Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Exit Interviews

Exit Interviews

Looks like the team has started to upload the exit interviews with the press:

Dell Demps

Monty Williams

I have only listened to the one on Monty's rotations and the good news with that one is that he made it very clear that the offense will run through Davis next season and that he has made it known to all the players for the last few months.

I thought Dell and Monty were honest and thoughtful and demonstrated a good sense for where the team is and where it needs to go.

For once.. monty sounds logical!
    Sounds like monty wants to get rid of Gordon and make A.D that 15-20 field attempts per game player.
    Last edited by Pantazis76; 04-17-2014 at 09:52 PM.

Enjoyed those more than I thought I would. Monty on Rotations was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    For once.. monty sounds logical!
    Sounds like monty wants to get rid of Gordon and make A.D that 15-20 field attempts per game player.
    You really don't like Gordon do you? I listened to the entire presser and I never once got the impression that Monty wanted to get rid of Gordon. I'm not saying Gordon is in the plans but I didn't get that point from anything Monty said.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    You really don't like Gordon do you? I listened to the entire presser and I never once got the impression that Monty wanted to get rid of Gordon. I'm not saying Gordon is in the plans but I didn't get that point from anything Monty said.
    When someone brught up Tyreke starting, he started to discuss Gordon maybe coming off the bench, then stopped and said "If I say anything now, it will just be blown out of proportion, so I'll just stop." That to me tells me, he hopes Gordon is gone so he can role with the lineup he wants. If Gordon isn't gone, you almost have to start him in hopes he increases his trade stock during the season. lol

Personally, we should use th stretch provision on gordon this year if we cannot trade his salary.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Biggest thing I took from those:

-Monty says it's unfair to play AD at center full time, same with Evans at the 3.
    -The team is playing 100% through AD
    -From Monty's comments seems like he is taking the approach that we have no starting 3 on the roster, JMO but I'm thinking AFA is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    When someone brught up Tyreke starting, he started to discuss Gordon maybe coming off the bench, then stopped and said "If I say anything now, it will just be blown out of proportion, so I'll just stop." That to me tells me, he hopes Gordon is gone so he can role with the lineup he wants. If Gordon isn't gone, you almost have to start him in hopes he increases his trade stock during the season. lol

Personally, we should use th stretch provision on gordon this year if we cannot trade his salary.
    I think I know what this is but can you just clarify?

Is this something where with guaranteed money you can waive a player and then stretch the remaining due over a period of 2-3 years?

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    I think I know what this is but can you just clarify?

Is this something where with guaranteed money you can waive a player and then stretch the remaining due over a period of 2-3 years?
    Because MM did a great job writing it up, I'll just point you there.

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...g-eric-gordon/

and Part 2:

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...beasley-model/

Because MM did a great job writing it up, I'll just point you there.

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...g-eric-gordon/

and Part 2:

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...beasley-model/
    In short, the Stretch Provision allows a team to take the money owed to a player and stretch the cap hit out over an alloted number of seasons. Per the new CBA, the team can stretch it out for twice as many years remaining plus an additional year. So, if the Pelicans were to stretch Eric Gordon this summer, they could stretch that $30.4 million over five seasons (2 x 2 +1) or if they stretch him next summer, they could stretch his final year that he is owed $15.5 million over three seasons.
    Good explanation. I wasn't too far off lol

Good explanation. I wasn't too far off lol
    Yep. I guess the benefit of waiting this year out is that Gordon might opt out saving the cap space anyway. If you do it now that doesn't become an option.

Yep. I guess the benefit of waiting this year out is that Gordon might opt out saving the cap space anyway. If you do it now that doesn't become an option.
    Yea but if he signs elsewhere once we cut him. Then we save even more money on top of what we were already saving. So, I hope dell really considers this. Even when he's healthy and playing. He's not a factor after the 1st quarter. It was a common theme game after game.

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    Yea but if he signs elsewhere once we cut him. Then we save even more money on top of what we were already saving. So, I hope dell really considers this. Even when he's healthy and playing. He's not a factor after the 1st quarter. It was a common theme game after game.
    If we owe him guaranteed money (which most NBA contracts are) it does not matter if he signs with another team, we still owe him the money we gave him when we signed his contract. Case in point was Rashad Lewis. We acquired him then cut him, he almost immediately signed with the Heat, making somewhere near a min deal with them, but still received the 17mil from us or whatever it was.

But I agree however it gets done I think it's time for Gordon to go. Hopefully he has played his last game wearing a New Orleans jersey.

If we owe him guaranteed money (which most NBA contracts are) it does not matter if he signs with another team, we still owe him the money we gave him when we signed his contract. Case in point was Rashad Lewis. We acquired him then cut him, he almost immediately signed with the Heat, making somewhere near a min deal with them, but still received the 17mil from us or whatever it was.

