Pelicans Report

Thread: The Monty Dilemma: 6 game improvements

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar

The Monty Dilemma: 6 game improvements

Even to a "fire Monty person" like myself, there has been an improvement to the team you can see over the past 3 seasons, that improvement is 6 games. Monty's 2nd year here with a completely different roster than his rookie year, we won 21 games, last year we won 27 and this year is 33 wins (hopefully 34).

I don't think there is a person here who would not admit that this team would probably be a low seed playoff contender if we had not had the injures we have had this season - Holiday, Anderson, Davis, Evans, Gordon, Smith. Holiday, Anderson and Smith are the guys who missed the most time that I feel would have completely changed the outcome of the season.

The question I pose to you is are 6 game improvements each year enough to keep your job as a HC? Obviously the injuries this year (and next) will play a factor in that decision but I don't think a 39 win season next year is acceptable and would really be wasting some of AD's prime. Thoughts?

in 6-7 years we'll be the first 81-1 team ever, stick with monty

Jokes aside i think he would have had much more than 6 games this year if he'd had a minimum of health. I don't know that even putting popovich here we'd have won that much more this season. Next season is make or break, whether or not it'll be injury free or injury riddled i suppose. Monty has actually slightly got better by the end of the season...but he could revert back to form next year, who knows

We are poised for a jump into playoff contention next year, everything points to it. Davis, Rivers, Anderson have all added to their game and we have seen improvement from Reke and Ajinca. Even Roberts has gotten better. Say what you want about monty's lineups and in game rotations but he has these players getting better every year and another offseason for this squad + additions(new players and old ones back from injury) and I think the bar should be AT THE LEAST a +10wins next year. That might not seem like much, putting us around 43-4, but that would at least put us in contention in an extremely competitive west(dallas and memphis are the 7&8 seeds both at 49 wins, if they didn't play each other for the last game of the season every team in the west playoffs could have 50 wins this year, think about that). So while we should make the playoffs with the talent on the team I won't put our season or monty's job on making the playoffs as long as we continue to see player improvement and a good W-L improvement.
    never assume

Honestly I don't think we would of made the playoffs if we were healthy. It's looking to take 51 games to make the 8 seed. Not sure if we get over 50 wins 100% healthy. I've seen improvement over the course if the season BUT then it seems he regresses again and does the same old stupid ish again. So idk about him at this point. I've just accepted that he will probably be here next year. Next year has to be playoffs or bust tho. Injuries or no injuries. At some point all of the reasons(excuses) have to be pushed aside and some new energy needs to be injected into this franchise with changes up top. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    [...] Monty's 2nd year here with a completely different roster than his rookie year[...]
    I just want to point out that he has had a completely different roster every single season he has been here. Top five players by minutes for each season Monty has coached:

Code:
    Anthony Davis	2358
    Eric Gordon	2057
    Al-Farouq Aminu	2028
    Tyreke Evans	1993
    Brian Roberts	1663

Greivis Vasquez	2685
    Ryan Anderson	2503
    Robin Lopez	2136
    Al-Farouq Aminu	2066
    Anthony Davis	1846

Marco Belinelli	1966
    Greivis Vasquez	1706
    Jarrett Jack	1530
    Al-Farouq Aminu	1477
    Chris Kaman	1372

Chris Paul	2880
    Trevor Ariza    2600
    David West	2451
    Emeka Okafor	2287
    Marco Belinelli	1957
    At most, he has had two of his top five minute getters stay with the team between seasons. Next year will look significantly different, too.

Not only were they different rosters... just look at them. Damn near every player on those rosters are backups elsewhere (and even the backups were getting injured). So we have been starting back-ups with Monty as HC, and folks wonder why the guy hasn't had much success. Its all about expectations... look at what any coach has at his disposal, then come up with realistic expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    I just want to point out that he has had a completely different roster every single season he has been here. Top five players by minutes for each season Monty has coached:

Code:
    Anthony Davis	2358
    Eric Gordon	2057
    Al-Farouq Aminu	2028
    Tyreke Evans	1993
    Brian Roberts	1663

Greivis Vasquez	2685
    Ryan Anderson	2503
    Robin Lopez	2136
    Al-Farouq Aminu	2066
    Anthony Davis	1846

Marco Belinelli	1966
    Greivis Vasquez	1706
    Jarrett Jack	1530
    Al-Farouq Aminu	1477
    Chris Kaman	1372

Chris Paul	2880
    Trevor Ariza    2600
    David West	2451
    Emeka Okafor	2287
    Marco Belinelli	1957
    At most, he has had two of his top five minute getters stay with the team between seasons. Next year will look significantly different, too.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    In the offseason, they will get better for next year. So with the injuries gone and at least one or two better player, they should compete for a playoff spot.

We should expect 12-15 more wins next season, with a legit shot at the playoffs. We should hope for 20 more wins, a 4th seed, and getting to the second round. That would take a string of 2-3 excellent acquisitions by Dell, avoiding any Steamers or Poseys, plus some judicious deletions from the current roster. It will also require decent health from the Core 4.

Quote Originally Posted by NOEngineer View Post
    We should expect 12-15 more wins next season, with a legit shot at the playoffs. We should hope for 20 more wins, a 4th seed, and getting to the second round. That would take a string of 2-3 excellent acquisitions by Dell, avoiding any Steamers or Poseys, plus some judicious deletions from the current roster. It will also require decent health from the Core 4.
    I agree and hope that I don't look stupid with my win prediction next year

Draft Pick
    I may be in the minority here but if you can line up AD, Ryan, Gordon and Dru Holiday for the bulk of your games and pray that a true decent Center comes along some kind of way; considering that a good bit of the west is getting a little long in the tooth there aren't many teams I would say we have no chance of going 7 with.

That's not to say we are going to win the finals but the way we were racking up points when the new and improved AD was on the floor with Ryan is enough to give any team fits.

This is a good squad give them time to grow. Just find a true option at center.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thread Information