Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Austin Rivers Ceiling

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Ok, you win. I wasn't going to post in this thread but I saw comparisons to Curry and TP, I couldn't resist. I concede. With his work ethic and attitude he destined for greatness. I just hope we can afford him when he becomes a free agent. He'll be a highly coveted FA in 2016-17
    Yea cause that was what I said. Smh. Whatever makes u feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    Yea cause that was what I said. Smh. Whatever makes u feel better.
    Don't worry about it man, Uptown just doesn't like Rivers. I wouldn't waste my time with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans_fan_504 View Post
    Don't worry about it man, Uptown just doesn't like Rivers. I wouldn't waste my time with him.
    Yea it's pretty obvious I clearly said he could develop into a jr smith type of player in a 6th man role. Somehow he translates that into greatness and a max level superstar. The hate is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans_fan_504 View Post
    It's not that I don't like him, I just judge what I see. He was awful last year so of course he made strides. He couldn't get any worse. I guess I should say I'm not going to worry about KC, he's just in love with Rivers. See what I did there?
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Yea it's pretty obvious I clearly said he could develop into a jr smith type of player in a 6th man role. Somehow he translates that into greatness and a max level superstar. The hate is ridiculous.
    That was sarcasm. Once again, it's not hate. When Gordon/steamer/chief are criticized its constructive criticism but when you criticize Rivers, it's hate. Rivers isn't that good. Sorry. His ceiling is rotation player. We'll agree to disagree. You stay on the Rivers wagon and I'll still hope that we continue to upgrade our talent.

I love Rivers and how hard he works, but I tend to agree. Objectively speaking, the most likely outcome for him is solid rotation player based on what we see so far. But because he is such a hard worker, is our guy, and was a 10th pick, we give him more of a benefit of the doubt than we do most players.
    @mcnamara247

It's not that I don't like him, I just judge what I see. He was awful last year so of course he made strides. He couldn't get any worse. I guess I should say I'm not going to worry about KC, he's just in love with Rivers. See what I did there?
    LOL

That was sarcasm. Once again, it's not hate. When Gordon/steamer/chief are criticized its constructive criticism but when you criticize Rivers, it's hate. Rivers isn't that good. Sorry. His ceiling is rotation player. We'll agree to disagree. You stay on the Rivers wagon and I'll still hope that we continue to upgrade our talent.
    You know dam well I've backed Gordon through and through......UNTIL NOW. Sorry but that dude is a cream puff and nothing but a detriment to our team. If rivers leaves the pelicans I give 2 ****s what he does. I just don't see how you can't see how sick his off the dribble game is. He can take anyone to the hole. If he can keep Improving at finishing at the rim, and develop a step back jumper. He'd be dam good. The great thing about this is we will find out.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I love Rivers and how hard he works, but I tend to agree. Objectively speaking, the most likely outcome for him is solid rotation player based on what we see so far. But because he is such a hard worker, is our guy, and was a 10th pick, we give him more of a benefit of the doubt than we do most players.
    Thank you sir. Somebody here gets it.

Is J R smith a solid rotation player? I mean what's the difference in a solid rotation player and a 6th man? Not that much.

You know dam well I've backed Gordon through and through......UNTIL NOW. Sorry but that dude is a cream puff and nothing but a detriment to our team. If rivers leaves the pelicans I give 2 ****s what he does. I just don't see how you can't see how sick his off the dribble game is. He can take anyone to the hole. If he can keep Improving at finishing at the rim, and develop a step back jumper. He'd be dam good. The great thing about this is we will find out.
    Yes sir. We will find out. I never said that he didn't have an NBA skill. He's just not that good on the nba level. I can't argue this anymore. I do want to say this though. I'm a Pels fan. I'm not a fan of any single player on this team. I don't hate or love any of them. I just care about wins and losses. I feel like we could get a better player than Rivers to help this team win games. With that said, I feel the same way about miller, Babbitt, ely, the other new dude who's name I forgot, and steamer.

