Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Austin Rivers Ceiling

Austin Rivers Ceiling

At best, I think he can be a Steph Curry lite.

He has elite evasivesness and his BBIQ is improving every game.

What you say?

He's a better defender that Steph now. IDK if he'll ever have the shooting consistency as Steph so that would be a bad comparison.

I like the direction he's headed though. I love the way he attacks the basket, but man... a consistent jumper (mid-range at least) and the ability to finish more of those layups would make him unstoppable. His BBIQ is definitely getting better he knows when and where to drop off passes when he attacks.

I believe kclaboy previously said Mike Conley. I think that's doable.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

He's elite at losing his man of the dribble so developing a solid mid range must be his priority this off season. And that is a skill very much possible to work on and create.

It's just technique and repetition.

Technique and repetition.

Technique and...

If by "Lite" you mean "without any kind whatsoever of ability shooting the ball even half as well as curry does" then yes, why not

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    He's improved his midrange, his ability to finish and defense so much this year. I'm not sure what a good comp for him is, but I feel very good about him as our spark plug off the bench next year.
    @DanielVeuleman

Avery Bradley with a quicker first step IMO.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    If by "Lite" you mean "without any kind whatsoever of ability shooting the ball even half as well as curry does" then yes, why not
    This can be fixed.

The very fact it even needs to be fixed says volumes, but he brings certain elite skills that can't be taught.

Let's not forget LeBron had a broken jumper for the best part of 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    This can be fixed.

The very fact it even needs to be fixed says volumes, but he brings certain elite skills that can't be taught.

Let's not forget LeBron had a broken jumper for the best part of 5 years.
    And LeBron still doesn't shoot that well off the dribble, which is what makes Curry so damn deadly with his shot.

MM, isn't Austin already shooting as well or better than Bradley this season? I'm not at a computer to look it up on basketball-reference or stats.nba.com.

He will not be Curry. Curry is one of the best pure shooters in the league. Lol.

I kinda see Rivers ceiling as Manu Ginobli.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    You've a knack for coming up with these comparisons, good sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    And LeBron still doesn't shoot that well off the dribble, which is what makes Curry so damn deadly with his shot.

MM, isn't Austin already shooting as well or better than Bradley this season? I'm not at a computer to look it up on basketball-reference or stats.nba.com.

No, Bradley shoots 39.5% from three on more than twice as many attempts. Also better at the rim and MUCH better from mid-range. Bradley elite on ball defender as well.

Rivers with better handles and first step. If he can get to where Bradley is on shooting and D, and have the handles and step on top of that, he is a top 100-120 NBA player.

Imagine if every time Austin crossed someone up just outside the key he could pull up and it was money, Harden style.

Pretty sure Harden wasn't always elite at it, but he learnt to be.

Also, as he grows into a man he will get stronger around the rim and start making more of those contested shots he's been missing the first 2 years of his career.

Harden was good, grew to great. Austin is terrible. Growing to average would be a more realistic expectation IMO. I cant find many players in NBA history that started as one of the worst in the league and grew to good or great.

Harden was good, grew to great. Austin is terrible. Growing to average would be a more realistic expectation IMO. I cant find many players in NBA history that started as one of the worst in the league and grew to good or great.
    Austin was never 'terrible' in the true sense of the word.

He had glaring holes in his game which we all saw, but the raw talent was evident. He even had a 27 point game in his first year. The signs were there.

Someone like Hasheem Thabeet was terrible from the time he played his first minute until this very day.

Rivers is barely 22, came out of college way too early, but the basis of a potentially above average player was always there.

They way he's finished the season has vindicated my assessment of him.

The sky is the limit for Austin. We need to stop trying to peg players into our own bias expectations. All I want Austin to do is practice free throw shooting, perfect his mid-range game and passing.

Terrible? He was a fish outta water because of his age and lack of bulk. His numbers weren't good last year but doesn't mean we didn't see improvement. Then this year more development and consistency. This kid will be a starter for us in 2 years and a cornerstone for our franchise along w AD Rino Tyreke and Jrue. No expectations other than that I'm still not sure what he becomes as a player PG or SG. He is dedicated to be great...which should translate to being pretty good not great though.

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    Austin was never 'terrible' in the true sense of the word.

He had glaring holes in his game which we all saw, but the raw talent was evident. He even had a 27 point game in his first year. The signs were there.

Someone like Hasheem Thabeet was terrible from the time he played his first minute until this very day.

Rivers is barely 22, came out of college way too early, but the basis of a potentially above average player was always there.

They way he's finished the season has vindicated my assessment of him.
    We were talking about mid range jumpers only. Rivers is/was terrible in this department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by brentmd2 View Post
    Terrible? He was a fish outta water because of his age and lack of bulk. His numbers weren't good last year but doesn't mean we didn't see improvement. Then this year more development and consistency. This kid will be a starter for us in 2 years and a cornerstone for our franchise along w AD Rino Tyreke and Jrue. No expectations other than that I'm still not sure what he becomes as a player PG or SG. He is dedicated to be great...which should translate to being pretty good not great though.
    It was my fault for not quoting what I was answering. We were talking about his midrange game compared to Hardens. That part of his game was/is terrible. Not Rivers overall game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be very happy with this^^.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    I think Rivers should study Tony Parker. Came into the league at 19, with no jumpshot, decent handle and lots of quickness. Everything else came with time. That's his ceiling.. but if he reaches that level with his bulk and size he really has no ceiling.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    I think Rivers should study Tony Parker. Came into the league at 19, with no jumpshot, decent handle and lots of quickness. Everything else came with time. That's his ceiling.. but if he reaches that level with his bulk and size he really has no ceiling.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    Insightful. If he can approach Parker that would be awesome but I can see the comparison.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Eliteeeeeeee bombs being dropped everywhere!!

Did some of you mention Rivers with Curry and Manu in the same sentence?!.. you guys need to calm down please. I'm sure Doc himself wouldn't say that about his son. Now, Austin definitely needs to work on the J and more importantly work on his decision making (i.e. unforced turnovers).

Thread Information