shots? That's all that the term Montyball is then is one cheapshot scapegoat umbrella term to petulantly attempt to debase Monty's skill.
    Maybe we need to improve the discourse.
    I'm not a Monty supporter at all either. I think his style of play doesn't fit what's best for the team.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    So Montyball now refers to poor coaching in general so long as it is in a facet that is similar to one of the many areas that Monty struggles with. All poor coaching is now referred to as Montyball so long as it's something that a Pelicans fan has complained about. Sheesh, now who's taking the cheap shots? That's all that the term Montyball is then is one cheapshot scapegoat umbrella term to petulantly attempt to debase Monty's skill.
    Maybe we need to improve the discourse.
    I'm not a Monty supporter at all either. I think his style of play doesn't fit what's best for the team.
    It was a throwaway comment made in light of the Grizzlies blowing a 17 pt lead in the 4th quarter. I've never seen anyone take something so miniscule so seriously especially when no one else cared and at least one other even understood what was meant.
    Last edited by Sovereign; 04-25-2014 at 11:02 AM.

It was a throwaway comment made in light of the Grizzlies blowing a 17 pt lead in the 4th quarter. I've never seen anyone take something so miniscule so seriously especially when no one else cared and at least one other even understood what was meant.
    I saw it as a lighthearted quip and nothing more. I'm apathetic about Monty until he can consistently make good coaching decisions. We should have a full squad next year so there is his chance to prove me wrong.

Montyball

http://www.sportal.co.nz/nba/clipper...21ar8zj2smxrn1

What a disgrace, the NBA's own website article. Doesn't even mention that Chris Paul blatantly fouled Curry... Twice

1) Hand on the hip
    2) Must leave the space for the shooter to come down... ie. the Bruce Bowen rule.

It does mention Griffins charge, but again with a massive Clippers spin

That's all good and fine but on the boards here we see so much visceral blind blaming. When we get to the point where we often start reforming language as nebulous terms just to reinforce an ideology then it snowballs. I think most people on here don't know what to do with those comments which exacerbates the situation. I think most people read someone calling a team falling apart Montyball and people read it and view it as a perpetuation of the common discourse that they themselves propagate.
    But I will totally own up to being overly pedantic on here. I just want to challenge people into improving their critical thinking. I know its just basketball and it should be fun but I want people to work harder than "our team sucks and I don't like our coach. That team sucks so I'll chalk it up to the same forgone conclusion." Not saying that's what you said, but I think that's most people take away of it. Either that or I just take things too seriously which may also be the case.

Is Montyball like Moneyball...and equally effective?

Even though they are struggling, pulling for D. West to get a title

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Beal is going to be a problem for defenses for years to come. Very smart for such a young player.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Why couldn't this Ariza have been playing fur us back in the D?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Why couldn't this Ariza have been playing fur us back in the D?
    He wasn't in a contract year with us

I'm really impressed with Washington's young backcourt. Wall and Beal are no joke. I hope they beat Chicago in 5.

Howard is great, but Houston probably would have been better served using that money elsewhere. They should have moved Asik before they took him on, and now they are stuck with an unhappy player that is capable of much better than the effort he has put forth this season.

All the talk about Tucker being the perfect fit is depressing bc we probably aren't getting him.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Gorgeous play by Portland.

If only we had a center like Lopez, we could have dedicated the entire off season trying to find a SF instead of another big.

Still disgust me to this day that we got rid of Robin lopez

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Howard is good, but Houston probably would have been better served using that money elsewhere. They should have moved Asik before they took him on, and now they are stuck with an unhappy player that is capable of much better than the effort he has put forth this season.
    Fify

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    If only we had a center like Lopez, we could have dedicated the entire off season trying to find a SF instead of another big.
    Tell me about it.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaPride View Post
    Still disgust me to this day that we got rid of Robin lopez
    We wouldn't have Tyreke, but honestly I might rather have Rolo and the cap space

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    We wouldn't have Tyreke, but honestly I might rather have Rolo and the cap space
    Yea, It just feels like there would of been some other move we could of made to get Reke and keep Rolo. But I suppose if that were the case it would of been done.

Which type of talent is easier to acquire: a Lopez or an Evans? Dell figured Evans and he made the deal. I think he made the right call. Just doesn't seem that way given the lack of quality big men we had vs. the surplus of ball handlers at our disposal.

Thread Information