Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: More Details Emerge About Ely's contract

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Someone earlier suggested JR Smith.... I'd want him no where near this team.

lol example turning into rumour

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    Someone earlier suggested JR Smith.... I'd want him no where near this team.
    Me either. I want an expiring so I can get ready for the summer of '15. If the guy can contribute a tiny bit, cool. If not, I believe in the Core 4 and Morrow, Rivers, Withey, Smith, Ajinca, and one or two solid one year guys being good enough to get us to the playoffs.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Me either. I want an expiring so I can get ready for the summer of '15. If the guy can contribute a tiny bit, cool. If not, I believe in the Core 4 and Morrow, Rivers, Withey, Smith, Ajinca, and one or two solid one year guys being good enough to get us to the playoffs.
    Whether we like it or not, Gordon will be at his most valuable within the next two years (he either expires or he opts out a year early which I doubt). Unless we can land a home run deal, there isnt much reason to move him. He isnt here for that much longer, and if I may ask who are your FA targets if his cap is cleared for the 2015-2016 season? I believe we have a very solid rotation of big men and guards... SF is a HUGE need, but it is our only true need.

2 year deal?
    Guaranteed for season 2014/15 or do these two games count as his first year?

Or it can be a smaller move with contracts needed to make it work. Example - I have heard rumblings that the Grizzlies are interested in Pierre Jackson. Pierre, Ely, and Babbitt for Koufos would work financially. Pierre and Babbitt would not have.
    That works for me too. But I'm still keeping hope alive.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Whether we like it or not, Gordon will be at his most valuable within the next two years (he either expires or he opts out a year early which I doubt). Unless we can land a home run deal, there isnt much reason to move him. He isnt here for that much longer, and if I may ask who are your FA targets if his cap is cleared for the 2015-2016 season? I believe we have a very solid rotation of big men and guards... SF is a HUGE need, but it is our only true need.
    This will answer those questions. If you disagree with any of it, including the targets, let me know

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...ummer-of-2015/

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Can I ask why?
    I just thought he is better than whatever they would get for him.

Quote Originally Posted by smcgull View Post
    I just thought he is better than whatever they would get for him.
    Okay, well the idea is not to necessarily get someone better, but to get him off the roster to open up space and flexibility for free agency in 2015, which is the last summer before AD's max contract hits the books.

And Gordon is not better than many NBA players. Heck, a guy that we got for a minimum contract this summer (Morrow) is a better fit for this team and helps them win more than Gordon does. He won't be missed; not at all. But using his cap room for a Jimmy Butler or Nikola Vucevic, a Jeff Green, Thaddeus Young, Asik, etc. will benefit this team.

IDIT
    "In Dell I Trust"

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    I really hope we can find a way to keep Morrow...

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    I really hope we can find a way to keep Morrow...
    He said last night that he thinks this is a perfect fit for him and he wants to stay. So there's that.

He said last night that he thinks this is a perfect fit for him and he wants to stay. So there's that.
    That's awesome.....is there video of this or do he say this to you?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    That's awesome.....is there video of this or do he say this to you?
    Said it to our camera guy Andrew Smith and one or two other reporters who were around at the time

The Knicks have Tim Hardaway Jr. I dont see one of Phil's first moves being bringing in an overpaid mediocre SG with 2 bad knees. They will be in the market for just about any FA they want in a couple years, why waste so much cap space on Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    The Knicks have Tim Hardaway Jr. I dont see one of Phil's first moves being bringing in an overpaid mediocre SG with 2 bad knees. They will be in the market for just about any FA they want in a couple years, why waste so much cap space on Gordon
    My theory is it would go down like this - Knicks demand from Gordon's agent that if they do the deal that he promises to not pick up the player option on Year 2. Knicks say that if he plays well, they will consider giving him a long term deal.

For Gordon, it makes some sense. Play 1 year in the biggest market or 2 years in relative obscurity for a team that doesn't want you - and maybe opt out anyway after one year.

For Knicks - they cut 9 mil in payroll and get a guy to put next to Hardaway. Remember, Phil likes two SG's in his backcourt. Don't need a PG for the Triangle.

For Pels - get out from Gordon's contract for sure a year early. Amare probably helps more than Gordon on the court too for this season.

Would be contingent on Gordon and his agent making the promise, but if they do, everybody gets what they want.

My theory is it would go down like this - Knicks demand from Gordon's agent that if they do the deal that he promises to not pick up the player option on Year 2. Knicks say that if he plays well, they will consider giving him a long term deal.

For Gordon, it makes some sense. Play 1 year in the biggest market or 2 years in relative obscurity for a team that doesn't want you - and maybe opt out anyway after one year.

For Knicks - they cut 9 mil in payroll and get a guy to put next to Hardaway. Remember, Phil likes two SG's in his backcourt. Don't need a PG for the Triangle.

For Pels - get out from Gordon's contract for sure a year early. Amare probably helps more than Gordon on the court too for this season.

Would be contingent on Gordon and his agent making the promise, but if they do, everybody gets what they want.
    Do you honestly still think Gordon wants out?

Do you honestly still think Gordon wants out?
    I can't think of one reason he would want to be here. Monty makes comments about him without mentioning him specifically quite often (in a bad way), he knows fans and writers want him gone, and there is no role for him here when the team is healthy. I think he would do almost anything for a fresh start, especially in a huge market where he can imagine himself a "hero" for leading them back to the playoffs.

I can't think of one reason he would want to be here. Monty makes comments about him without mentioning him specifically quite often (in a bad way), he knows fans and writers want him gone, and there is no role for him here when the team is healthy. I think he would do almost anything for a fresh start, especially in a huge market where he can imagine himself a "hero" for leading them back to the playoffs.
    Do you know if Ely:

2 year deal?

Maybe this Ely's contract is Dell getting into position to make a move on LBJ! I can dream. . .

Do you know if Ely:

2 year deal?
    these two games are year 1.

Next year is unguaranteed for 1.45. Can trade that as part of a package and then the other team can just let Ely go with no penalties

This will answer those questions. If you disagree with any of it, including the targets, let me know

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...ummer-of-2015/
    I do like your targets in FA, I just have a hard time believing somebody would move an expiring for Gordon. If it were possible to give up a single asset like a Pierre or withey then I would think about it. Not sure that is on the table though.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I do like your targets in FA, I just have a hard time believing somebody would move an expiring for Gordon. If it were possible to give up a single asset like a Pierre or withey then I would think about it. Not sure that is on the table though.
    I wouldn't give up on Withey. I see him as our future starting 5.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    I wouldn't give up on Withey. I see him as our future starting 5.
    What if giving up Withey gives us a current starting 5?

Quote Originally Posted by David Fisher of The Bird Writes
    For instance, Jackson for Kosta Koufos doesn’t work. Neither does Jackson and Babbitt. But Jackson, Ely, and Babbitt does work. In that scenario the Grizzlies cut $2.5M in salary and gain Pierre Jackson on a team that struggles to score. Memphis is probably looking to unload some salary anyway to create flexibility so it’s a win-win possibly.
    MM, I know you're all aboard the Koufos train. Is Koufos entirely unguaranteed for next year? Any chance Memphis was going to cut Koufos anyway, would take Pierre Jackson rather than nothing, and we get to try out Koufos for a year while maintaining flexibility for the 2015 offseason?

Thread Information