Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: More Details Emerge About Ely's contract

More Details Emerge About Ely's contract

So, Ely's contract is a 2 year deal, with the second year being an unguaranteed 1.45 million dollars. The Pelicans could use that as a trade chip, with the other team trading for it and then just cutting Ely with no penalty. It is a sneaky way to make trades work by adding salary to fulfill CBA rules.

If you think Dell just randomly did this, then you don't know Dell by now.

Random example - Swapping Gordon for Amare wouldnt have been legal this summer. Now, add Ely and it is a legal trade without the Knicks really having to add any salary because they can just cut Ely.

Just throwing a random trade out there, but you get the point.
    @mcnamara247

NY has 3 sg no way they take Gordon

Amare or not, it gives us more flexibility to get an expiring next year while helping a team shed their salary next season, but they'd be taking on an extra year in salary

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    I'm diggin' it. Sneaky sneak. Ely likes it cuz he's getting a paycheck for this year

I can't see the Knicks keeping Shumpert, if we ship Gordon to New York than I would suspect Shumpert is on the move.

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    If you read mm statement..he was using amare as an example to how salaries would match up not actual trade lol.

They wanna dump Felton and JR. Shumpert was a guy they shopped too.

Yes it was just an example, but also not completely crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 04-15-2014 at 11:26 PM.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msw2024 View Post
    If you read mm statement..he was using amare as an example to how salaries would match up not actual trade lol.
    COME ON NAH!

I can't say i'm completely at ease with this. But i'll wait to see what dell does, as usual. I'll withhold my judgement till then

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    Smh

This is like when the Mavs signed (a retired) Keith Van Horn and traded him to the Nets for Jason Kidd. It was a good move then, and I think (with these details now) it is a great move for us.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

how much room would we have if we took back JR's contract? I know it'd be tough to work out salary wise but I'd be willing to take him if we could dump Gordon & still had like 8-9 mil to sign someone like Asik in 2015

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    If Dell plans to do something similar to the Amare trade, it's most likely for a big man, maybe an sf also, but however it's used it'll be nifty. This move has "Dealer Dell" written all over it. Guess well have to wait and see.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    So, Ely's contract is a 2 year deal, with the second year being an unguaranteed 1.45 million dollars. The Pelicans could use that as a trade chip, with the other team trading for it and then just cutting Ely with no penalty. It is a sneaky way to make trades work by adding salary to fulfill CBA rules.

Random example - Swapping Gordon for Amare wouldnt have been legal this summer. Now, add Ely and it is a legal trade without the Knicks really having to add any salary because they can just cut Ely.

Very interesting. No risk on that addition to the contract. Thanks for the info.

They wanna dump Felton and JR. Shumpert is hurt and might not be himself for a while. Yes it was just an example, but also not completely crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not saying it's crazy but Felton is a PG and Gordon is always hurt and hasn't been himself in years. So why if they are dumping Shumpert would they want Eric?

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Not saying it's crazy but Felton is a PG and Gordon is always hurt and hasn't been himself in years. So why if they are dumping Shumpert would they want Eric?
    The Zenmaster typically likes to start two SG's. Jordan and Harper, Kobe and Shaw or Harper, etc. Started Fisher because he was just a unique guy, but tried to get SG's and Fisher just outplayed him.

Hey, let's go find another D-Leaguer and release Aminu. Could give us another non-guaranteed trading chip.

I don't know. Picking up a future asset/trade chip while at the same time dumping Stiemsma? Embarrassing if you ask me.

2 year deal?
    Guaranteed for season 2014/15 or do these two games count as his first year?

Sorry dbl post.

Btw he is getting 75k for these 2 games.

This more than anything else I've read gives me hope Gordon is gone this summer. Dell is already priming the roster to try and move him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    This more than anything else I've read gives me hope Gordon is gone this summer. Dell is already priming the roster to try and move him.
    Or it can be a smaller move with contracts needed to make it work. Example - I have heard rumblings that the Grizzlies are interested in Pierre Jackson. Pierre, Ely, and Babbitt for Koufos would work financially. Pierre and Babbitt would not have.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!

I would rather they kept Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by smcgull View Post
    I would rather they kept Gordon.
    Can I ask why?

Thread Information