Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MIP?

Banned

NBA MIP?

Who is the most improved player this year in the league?

Dragic or Davis?

I don't really consider 2nd or 3rd year players for MIP. As most players usually are improving the most between those years. However Davis was so productive it does seem like he deserves to be rewarded for it. He was an All-Star this year I think that's great acknowledgement.

gerald green

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanFever View Post
    gerald green
    It crazy Phoenix has about 4 or 5 guys that are legit candidates.

I would vote for Gerald Green too
    @mcnamara247

I would say Gerald Green. He went from being a burden to being a good player. Davis and Dragic were already very good players imo; they deserve to be mentioned because they have had fantastic years.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    To me, Green is the most deserving. And also probably what the spirit of the award is aiming for. He improved from being a worthless something or other to being a nice weapon 30 teams would wanna have. Us included.

It makes me so happy to see that our fanbase is objective enough to want an award for the player they feel is most deserving over their favorite player.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

I'd def give it to green. I like Stephenson next in line in 2nd place. A close 2nd as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    It makes me so happy to see that our fanbase is objective enough to want an award for the player they feel is most deserving over their favorite player.
    I will say, part of that is that I don't think anybody really likes or respects that award. Kind of an insult to AD, honestly.

Let's see how impartial we are when we are discussing MVP, DPOY, All-NBA in the future.

Banned
    I understand the spirit of the award, but AD's growth has been so disgustingly crazy, that you just have to give it to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Noggy View Post
    I understand the spirit of the award, but AD's growth has been so disgustingly crazy, that you just have to give it to him.
    From last year to this year, he became a far better mid range shooter and increased his free throw rate. Block percentage rose quite a bit too. But rebound % is about the same, as is his effective field goal percentage. I mean, yes, he improved but that is not the question. It is whether he improved more than every other player in the league. He went from very good to great.

Green, meanwhile, was terrible last season and made an almost unheard of jump for a player at this stage in their career. You are talking about a guy who went from a TS% of .465 to .585. That is insane. Increased his points per game by 230%. Went from a 29% shooter from mid-range to a 40% shooter. From 31% from three to 40%. On corner three's, he went from 29% to 46%.

I mean, the guy just became a totally different player well after his improvement years were supposed to be behind him. Guys are supposed to improve from year 1 to year 2. What AD did was expected; what Green did is extrememly rare.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    From last year to this year, he became a far better mid range shooter and increased his free throw rate. Block percentage rose quite a bit too. But rebound % is about the same, as is his effective field goal percentage. I mean, yes, he improved but that is not the question. It is whether he improved more than every other player in the league. He went from very good to great.

Green, meanwhile, was terrible last season and made an almost unheard of jump for a player at this stage in their career. You are talking about a guy who went from a TS% of .465 to .585. That is insane. Increased his points per game by 230%. Went from a 29% shooter from mid-range to a 40% shooter. From 31% from three to 40%. On corner three's, he went from 29% to 46%.

I mean, the guy just became a totally different player well after his improvement years were supposed to be behind him. Guys are supposed to improve from year 1 to year 2. What AD did was expected; what Green did is extrememly rare.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Noggy View Post
    Who is the most improved player this year in the league?

Dragic or Davis?
    Davis won't even be in the running for this award anyways. It'll come down to dragic, Stephenson and maybe Bledsoe. Davis name won't even be mentioned as a finalist when it comes time. This is reserved more for guys in the league for a few years now and that come as a bit of a surprise or unexpectedly.

Banned
    I think Deandre Jordan did really well this year too.

I will say, part of that is that I don't think anybody really likes or respects that award. Kind of an insult to AD, honestly.

Let's see how impartial we are when we are discussing MVP, DPOY, All-NBA in the future.
    You mean he isn't winning all 3 this year?

I'm going to get my pitchfork.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

He will get them all at some point in his career. Probably multiple times. I say, 2016-17 will be the first year it is a real possibility

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He will get them all at some point in his career. Probably multiple times. I say, 2016-17 will be the first year it is a real possibility

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In the same year? Has that ever been done?

Banned
    I disagree about Green. Improved for sure, but he hasn't had some remarkable turnaround, he is just getting more minutes. I'll give you he is playing better, but his numbers still aren't that great and he's had comparable numbers to these before. He could score before, but was erratic. He is less erratic now, but his PER is still not great and he averages <4 rebs and <2 asts. I'd give it to Dragic, Stephenson and Davis before Green easily. To me his numbers are a product of more playing time more than him being vastly improved.

Quote Originally Posted by saintsinNO View Post
    I disagree about Green. Improved for sure, but he hasn't had some remarkable turnaround, he is just getting more minutes. I'll give you he is playing better, but his numbers still aren't that great and he's had comparable numbers to these before. He could score before, but was erratic. He is less erratic now, but his PER is still not great and he averages <4 rebs and <2 asts. I'd give it to Dragic, Stephenson and Davis before Green easily. To me his numbers are a product of more playing time more than him being vastly improved.
    That is just not factually true. I pointed out specific shooting numbers that had nothing to do with playing time. The efficiency went through the roof too. And he is starting now. People always say a guy who scores off the bench is somewhat counterfit because he is playing against backups. Well, Green went from playing against backups to playing against starters AND made that leap.