But I agree however it gets done I think it's time for Gordon to go. Hopefully he has played his last game wearing a New Orleans jersey.
    We got to subtract that min deal from what we paid him if I remember correctly.

If Gordon signed for 4 years 20 million I think we get to offset that from what we own him in the next two years.

Not 100% sure

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar

The Lewis situation might have been different, I dont remember. Under the stretch (and the amnesty), the money you owe gets offset by how much another team signs him.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

All this information is literally in the article MM wrote. Lol. The links have already been posted and quoted in this very thread. I argue with MM quite a bit, but dude does spend hours writing these articles so we don't have to guess about this stuff. Even though he's been wrong lately (lol), the stuff he posts as fact is spot on.

As far as the Gordon situation goes, His contract can be bought out and then stretched x2 + 1. So if he was cut this summer it would be 2 (number of years left on his contract) x 2 + 1 or stretched over 5 years. Cap hit would be roughly 6M/yr of dead money.

According to the CBA if Gordon is signed by another team the amount of our dead money cap hit would be Gordon's new contract - vet minimum /2. So if he signed a 4yr/20m deal you would take the yearly average 5m - 1.1m (roughly vet league min) or 3.9m/2. So it would offset it by 1.45m so his cap hit would be 4.55m.

There's also some discuss about whether We can negotiate the amount of the buyout with Gordon. Like offering him 20M instead of 30. Per CBAfaq this isn't allowed for contracts signed under the new CBA but MM found an example of a player who has done it. So that might be an option to lower the cap as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    All this information is literally in the article MM wrote. Lol. The links have already been posted and quoted in this very thread. I argue with MM quite a bit, but dude does spend hours writing these articles so we don't have to guess about this stuff. Even though he's been wrong lately (lol), the stuff he posts as fact is spot on.

As far as the Gordon situation goes, His contract can be bought out and then stretched x2 + 1. So if he was cut this summer it would be 2 (number of years left on his contract) x 2 + 1 or stretched over 5 years. Cap hit would be roughly 6M/yr of dead money.

According to the CBA if Gordon is signed by another team the amount of our dead money cap hit would be Gordon's new contract - vet minimum /2. So if he signed a 4yr/20m deal you would take the yearly average 5m - 1.1m (roughly vet league min) or 3.9m/2. So it would offset it by 1.45m so his cap hit would be 4.55m.

There's also some discuss about whether We can negotiate the amount of the buyout with Gordon. Like offering him 20M instead of 30. Per CBAfaq this isn't allowed for contracts signed under the new CBA but MM found an example of a player who has done it. So that might be an option to lower the cap as well.
    A lot of evidence says that if an article is over 800 words, people dont read it. That is the magic number for some reason. I have not took this data to heart obviously when writing my articles, but perhaps I should. So clear that they just dont get read - either at all, all the way, or thoroughly. Gotta start making them shorter like Nola.com does!
    @mcnamara247

Yeah, it might be a better idea to break up in-depth articles across multiple parts. Hopefully gets people reading the full article as well as padding out some content!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    A lot of evidence says that if an article is over 800 words, people dont read it. That is the magic number for some reason. I have not took this data to heart obviously when writing my articles, but perhaps I should. So clear that they just dont get read - either at all, all the way, or thoroughly. Gotta start making them shorter like Nola.com does!
    Keep them the same length but make the important parts bigger! And brighter colors!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Keep them the same length but make the important parts bigger! And brighter colors!
    With pictures!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    Yeah, it might be a better idea to break up in-depth articles across multiple parts. Hopefully gets people reading the full article as well as padding out some content!
    Yeah, I did that on the Stretching Eric Gordon one. Maybe should have made it a 4 parter as opposed to 2 parts.

Got an article coming out tomorrow that is 1500 words. Maybe I should split that into two. If thats what the people want, gotta give it to 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    This is the exact reason people hate Bleacher report. Splitting articles is annoying and frustrating from a users standpoint. Differences aside I appreciate all the articles written on BBS and I wouldn't want the articles dumbed down or split. Most are in-depth content that requires the amount of words written.

Appreciate it - I like our content too. And The Bird Writes has some amazing in-depth stuff that even kills my word count from time to time. But I will admit, if I was doing this for money, I would do it a little differently. So I cant hate on other sites too much, because people gotta earn a living.

With pictures!!
    They don't even have to match what the article is about. I mean if you really want page views all pictures should be of the Pelican Dancers.

Appreciate it - I like our content too. And The Bird Writes has some amazing in-depth stuff that even kills my word count from time to time. But I will admit, if I was doing this for money, I would do it a little differently. So I cant hate on other sites too much, because people gotta earn a living.
    You mean there's other websites that feature Pelicans stuff? I'm limited to these forums and BSS.

Thread Information