Pelicans Report

Thread: PODCAST in the NO - Episode 178

Question PODCAST in the NO - Episode 178

I was listening to last nights BSS pod cast and they were talking about how
    Morrow should be the Pelican's number one priority come the off season.

I think we can all agree.

They then went onto say that if they cannot ship Gordon in the off season there is every possibility River's would need to be traded to sweeten the deal to give Morrow more playing time to get rid of Gordon's contract.

I understand all this, but I would be very disappointed if that was to happen just to get rid of Gordon and to sign Morrow.

What I didn't understand was why they thought that there would be limited opportunity for Austin next season with Evans, Holiday, Morrow and Gordon, but then included P Jackson as part of the rotation.

Why would Jackson or Roberts be considered part of the rotation but not Rivers?

Do they think that River's has more trade value then Roberts & Jackson or do they think that Rivers now deserves to go to another team where he can contribute on a nightly basis?

If both Rivers and Gordon are traded.....does this mean another season of Roberts at the back up PG?

Once Gordon is finally is gone.....Rivers will be a nice addition to this time, he just needs to bide his time.

I just want to hear other people's take on their opinion.

BTW: MM's analogy with GS and chocolate chip cookies is very amusing ( about 37 minutes in)

I think Dell was listening last night.

If Jrue gets 36-38, and Tyreke gets about the same, plus 16-18 for Morrow, how much time does that leave for Austin even if Roberts, Pierre, and Gordon aren't here?

And then if Rivers minutes and production dip because of that next year, is his trade value higher or lower than it is right now, when he still has up to 3 years left on his rookie deal?

If you can get a solid 3 or 5 in a trade where you include Rivers and/or use him to get Gordon outta here, you gotta do it because if your two guards are healthy next year he barely plays. And it's not like those guys are old and he can just wait around.

It's like if OKC still had Westbrook and Harden, would they keep Reggie Jackson or sell high?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @mcnamara247

If Jrue gets 36-38, and Tyreke gets about the same, plus 16-18 for Morrow, how much time does that leave for Austin even if Roberts, Pierre, and Gordon aren't here?
    The answer to this question really depends on how well they fill the hole at SF. You might have Tyreke and Morrow getting SF minutes still. Also, 36-38 seems like heavy minutes, especially if you have half way capable backups. Drop Tyreke and Jrue back to 35 mpg, up Morrow to 20, take 10 minutes from the SF position and you have 16 MPG for Rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    The answer to this question really depends on how well they fill the hole at SF. You might have Tyreke and Morrow getting SF minutes still. Also, 36-38 seems like heavy minutes, especially if you have half way capable backups. Drop Tyreke and Jrue back to 35 mpg, up Morrow to 20, take 10 minutes from the SF position and you have 16 MPG for Rivers.
    I can see that, but even in that scenario, he is on the court with either Tyreke or Jrue the large percentage of time, and then he doesn't have the ball in his hands. If we want an off ball guy, we can find better shooters to fill that role and cheaper.

Ideally, IMO, Rivers is a second unit guard who dominates the ball. Almost like Jamal Crawford, but an attacking version or actually, a 2nd unit version of Tyreke. The type of guy we need for that 2nd unit is a dime a dozen type of guy. So, you move the guy with some value to pick up a position of greater value and you fill that role with any number of minimum guys just sitting around. A guy like CJ Watson, for instance, would be ideal. Plenty of those guys lying around.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Will Jrue and Tyreke get 36-38 minutes though? Jrue was averaging 33.6 minutes per game before going down.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    Will Jrue and Tyreke get 36-38 minutes though? Jrue was averaging 33.6 minutes per game before going down.
    The Thunder play their big guys those kind of minutes and they are the closest to us age wise, so that is what I am assuming. Thats what Monty played CP3 in games that mattered that werent blowouts too. But maybe not. Its definitely what they would play in the playoffs. Again, I wouldnt just trade Rivers to trade him, but if it helps me in other areas or helps me move Gordon, I think I can replace that role very easily

Thread Information