His scoring is up 230%, while his minutes are up less than 80%, so the numbers simply do not support your argument. He is only taking 1.4 shots more per 36 minutes, yet he is averaging 6 more points. Stop for a minute and let that sink in. That is an insane increase in efficiency, again, against superior players than he was playing against as a bench player for the Pacers.

Going from 1 point per shot to over 1.3 points per shot is a remarkable uptick, and nobody else in the MIP conversation has done anything close to that.

Banned

MIP?

That is just not factually true. I pointed out specific shooting numbers that had nothing to do with playing time. The efficiency went through the roof too. And he is starting now. People always say a guy who scores off the bench is somewhat counterfit because he is playing against backups. Well, Green went from playing against backups to playing against starters AND made that leap.

His scoring is up 230%, while his minutes are up less than 80%, so the numbers simply do not support your argument. He is only taking 1.4 shots more per 36 minutes, yet he is averaging 6 more points. Stop for a minute and let that sink in. That is an insane increase in efficiency, again, against superior players than he was playing against as a bench player for the Pacers.

Going from 1 point per shot to over 1.3 points per shot is a remarkable uptick, and nobody else in the MIP conversation has done anything close to that.
    It is factually true:

This year:
    16/3.4/1.5 while shooting 45% from the field and 40% from three in 29 minutes.

2011-12:
    13/3.5/1.1 while shooting 48% from the field and 39% from three in 25 minutes.

I understand you have your opinion and want to point to last year and advanced stats with Indy but he simply did not play as much because he was behind better players. He also played garbage minutes. He isn't some new great player, he is somewhat improved and getting more minutes in a different system.

Several other players in the running for MIP have way more improvement in way more important areas and play more important roles to their teams. Green is ok, but would not get my vote for MIP over several other players. It sounds flashy to say he is up 230% but look at the whole picture and who the guy has been as a player, he's been not far from this before. Just because Phoenix had a decent year doesn't make him something more. You're comparing garbage time numbers on a great team to starter numbers on an average/good team; that is the most significant reason for the increases, not Green himself.
    Last edited by saintsinNO; 04-14-2014 at 12:31 AM.

I don't see how Dragic is an obvious candidate considering his assists number remarkably fell.. and i don't think Lance Stephensons number jumped enough to be considered most improved...

Quote Originally Posted by saintsinNO View Post
    It is factually true:

This year:
    16/3.4/1.5 while shooting 45% from the field and 40% from three in 29 minutes.

2011-12:
    13/3.5/1.1 while shooting 48% from the field and 39% from three in 25 minutes.

I understand you have your opinion and want to point to last year and advanced stats with Indy but he simply did not play as much because he was behind better players. He also played garbage minutes. He isn't some new great player, he is somewhat improved and getting more minutes in a different system.

Several other players in the running for MIP have way more improvement in way more important areas and play more important roles to their teams. Green is ok, but would not get my vote for MIP over several other players. It sounds flashy to say he is up 230% but look at the whole picture and who the guy has been as a player, he's been not far from this before. Just because Phoenix had a decent year doesn't make him something more. You're comparing garbage time numbers on a great team to starter numbers on an average/good team; that is the most significant reason for the increases, not Green himself.
    So, you just skip a whole season to make your point?

It is most improved player from last season. Yes, he had a decent 31 game stretch the year before when he was picked up by a Nets team that was out of the hunt and gave him license to chuck off the bench. But that was a meaningless 31 games that proved nothing and LAST YEAR he was terrible. He is the most improved player from last year to this year.

Banned

MIP?

So, you just skip a whole season to make your point?

It is most improved player from last season. Yes, he had a decent 31 game stretch the year before when he was picked up by a Nets team that was out of the hunt and gave him license to chuck off the bench. But that was a meaningless 31 games that proved nothing and LAST YEAR he was terrible. He is the most improved player from last year to this year.
    Skip a whole year to make my point? No, you obviously didn't read my point. I didn't say he had those numbers last year. I said he's had comparable numbers to these before when he was given a comparable amount of playing time, which, as per your request, is shown to be factually accurate. That illustrates, not a guy who is some drastically improved player worthy of an award, but a guy who, again, was given the opportunity to play and was, again, a decent player (although I did say he is improved). Sorry if you don't see it that way but don't twist what I said. I supported it with facts like you asked and that's my opinion on it. He didn't play last year because he was on a great team. He has this year and has decent numbers, just like when he was with the Nets. Fact.

I know he's not playing as good as many of the names mentioned, hell any of the names mentined, but Austin Rivers has to be considered among the top most improved players if all you are doing is gauging a players performance this season vs. last season. How could he not?

Thread Information