Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: MIP?

I think it's hardest to make the jump from very good to great. A decent amount players are garbage early in their careers and emerge later, but how many players make the jump from above-average starter to superstar? I'm not sure exactly, but it feels like we see way more headcases who are bad-mediocre contribute later in their careers, but very few above-average players become superstars. I guess it would come down to someone quantifying which leap is harder to make, to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by MeSoHornets504 View Post
    I think it's hardest to make the jump from very good to great. A decent amount players are garbage early in their careers and emerge later, but how many players make the jump from above-average starter to superstar? I'm not sure exactly, but it feels like we see way more headcases who are bad-mediocre contribute later in their careers, but very few above-average players become superstars. I guess it would come down to someone quantifying which leap is harder to make, to be sure.
    And, I would add, less expected. I think this award will be hard for AD to win because it was expected that he would get here. But nobody expected Boris Diaw or David West to become fringe All-Stars, so they were #1 and 2 in voting back in the day. Next year, Monta Ellis was a 2nd round pick, In fact, most guys who win the award are mid to late 1st rounders or 2nd rounders. Kevin Love the only top 5 pick from last 20 years to win it
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Why isn't somebody like LBJ eligible? Didn't he raise his fg% for the third year in a row? What about Blake Griffin. He has a well rounded game now. He improved his overall game. Why is this award relegated to mediocre players only?
    I read somewhere that Lebron is second only behind Kyle Korver on catch and shoot three point percentage. Remember when the biggest knock on his game was when he couldn't shoot? #MIP (joking but seriously pretty crazy)

Quote Originally Posted by MeSoHornets504 View Post
    I agree 100%. I just remember around the time Anthony Davis was coming into the NBA their were a lot of people saying that he was over hyped and pointing out all the flaws in his game. After 2 years in the NBA its pretty safe to assume that he silenced all the critics. To me that's the one of the biggest reasons that he should win MIP. Sure people said he was going to be a superstar. . .eventually. But how many people (everyone here included) could honestly say that they expected Anthony Davis to be playing at this Level this early on in his career. He should win MIP purely from the amount of records he broke or set this season. its not fair that since he was the number 1 pick people are saying they expected it because no one expected it, at least this soon.

Banned
    http://espn.go.com/nba/notebook/_/pa...mproved-player

Look at that. I guess I'm not THAT dumb. P

We are undefeated without Steamer on the team this year. Just saying.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    And, I would add, less expected. I think this award will be hard for AD to win because it was expected that he would get here. But nobody expected Boris Diaw or David West to become fringe All-Stars, so they were #1 and 2 in voting back in the day. Next year, Monta Ellis was a 2nd round pick, In fact, most guys who win the award are mid to late 1st rounders or 2nd rounders. Kevin Love the only top 5 pick from last 20 years to win it
    I know jalen rose got it too and he was a lotto pick I'm pretty sure.(not top 5 I know) so, I don't think it's impossible for Davis to get it, but I doubt he does. I think dragic or Stephenson gets it.
    Last edited by kclaboy504; 04-17-2014 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noggy View Post
    http://espn.go.com/nba/notebook/_/pa...mproved-player

Look at that. I guess I'm not THAT dumb. P
    Lol..we will see. I mean I sure hope he gets it.

Banned
    I mean, I doubt he will get it too... but when considering MIP, one has to take into account "strength of schedule" so to say. To go from someone who can't play basketball to being able to play basketball is more of a %age improvement over what AD did, but how many people have improved to his level, EVER? How many have done it this quickly?

Is the answer none? Because I think it's pretty damn close to none.

Quote Originally Posted by Noggy View Post
    I mean, I doubt he will get it too... but when considering MIP, one has to take into account "strength of schedule" so to say. To go from someone who can't play basketball to being able to play basketball is more of a %age improvement over what AD did, but how many people have improved to his level, EVER? How many have done it this quickly?

Is the answer none? Because I think it's pretty damn close to none.
    I agree

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    Lol..we will see. I mean I sure hope he gets it.
    Would be unprecedented. First overall pick has never won it. Kinda conflicted on whether I want him to. It is kind of a backhanded compliment IMO.

The chief

Thread Information