Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Working on his Jumper Should NOT be Tyreke's top priority

Working on his Jumper Should NOT be Tyreke's top priority

I know people often say that this is what Tyreke needs to concentrate on first and foremost this summer, but I disagree. Yes, it would be nice if that got better, but I think other things should be addressed first. Here's why:

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...his-jump-shot/
    @mcnamara247

Banned
    We need an elite rim scorer, while jrue and eric were supposed to be able to get to the rim, we clearly need someone that can have a shot at dunking around the Lebron's of the league. We have plenty of jump shooters and 3 pointers...

I agree that Reke needs to make more around the rim (I've said that a few times in threads), but him having a better jumpshot would not only help HIS shooting %, it'll open up so much more for the offense.

Sure, making a few more of those layups will help, but if you give Reke a consistent mid-range jumper, then defenders won't be able to sag off of him and sit in the paint (fringe of the paint, but still...).

Same with Austin. We all know he could stand to make a few more of those layups, but if he gets a jumper, then he's unguardable.

If Tyreke could be as consistent making his layups as he has been the last 2 games, then I can't friggin wait to see him with a full cast of healthy teammates to stretch the floor next season.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    I agree that Reke needs to make more around the rim (I've said that a few times in threads), but him having a better jumpshot would not only help HIS shooting %, it'll open up so much more for the offense.

Sure, making a few more of those layups will help, but if you give Reke a consistent mid-range jumper, then defenders won't be able to sag off of him and sit in the paint (fringe of the paint, but still...).

Same with Austin. We all know he could stand to make a few more of those layups, but if he gets a jumper, then he's unguardable.

If Tyreke could be as consistent making his layups as he has been the last 2 games, then I can't friggin wait to see him with a full cast of healthy teammates to stretch the floor next season.
    Again, this is the conventional wisdom argument that people often say just because it seems to make sense, but often times the numbers dont support it. Instead, guys fall in love with the jumper and dont attack as much and that isnt good for anyone.

Read the article, look at the numbers and tell me if you still have this belief.

I always appreciate your perspective on things Mike. It was a good article, and I think it's a sound theory. Actually, I think he should do away with the mid-range jumper and work more on his 3-point shooting like Rivers did. If Reke can hit 37% or more in catch-and-shoot situations, that's more than enough. It allows Jrue to handle the ball more, so Reke doesn't have to waste all of his energy. It also spaces the floor, because right now he is in Aminu territory.

I opened this thread expecting to write a rebuttal but decided to actually read the article first.

Now I don't really have a rebuttal because I agree with everything you wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaLegs View Post
    I opened this thread expecting to write a rebuttal but decided to actually read the article first.

Now I don't really have a rebuttal because I agree with everything you wrote.
    I love that you admit it. I got so any rebuttals today and it was clear people didn't read it. Thanks for reading, glad you enjoyed it. Or I think you did, but your emoticon looks mad!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I know people often say that this is what Tyreke needs to concentrate on first and foremost this summer, but I disagree. Yes, it would be nice if that got better, but I think other things should be addressed first. Here's why:

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...his-jump-shot/
    I see your point and you know far more about it than I but, it seems by the examples you showed that it's more a matter of those players falling in love with their new TOY and forgetting what they did best . It seems that if he did improve the mid game defenders would have to respect that and opening up he drives. The trick is making sure he does not fall in love with the new toy and that would be on Monty . Just a thought

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    I'm pretty much on board with this article. I will say that Gerry V had some good insight as well in the comment section

Quote Originally Posted by djrnno View Post
    I see your point and you know far more about it than I but, it seems by the examples you showed that it's more a matter of those players falling in love with their new TOY and forgetting what they did best . It seems that if he did improve the mid game defenders would have to respect that and opening up he drives. The trick is making sure he does not fall in love with the new toy and that would be on Monty . Just a thought
    Agree. They don't HAVE to use it, but they do tend to.

