Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Playoffs - Geaux CP3

I would have loved it if Wesley could've joined Joel for this playoff broadcasts... though obviously that wasn't going to happen

Pacers have a bad 4th and will be down 2-1 to the Hawks w/ the 8th-seeded ATL still possessing HCA... so as the Pacers fall off (and Vogel's job may very well be in jeopardy)... will anyone challenge the Heat in the East... and who could come out of the West to stop them? Spurs lost HCA to the Mavs... OKC may not get past MEM

just the 1st round and all heck has broken out
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

Quote Originally Posted by rt0307 View Post
    I would have loved it if Wesley could've joined Joel for this playoff broadcasts... though obviously that wasn't going to happen

Pacers have a bad 4th and will be down 2-1 to the Hawks w/ the 8th-seeded ATL still possessing HCA... so as the Pacers fall off (and Vogel's job may very well be in jeopardy)... will anyone challenge the Heat in the East... and who could come out of the West to stop them? Spurs lost HCA to the Mavs... OKC may not get past MEM

just the 1st round and all heck has broken out
    Of all the teams getting pooped on, the Heat aren't among them. This upsets me; the two teams who we're going to challenge them may well be done. Who challenges them now?

Tony Allen is the man

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    Tony Allen is the man
    Word. He is making Durant look a puss.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Of all the teams getting pooped on, the Heat aren't among them. This upsets me; the two teams who we're going to challenge them may well be done. Who challenges them now?
    I hate the Heat... but they're the only 1 taking care of business

if the Thunder can survive Memphis... maybe they can

I guess I can still trust San Antonio... in state rivalry can make that closer than it should be... if they get past DAL then they could have a much easier path to the Finals than originally anticipated

Memphis' best Kevin Durant stopper:

I think people underestimated Dallas. They are very similar to San Antonio- HOF coach with plenty of battle tested veterans and a couple of players in their prime. That series was a toss up to begin with; I am very surprised with OKC's struggles though. Memphis were probably the most unimpressive squad in the regular season, but they definitely tightened up for this series.

I think people underestimated Dallas. They are very similar to San Antonio- HOF coach with plenty of battle tested veterans and a couple of players in their prime. That series was a toss up to begin with; I am very surprised with OKC's struggles though. Memphis were probably the most unimpressive squad in the regular season, but they definitely tightened up for this series.
    familiarity w/ OKC in the playoffs possibly... they've played them in each of the last 2 playoffs if I remember correctly

Who could we trade for Kosta?

Quote Originally Posted by rt0307 View Post
    familiarity w/ OKC in the playoffs possibly... they've played them in each of the last 2 playoffs if I remember correctly
    That's what I would have guessed... Defense wins championships, and Memphis can defend better than most.

I feel like I'm watching Montyball

I feel like I'm watching Montyball
    This is why Memphis was unimpressive to me. They are very poor offensively.

I keep saying this. Memphis is a team built for the playoffs. They are a threat to all teams in the west in a 7 game series. They just totally choked down the stretch in this game tho. They should've sealed the deal and been up 2-1 in this series. Now it's going to ot and okc has all the momentum. The Westbrook flop while shooting a 3 was just ridiculous and the daft that a professional ref called it a fouls is even more of a joke. These refs just make me smdh. The way Westbrook twisted his body, you'd of thought a 100 mph gust of wind had come thru the arena while he was up in the air releasing the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    I keep saying this. Memphis is a team built for the playoffs. They are a threat to all teams in the west in a 7 game series. They just totally choked down the stretch in this game tho. They should've sealed the deal and been up 2-1 in this series. Now it's going to ot and okc has all the momentum. The Westbrook flop while shooting a 3 was just ridiculous and the daft that a professional ref called it a fouls is even more of a joke. These refs just make me smdh. The way Westbrook twisted his body, you'd of thought a 100 mph gust of wind had come thru the arena while he was up in the air releasing the ball.
    Built for the playoffs like the SF Giants with their great pitching staffs. That wouldn't be a stretch. Some teams take it easy until it matters.

Built for the playoffs like the SF Giants with their great pitching staffs. That wouldn't be a stretch. Some teams take it easy until it matters.
    They are just a wear u down, physical team. They pace themselves and play great defense. They have 2 very good bigs to play inside out with. They grind you in a 7 game series.

Blake Griffin travelled about 4 times on that play

The nba is so watered down. It's ridiculous. These refs r a joke.

I'm just so dam tired of watching these big *** grown men crying , moaning and flailing after every dam touch foul. It's pathetic and annoying.

That was a dam charge on griffin and it wasn't even close. I'd really like to see a curry 3 to win it.

