Pelicans Report

Thread: Off-Season Scenarios

Off-Season Scenarios

Ok guys, 2 scenarios. I want to see how you think the Pelicans draft and off-season should go if these were the scenarios. (I'm a little bored)

SCENARIO 1
    We are picked 11th in the lottery, leaving us with no 1st or 2nd round picks. Any pick below 50 is for sale, teams needing SG or SG upgrade interested in Gordon

SCENARIO 2
    Get lucky in the draft and finish with the 3rd pick. Milwaukee went 1, Sacramento went 2 (going by their team needs for who they select.) All teams willing to trade for the pick, teams needing SG or SG upgrade interested in Gordon

I wonder if Dell Demps has a brother we can get into a FO position to trade us his assets.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    Wow I'll consider this

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Busta 40 min later...

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    Busta 40 min later...

LMFAO I just bust out laughing and got slapped by my girl for almost waking my baby smdh

Scenario 1 - Gordon is immovable until 2015 due to his injuries and contract, imo. Need to sign a center (I'm cool with re-signing Jason Smith).

Scenario 2 could be a hope for trading Gordon. Could trade the top 5 player plus Gordon for a pick and/or player. But instead of doing that, we could use the top 5 pick to fill a need, and keep Gordon.
    "If all you're going on is my confession, forget it. I'm simply not credible." -Dale Gribble

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar

Well, maybe waiting isn't in Dell's plan?

It's already that time of year lol

Dell has few things up his sleeve, trick is will be get a chance to execute any of them. Again Detroit comes as the only immediately willing sutor with JSmith but that's just nasty for us. I wonder if Charlotte would be interested in Gordon with their Gordon coming off the books?
    Jrue dat

I'd rather be stuck with Gordon one more year than make a bad deal to get him off the books this summer. Next season around the trade deadline, things should start to get interesting. If Gordon is healthy and playing well (hopefully off the bench), then a deal might present itself. If it doesn't, then at the end of the season Gordon might opt out. If he doesn't opt out, then I think you negotiate a buyout and use the stretch provision MM has outlined for the last year of his deal to create enough cap space in the 2015 offseason to sign a major piece. Taking back a bad contract on a player that doesn't really fit just to be rid of Gordon this summer is a losing play. With all our injuries, next year is really what this year was supposed to be: a chance for the core of the team to gel and learn to play together at a high level. Obviously, we've got a head start on that now and I think next year's team should compete for a playoff spot (assuming relative good health--knock on wood). But it would be a mistake to reach on a player with a bad contract just to do something now, just as it was a mistake to reach on Gordon just to salvage something out of losing CPIII. I hope that's the message Loomis & Co. convey to Dell.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    The Pelicans should pick up a legit starting Center to compliment Anthony Davis. Someone who can run the floor, protect the rim, and not detract from Davis on the offensive side of the ball. Gortat would be perfect in my opinion. If they can pull this off along with resigning Morrow, we have a good looking team. Hopefully Demps gets creative and produces something even better, but this would be cool:

STARTING 5

1 - Jrue
    2 - Evans
    3 - Morrow
    4 - Davis
    5 - Gortat

BENCH
    1 - Rivers
    2 - Gordon
    3 - Babbitt
    4- Anderson, Smith
    5 - Ajinca, Withey
    Last edited by hornetsrebirth; 04-17-2014 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    The Pelicans should pick up a legit starting Center to compliment Anthony Davis. Someone who can run the floor, protect the rim, and not detract from Davis on the offensive side of the ball. Gortat would be perfect in my opinion. If they can pull this off along with resigning Morrow, we have a good looking team. Hopefully Demps gets creative and produces something even better, but this would be cool:

STARTING 5

1 - Jrue
    2 - Evans
    3 - Morrow
    4 - Davis
    5 - Gortat

BENCH
    1 - Rivers
    2 - Gordon
    3 - Babbitt
    4- Anderson, Smith
    5 - Ajinca, Withey
    Morrow and Babbitt aren't SFs.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Morrow and Babbitt aren't SFs.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Both have been used at the 3. Offensively, Morrow is perfect as a catch and shoot wing player and on defense he will be just fine with two good big men defending the paint plus Evans and Jrue defending on the perimeter. As for Luke Babbitt, although he is versitle enough to play the 4 his skill set is best suited for SF. That is his primary position and the reason he was signed.

`We thought having some more depth at our wing spot and there's a chance he can play some four (power forward) because of his ability to shoot the ball,'' Pelicans coach Monty Williams said.
    http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.s...sign_forw.html
    Last edited by hornetsrebirth; 04-17-2014 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    Both have been used at the 3. Offensively, Morrow is perfect as a catch and shoot wing player and on defense he will be just fine with two good big men defending the paint plus Evans and Jrue defending on the perimeter. As for Luke Babbitt, although he is versitle enough to play the 4 his skill set is best suited for SF. That is his primary position and the reason he was signed.

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.s...sign_forw.html
    No. You are wrong. You are talking about taking a guy in Morrow who played 20% of his minutes at SF for us and making him the starting SF. And you are suggesting we take Babbitt a guy who played 6%! of his minutes at SF and making him the backup.

Just because we were forced to played them in small amount at a position doesn't mean they should be starting and backing up that position. Morrow basically played the SF when we went to 3 guard sets and Babbitt isn't even a blip on the radar.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    No. You are wrong. You are talking about taking a guy in Morrow who played 20% of his minutes at SF for us and making him the starting SF. And you are suggesting we take Babbitt a guy who played 6%! of his minutes at SF and making him the backup.

Just because we were forced to played them in small amount at a position doesn't mean they should be starting and backing up that position. Morrow basically played the SF when we went to 3 guard sets and Babbitt isn't even a blip on the radar.
    I just quoted the head coach of the Pelicans saying they signed Babbitt to add depth at the wing position. So I am not wrong about their intention to use Babbitt for depth at the wing position.

Morrow is more of a SG than a SF, that is true. But he has shown the ability to do what would be asked of him in that spot, and I think the chemistry would work well with him in the starting lineup.

I agree the Pelicans are lacking a traditional SF for the starting 5. I guess my point was that they could still field a formidable squad without acquiring one.

Thread Information