And again, I am not saying that he should NEVER improve it, just that he should focus on the other things more. That is the part that I think some people fail to read

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love that you admit it. I got so any rebuttals today and it was clear people didn't read it. Thanks for reading, glad you enjoyed it. Or I think you did, but your emoticon looks mad!

Mad because I couldn't use the scathing rebuttal that I had prepared! Very much enjoyed the article though, as always. Keep 'em coming!

Quote Originally Posted by SeaLegs View Post

Mad because I couldn't use the scathing rebuttal that I had prepared! Very much enjoyed the article though, as always. Keep 'em coming!
    Got a few other pieces coming out I am super excited about. Looking forward to them and the convos we start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    I always appreciate your perspective on things Mike. It was a good article, and I think it's a sound theory. Actually, I think he should do away with the mid-range jumper and work more on his 3-point shooting like Rivers did. If Reke can hit 37% or more in catch-and-shoot situations, that's more than enough. It allows Jrue to handle the ball more, so Reke doesn't have to waste all of his energy. It also spaces the floor, because right now he is in Aminu territory.
    This is about where I stand too. Focus on improving skills at the rim first and foremost, but also work on being effective without the ball, too (like the spot-up 3pt shooting).

Evans should only ever take a mid-range shot if everyone else is covered and there is no room for him to drive into the paint. Or in desperation situations. Those are probably one and the same. If he only ever becomes below average at 6-12 foot shots, I will be happy.

The only reason I disagree with this article is because Tyreke already is a great finisher. Last year he shot 64% from 0-3ft. The year before he shot 65%. The year before that he was 62%. This year was an anomaly for him he shot 54%. He has averaged 60% for his career w/ this year counted. I think the issue was a new team and learning the system/players. He has shown already that he can do it. And I believe more than him working on this summer he needs to get comfortable here.

So because of this I think he needs to 100% work on his jumper. He's already shown he can do both. Last year he shot 64% from 0-3ft and 34% from 3pt. But unlike his finishing at the rim his jumper has been streaky throughout his career.

And my argument is backed up because it was announced earlier in the season and Rivers and Tyreke were going to stay in NO this off-season specifically to work on their jumper together. So Tyreke and the coaching staff have addressed this and realize the best course for him.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    The only reason I disagree with this article is because Tyreke already is a great finisher. Last year he shot 64% from 0-3ft. The year before he shot 65%. The year before that he was 62%. This year was an anomaly for him he shot 54%. He has averaged 60% for his career w/ this year counted. I think the issue was a new team and learning the system/players. He has shown already that he can do it. And I believe more than him working on this summer he needs to get comfortable here.

So because of this I think he needs to 100% work on his jumper. He's already shown he can do both. Last year he shot 64% from 0-3ft and 34% from 3pt. But unlike his finishing at the rim his jumper has been streaky throughout his career.

And my argument is backed up because it was announced earlier in the season and Rivers and Tyreke were going to stay in NO this off-season specifically to work on their jumper together. So Tyreke and the coaching staff have addressed this and realize the best course for him.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    But based on that logic, I can say he is already a solid shooter because he shot 34% from three and on his midrange last year (shot 22 and 25 percent this year)

I cant take a whole season as an abberation and even eye test, we all saw him miss some easy looks this year or take some crazy junk. He has to improve there, and if you look at the post up numbers in the article, I dont think you can argue improvement is needed there.

And your final argument, that X is what he WILL do is not an argument for what he OUGHT to do. This is the conventional wisdom; something I would have believed before digging into the numbers. But conventional wisdom is not always right.

But based on that logic, I can say he is already a solid shooter because he shot 34% from three and on his midrange last year (shot 22 and 25 percent this year)

I cant take a whole season as an abberation and even eye test, we all saw him miss some easy looks this year or take some crazy junk. He has to improve there, and if you look at the post up numbers in the article, I dont think you can argue improvement is needed there.

And your final argument, that X is what he WILL do is not an argument for what he OUGHT to do. This is the conventional wisdom; something I would have believed before digging into the numbers. But conventional wisdom is not always right.
    No. Look at his career averages. 60% from 0-3ft. From there out he's shot 33%, 33%, 32%, 27%. I wonder which he should work on?