So Paul is allowed to hip check curry while he's shooting a 3??? These refs r truly horrible.

The Memphis Grizzlies with Rudy Gay and O.J. Mayo would beat the Miami Heat in the finals. Sadly they are not playing there anymore .

I don't see why we have to settle on the same narratives year in year out after they've been debunked. I guess maybe it feels good to be able to recite something that is blindly accepted by the common denominator?
    People keep bringing up that Westbrook takes too many shots and is holding Durant back. Remember last year when Westbrook was out and Durant couldn't even come close to shouldering the load? There are definitely times when Westbrook's shot selection is poor but overall he is a net positive for sure.

Montyball is a detracting term used against Monty to describe how he coaches poorly I guess. So what does that mean when another coach is performing 'Montyball'? Are their substitutions questionable? Are they not calling timeouts? Just trying to get a firmer definition there. Is it a term that sticks just because it sounds close to moneyball? You do realize that the x-ball names are how to build teams and not how to coach them right?

Paul George is a very good player. He is good offensively and VERY good defensively. He has improved greatly every year until he hit a wall in the middle of the year. He lead his team the first half of the year to some of the best defensive numbers EVER. The term "super star" is a subjective term and seems to do more with a player's popularity than performance but if that's the case then I would say he is a superstar. If the insinuation is that he isn't a superstar because he isn't playing well then there is a list of players who are "superstars" that then don't deserve that title.

I've been wrong before and I didn't think they'd make the playoffs but I really don't think Dallas is anything to worry about. Their backcourt is Ellis and Calderon and they don't have a single rim protector. Their defense is atrocious. I honestly feel like the Spurs are underperforming more than Dallas is overperforming.

And Joel Myers is awesome, Webber is one of my favorites, and I hope one day I can hear him being brought up without someone resorting to a time out joke.

And the Memphis Grizzles with Rudy Gay and OJ Mayo would lose to the Heat in the finals because Gay and Mayo are net negative players who take shots away from the efficient players. Just because you can score 20+ppg doesn't mean you have a positive effect on the game. Gay has had a real resurgence in Sacramento but even with Isiaiah Thomas' amazing year and Cousins starting to show improvement how many games did they win? Toronto was tanking when they got rid of him and won the third seed. I don't think Gay has to be a net negative player, but I think he hasn't proven that he is nearly as good as many people think he is. Mayo is... did you watch any of Mayo this year? I slightly disagree but MM called Mayo's contract worse than Gordon's even though it is for nearly half as much. Mayo has completely fallen off. Maybe he gets it together but it's not looking good for him.
    Last edited by Jabberwalker; 04-25-2014 at 01:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    Montyball is a detracting term used against Monty to describe how he coaches poorly I guess. So what does that mean when another coach is performing 'Montyball'? Are their substitutions questionable? Are they not calling timeouts? Just trying to get a firmer definition there. Is it a term that sticks just because it sounds close to moneyball? You do realize that the x-ball names are how to build teams and not how to coach them right?
    If Montyball refers to the Pelican's on court performance and coaching decisions made by Monty, then using the term Montyball when the Pelicans are not playing obviously means that a team is performing as if they were coached by Monty Williams. Offensive lulls in the 3rd quarter has clearly been a problem for this team and if you had watched the MEM-OKC game tonight you would know the Grizzlies blew a 17 pt lead in the 4th quarter and were taken into OT. Montyball in that context obviously refers to the lack of offensive production on the court and any coaching decisions that led to the dearth of points scored in the 4th quarter.

I can't believe I even have to explain this

If Montyball refers to the Pelican's on court performance and coaching decisions made by Monty, then using the term Montyball when the Pelicans are not playing obviously means that a team is performing as if they were coached by Monty Williams. Offensive lulls in the 3rd quarter has clearly been a problem for this team and if you had watched the MEM-OKC game tonight you would know the Grizzlies blew a 17 pt lead in the 4th quarter and were taken into OT. Montyball in that context obviously refers to the lack of offensive production on the court and any coaching decisions that led to the dearth of points scored in the 4th quarter.

I can't believe I even have to explain this
    I'm so sorry that I asked for clarification. I guess I'll start quoting your response every time I see 'Montyball' used in reference to his poor rotations, not calling time outs, affinity for 90's ball, and pulling hot shooters. I mean I've seen multiple people use it for those things but I guess they were wrong and in the future I'll know that 'Montyball' refers to when a team blows a lead in the third quarter.

Or we could stop lying to ourselves and recognize that people want to change the vernacular to create cheap shots for a person they see as the cause of such a poor season. Either way.

Thread Information