Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: So long, Steimer!

I have a fun Melvin Ely story. I was at the Best Buy in the West Bank in 09 (or maybe 10), and I see this huge guy hanging out by the video games. My instant thought is, he must be a hornets player. Sure enough he was, I found out (not by asking him myself), because some older lady walked up to him and asked, "Do you play for dem hornets?" And he replied "Yes." To which she replied, "oh I'm your biggest fan. Can you get me Chris Paul's autograph."

That woman was his biggest fan, and his smallest fan, and his fattest fan, and his skinniest fan. She was his blackest fan, she was his whitest fan.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    Dell is to blame to begin with. Bringing this guy here and paying him 2.2m is a crime in itself. Pathetic signing by dell considering the amount.
    Dell knew he had to fill the backup C position before the season started, and he exhausted practically all other options before settling on Steamer. And while Steamer has certainly underperformed, he was, cringingly, at the top of the FA list of centers at the time of the signing. 2.2M was high but it was a 1 year contract and it's not uncommon for us to have to overpay FAs. The only thing unclear to me is why Dell didn't go ahead and pick up Ajinca, who would've given us better production on a cheaper contract.
    Last edited by SeaLegs; 04-14-2014 at 05:56 PM.

Obvious troll move by Dell. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaLegs View Post
    Dell knew he had to fill the backup C position before the season started, and he exhausted practically all other options before settling on Steamer. And while Steamer has certainly underperformed, he was, cringingly, at the top of the FA list of centers at the time of the signing. 2.2M was high but it was a 1 year contract and it's not uncommon for us to have to overpay FAs. The only thing unclear to me is why Dell didn't go ahead and pick up Ajinca, who would've given us better production on a cheaper contract.
    Lol..2.2m was def over paying and we do not have to over pay to bring guys of his lack of caliber here. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Monty said that he thought Stiemsma gave him the best chance to win games.

THAT is the scary part.

Dell's primary objective is to make sure there are no Stiemsma-like players on this roster next year because Monty just can't help himself
    Geez, if that's the case, why won't Demps and the front office just can the guy if he really can't help himself?

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans78 View Post
    Geez, if that's the case, why won't Demps and the front office just can the guy if he really can't help himself?
    Because he does a lot of things well. Every coach has a weakness. Dell knows Monty's and he can control it. Just don't sign a stiff.
    @mcnamara247

Melvin Ely still plays?

thank god

Thanks for pointing out the Ely retirement plan. I hate unexplained mysteries.....
    One thing that should help attract players to the Pelicans is the classy way that (in general) both the Pelicans and the Saints treat veteran players. I'm sure there are exceptions, but in general the Pelicans have improved the stock of most of the veterans they have put through their program. We have been a great farm team for guys like Jarrett, Marco, and others. I'm not sure how this will affect Stiemsma's image around the league, but the fact he got so many minutes and a decent salary from us should be thought of as a gift.
    I love the momentous tweet, and use that expression often. Maybe he just bought a house.....
    I share in the joy of not worrying about his particular carcass being on the team next year. I agree that we need to keep Monty's hands off any other "veteran players who do the little things". Unfortunately that means Jason Smith needs to go. Stiemsma is actually a more efficient player than Smith, although Smith is eminently more useful on defense in my opinion.

Whats sad it that Ely is getting paid 75,000 to play 2 games.......$75,000.

Not bad to retire with.

LOL, Stiemsma third from last in the league offensively...

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rp...e/11/sort/ORPM

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Whats sad it that Ely is getting paid 75,000 to play 2 games.......$75,000.

Not bad to retire with.
    Where did you see that? At league minimum, he would only get about $25k or less for the two games.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Where did you see that? At league minimum, he would only get about $25k or less for the two games.
    Hoopshype.com - pelicans salaries.
    Its also mentioned in the nola.com article today.

Thread Information