The bigger problem I think is you are basing your entire argument off of a career low season and saying, "this is what he needs to work on." But he's already really good in that area. Every other season has shown this. We have 4 years of data to back this up. We also have 4 previous years of data showing he's been poor shooting from 3ft out. If I'm looking at Tyreke and I'm trying to figure out where he has the most room to improve, it's in his jumper.

You also didn't address the fact that he took a career high % of attempts from 0-3. He took 57% of his shots at the rim. That's 11% higher than his career average and 6% higher than his next closest season, which was his rookie year. When you look at these %s they match up with his least productive seasons for FG% around the rim. This to me looks like he drove and took so many shots around the rim that the quality went down. But the problem is understanding why. Was it because we were an injury ridden team that Tyreke felt he had to produce for? I think that's likely.

Personally, with the type of season we had it's very hard to evaluate what is best for Tyreke. But gun to my head, I think you have to assume 4 years of data isn't wrong and he's better off focusing on his jumper this offseason. I think you have to assume his FG% around the rim will go back toward his career average. Whereas even if his jumper is a career average, it's still bad and needs to improve.

The post up is whatever. Sure he can work on that.

No. Look at his career averages. 60% from 0-3ft. From there out he's shot 33%, 33%, 32%, 27%. I wonder which he should work on?

The bigger problem I think is you are basing your entire argument off of a career low season and saying, "this is what he needs to work on." But he's already really good in that area. Every other season has shown this. We have 4 years of data to back this up. We also have 4 previous years of data showing he's been poor shooting from 3ft out. If I'm looking at Tyreke and I'm trying to figure out where he has the most room to improve, it's in his jumper.

You also didn't address the fact that he took a career high % of attempts from 0-3. He took 57% of his shots at the rim. That's 11% higher than his career average and 6% higher than his next closest season, which was his rookie year. When you look at these %s they match up with his least productive seasons for FG% around the rim. This to me looks like he drove and took so many shots around the rim that the quality went down. But the problem is understanding why. Was it because we were an injury ridden team that Tyreke felt he had to produce for? I think that's likely.

Personally, with the type of season we had it's very hard to evaluate what is best for Tyreke. But gun to my head, I think you have to assume 4 years of data isn't wrong and he's better off focusing on his jumper this offseason. I think you have to assume his FG% around the rim will go back toward his career average. Whereas even if his jumper is a career average, it's still bad and needs to improve.

The post up is whatever. Sure he can work on that.
    And Lebron is shooting 70% around the rim this year, so even if he returns to his avg, can he not improve even more?

Again, I am not saying to ignore the jumper. But if, out of 10 shots, you take 6 from A, 2 from B, 1 from C, and 1 from D - why wouldn't you become the best you possibly could be at A?

You ask a guy to work on his jumper for months and then still tell him to just use it when absolutely necessary; I dont see that being possible. You will want to show off all that hard work. And he will never, ever be nearly as efficient from there. Ever.

So, I wouldnt make it a huge priority, partly for that reason. I just don't believe you can improve that list without the unintended consequence of having him take it more, like Ewing and Rondo and countless others.

I think variables like learning a new system, playing with new teammates and injuries need to be recognised to gain some context, before you can slot this seasons stats in next to the others and form a critical analysis.

And Lebron is shooting 70% around the rim this year, so even if he returns to his avg, can he not improve even more?

Again, I am not saying to ignore the jumper. But if, out of 10 shots, you take 6 from A, 2 from B, 1 from C, and 1 from D - why wouldn't you become the best you possibly could be at A?

You ask a guy to work on his jumper for months and then still tell him to just use it when absolutely necessary; I dont see that being possible. You will want to show off all that hard work. And he will never, ever be nearly as efficient from there. Ever.