Is J R smith a solid rotation player? I mean what's the difference in a solid rotation player and a 6th man? Not that much.
    I dont know because I dont know who we are talking about when we say JR Smith. That guy has been like 10 different players over his career. Can you give me a specific year or a player that hasn't been so bipolar?

As far as the overall question - I think there is a huge difference between 6th men and role players. Like Manu was a 6th man, Gary Neal is a role player. But again, give me a more concrete player and I will tell you if I think there is even a smidge of a chance Rivers can get there. Example: I dont think there is even a smidge of a chance that Rivers can even get to 75% of Manu.

I dont know because I dont know who we are talking about when we say JR Smith. That guy has been like 10 different players over his career. Can you give me a specific year or a player that hasn't been so bipolar?

As far as the overall question - I think there is a huge difference between 6th men and role players. Like Manu was a 6th man, Gary Neal is a role player. But again, give me a more concrete player and I will tell you if I think there is even a smidge of a chance Rivers can get there. Example: I dont think there is even a smidge of a chance that Rivers can even get to 75% of Manu.
    Ginobli is underrated big time. Dude was a beast in his prime. I don't think rivers projects that high. I don't really care to try and project guys careers into others careers cause there so many factors that come into play with how that guy we are comparing to ended up with a career like that. Does that make sense? I only used j r smith as a role comparison not a player comparison. He has always been a super sub 6th man. That's what I project for rivers is a 6th man role. Much more of a role than a Gary Neal I know that. I think he can wind up averaging 25+ mpg for his career.

Yes sir. We will find out. I never said that he didn't have an NBA skill. He's just not that good on the nba level. I can't argue this anymore. I do want to say this though. I'm a Pels fan. I'm not a fan of any single player on this team. I don't hate or love any of them. I just care about wins and losses. I feel like we could get a better player than Rivers to help this team win games. With that said, I feel the same way about miller, Babbitt, ely, the other new dude who's name I forgot, and steamer.
    Exactly what I already said. Rivers goes to another team and I couldn't give 2 ****s what he projects to be.

Exactly what I already said. Rivers goes to another team and I couldn't give 2 ****s what he projects to be.
    Good. We're friends again. All is well in the kingdom

Good. We're friends again. All is well in the kingdom
    Again?? Dam it's like that fuzz?

Again?? Dam it's like that fuzz?
    Yeah, that did come out a little bit strange. I meant it as a figure of speech (humor). Sarcasm always gets lost on the interweb.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    I think a fair comparison for Rivers is Ramon Sessions with a bit better defense.
    @DanielVeuleman

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post

I hope he stays with his dad and learns the finer points, but he is a broken man.
    You're way off base here. A broken man? Seriously? You can judge his athleticism as much as your heart desires, but to try and judge what is in his heart and how much "want to" he has is an exercise in futility at best and a completely unfair criticism at worst.

Yeah, that did come out a little bit strange. I meant it as a figure of speech (humor). Sarcasm always gets lost on the interweb.
    I know...I'm just giving u ****. Lol..it's all good u know we have our debates on a few things but for most part we agree on a lot. Rivers seems to be the only difference Tho. Maybe after another leap this next year u will become a believer. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tomdda View Post
    You're way off base here. A broken man? Seriously? You can judge his athleticism as much as your heart desires, but to try and judge what is in his heart and how much "want to" he has is an exercise in futility at best and a completely unfair criticism at worst.
    Ok you got me. He's MJ.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I certainly hope he's not malcolm jenkins

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    I certainly hope he's not malcolm jenkins
    He does have the "all defense, whats offense?" mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    He does have the "all defense, whats offense?" mentality.
    Actually that doesn't fit Jenkins at all...FAIL.

Jenkins played defense, not offense.

But I digress, LONG LIVE AUSTIN RIVERS!

Thread Information