So, I wouldnt make it a huge priority, partly for that reason. I just don't believe you can improve that list without the unintended consequence of having him take it more, like Ewing and Rondo and countless others.
    This argument doesn't hold up because Reke has shown the more he relies on one shot the less efficient he is from there. When he was taking more shots away from the rim his % around the rim ROSE. This has held steady his entire career. Therefor, if you want to make him better around the rim, work on his jumper so he can take and make it, allowing him to get to the rim easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    I think variables like learning a new system, playing with new teammates and injuries need to be recognised to gain some context, before you can slot this seasons stats in next to the others and form a critical analysis.
    All I ever hear is "Tyreke should work on his jumper." It bores me when everyone has the same opinion and it really isnt based on anything but repeating what others say or some very simple logic. I wanted to jump in and explore for myself. I do agree his jumper needs to get better, but people have to realize the unintended consequences of that, because there usually is some.

This argument doesn't hold up because Reke has shown the more he relies on one shot the less efficient he is from there. When he was taking more shots away from the rim his % around the rim ROSE. This has held steady his entire career. Therefor, if you want to make him better around the rim, work on his jumper so he can take and make it, allowing him to get to the rim easier.
    It does? Wasn't he like 1-7 in that 41 point game? I mean, he can take more just to take them and miss more. He can do that now. But I can't imagine that if he went to the hole those 7 times, he would have scored less.

My theory is that his rim% will rise when he has shooters on the floor - as it did this year. He had no illusiion of a jumper and somehow he did great. Just get the Steamer off the floor!!!!

It does? Wasn't he like 1-7 in that 41 point game? I mean, he can take more just to take them and miss more. He can do that now. But I can't imagine that if he went to the hole those 7 times, he would have scored less.

My theory is that his rim% will rise when he has shooters on the floor - as it did this year. He had no illusiion of a jumper and somehow he did great. Just get the Steamer off the floor!!!!
    That's the easy part

I like the article but I think you should probably mention that Rondo played 30 games this year coming off a major injury to return mid season. That could easily affect his shooting/play style as much as if not more than "falling in love with his jumper."

and I agree that Reke could be more efficient at the rim, but I think the easiest way he does this is to pick his spots better and not force it to the rim all the time, I think this is where his "struggles" at the rim come from, not his ability to finish there. If he had a consistent jumper from somewhere on the court at all as a fall back instead of trying to finish through 4 people it would make his game more efficient. I don't think this falling in love with the jumper thing would happen to tyreke, he has said many times that he just feels that he can always beat the guy in front of him that is how he plays. We know he is a great finisher at the rim, we watch him do it all the time, I think the way he gets more efficient at it is not being so predictable/forcing it, and having an improved jumper would very much help that.

When we got him people were talking about him having his most efficient season with the kings was last year when he shot a career best 47.8% and that just so happened to coincide with his career best 3pt shooting %(33.8) and him shooting a career low 11.8 shots a game. He became more efficient by picking his spots I think.

But I am definitely still on the side of him working on his jumper
    never assume

Quote Originally Posted by jgman View Post
    I like the article but I think you should probably mention that Rondo played 30 games this year coming off a major injury to return mid season. That could easily affect his shooting/play style as much as if not more than "falling in love with his jumper."

and I agree that Reke could be more efficient at the rim, but I think the easiest way he does this is to pick his spots better and not force it to the rim all the time, I think this is where his "struggles" at the rim come from, not his ability to finish there. If he had a consistent jumper from somewhere on the court at all as a fall back instead of trying to finish through 4 people it would make his game more efficient. I don't think this falling in love with the jumper thing would happen to tyreke, he has said many times that he just feels that he can always beat the guy in front of him that is how he plays. We know he is a great finisher at the rim, we watch him do it all the time, I think the way he gets more efficient at it is not being so predictable/forcing it, and having an improved jumper would very much help that.

When we got him people were talking about him having his most efficient season with the kings was last year when he shot a career best 47.8% and that just so happened to coincide with his career best 3pt shooting %(33.8) and him shooting a career low 11.8 shots a game. He became more efficient by picking his spots I think.

But I am definitely still on the side of him working on his jumper
    His non 3pt range in 2k14 is off the charts.

You are who you are. I agree that Tyreke should focus on what he is great at doing.

Thread Information