Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Game Thread: Pels @ Jazz

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    So why is Steamer getting Witheys minuets?

How did Davis get hurt? Was it just a flare up?
    just a flare up

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    That shot was everything but down.

Great effort at least.

And it's mostly me.
    And me

Great effort at least.
    That was a nice play there by Monty

I really hope we make Morrow our number one priority in the off season for resigning players.
    He's fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBREED View Post
    A roster filled with 10 unathletic players and only 2 atheletic players in Anthony Davis and Chief Aminu, Aminu having a very low IQ.
    The Pels needs Rucker Park type help or a Butch Peirre type of assistant to help evaluate talent to fill on this roster.

Wheeling N dealing as a GM trading or signing players on this roster who can't even think basic 101 basketball or can't even move their feet to run 'their' offense, let along defend, is just wasting pure basketball fans time and money as ticket holders. There's nothing wrong with having slow foot'd scrappy basketball players. But not a roster filled with'm. Plus the few atheletic players on the roster have low IQs. Thank God for Anthony Davis, who plays in rhythm passing, receiving the pass, defending, rebounding and driving to goal. I actually see Brian Roberts being off rhythm passing the ball on the off foot, which also hinders his pickNroll assist numbers or basic operation of running the pickNroll.
    95% of the Pels does not pass the ball in rhythm or when the player should get the ball being in rhythm.

Aminu is a PF, he shouldn't be allow to play on the wing! Not even as a stretch4!
    Babbitt can't shoot, why is he here?! That roster spot could've been for a young atheletic defender to be developed. Lord knows we need one on this team filled with slow Monty Williams type of ball players.

Lol, we get rid of JuJu and acquire Aminu.
    Talk about jumping out the frying pan into the skillet
    we have the ultimate Rucker Park player in Tyreke, and a bunch of athletic players...

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    we have the ultimate Rucker Park player in Tyreke, and a bunch of athletic players...
    That's why I've been saying that Reke is not the answer. Rucker Park basketball won't win any championships.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Great effort at least.

And it's mostly me.
    I was here but stopped posting. My momma said if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    That's why I've been saying that Reke is not the answer. Rucker Park basketball won't win any championships.
    Not if that's the thing you feature heaviest, no. It can't. Too much risk and inconsistency.

Luckily, a healthy team would mitigate Reke's style with more conventional players around him. I mean that last play vs the Jazz is exactly what Reke is capable of providing. Only replace Miller, who has played well, with Jrue or Ryno or even Gordon.

Is Reke flawed? Yep. But I consider him our number 4 player when healthy. Go find me a couple number 4's that are better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @mcnamara247

I have Tyreke behind Jrue and ahead of Anderson, but I think Anderson can perform with or without a good supporting cast, which is why he's good coming off the bench. Tyreke seems to play better with a good supporting cast and worse without.

Why all these excuses? First he needs Ryan to create spacing then a litany of excuses and ifs. So does RA need Evans to shoot a three?

Evans is an open court player with a drive and shoot first mentality. He is a volume shooter which inflates his stats. He has to play in a run and gun style to be effective or create a pace with his own rebound and break.
    I believe he should play the one on offense and three on defense.

He has the skills to be like Magic if he develops a set shoot, a basketball IQ and become team oriented. All big IFs.

I think he's a great match with Jrue, and if I remember correctly, they did play great together. Jrue seems to play pretty well off the ball so you could have Tyreke at the 1 and Jrue at the 2 on offense, then switch on defense. It's really just a matter of getting rid of Gordon to open up that 2 spot for Tyreke.

I don't think Anderson needs Tyreke, although it could help. He was shooting a career high in 3pt % as well as points per 36 minutes until he got hurt. I think Evans needs Anderson more than the other way around because it opens up the paint, but when the paint is open... Evans is nearly unguardable. As bad as he played coming off the bench this year... he did average 19/7/6 on 46% in the last 7 games Ryan Anderson was healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post
    I think he's a great match with Jrue, and if I remember correctly, they did play great together. Jrue seems to play pretty well off the ball so you could have Tyreke at the 1 and Jrue at the 2 on offense, then switch on defense. It's really just a matter of getting rid of Gordon to open up that 2 spot for Tyreke.

I don't think Anderson needs Tyreke, although it could help. He was shooting a career high in 3pt % as well as points per 36 minutes until he got hurt. I think Evans needs Anderson more than the other way around because it opens up the paint, but when the paint is open... Evans is nearly unguardable. As bad as he played coming off the bench this year... he did average 19/7/6 on 46% in the last 7 games Ryan Anderson was healthy.
    Don't get caught up in those stats. Tyreke's game won't translate in the playoffs. Ask yourself this. What happens during playoff basketball? I'll tell you. The games slow down (less fast breaks, more half court sets), the lane tightens up, and the defense has multiple games to exploit your short comings. Tyreke will not be as productive in the playoffs. I'll also say the same for Ryno. He's not getting those open looks in the playoffs. He is very limited in getting his own shot. He's deadly when wide open but off the dribble and creating not so much. The Pels core is good if getting to the playoffs is the goal but if championship is the goal, we need to swap out some cast members. This team needs a big, a dynamic SF, and an SG that can shoot.

Don't get caught up in those stats. Tyreke's game won't translate in the playoffs. Ask yourself this. What happens during playoff basketball? I'll tell you. The games slow down (less fast breaks, more half court sets), the lane tightens up, and the defense has multiple games to exploit your short comings. Tyreke will not be as productive in the playoffs. I'll also say the same for Ryno. He's not getting those open looks in the playoffs. He is very limited in getting his own shot. He's deadly when wide open but off the dribble and creating not so much. The Pels core is good if getting to the playoffs is the goal but if championship is the goal, we need to swap out some cast members. This team needs a big, a dynamic SF, and an SG that can shoot.
    I don't agree. If we put 5 players on the court with the threat of making a shot, Tyreke and Anderson are deadly. What makes it hard on Tyreke is the fact that when he plays, other defense only have to worry about 2 or 3 players max. With Steamer and Aminu/Ajinca in the lineup, we are basically playing 3 on 5 for offense.

So you're telling me, if we run out with Jrue, Tyreke, Morrow, Anderson, and Davis. That they'd be able to shutdown the perimeter and the tyreke drive to the rim? I fully expect AD to start hitting the corner three next year, so we'd have the floor so wide open, it's going to be ridiculous the amount of space Tyreke will operate with.

Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    I don't agree. If we put 5 players on the court with the threat of making a shot, Tyreke and Anderson are deadly. What makes it hard on Tyreke is the fact that when he plays, other defense only have to worry about 2 or 3 players max. With Steamer and Aminu/Ajinca in the lineup, we are basically playing 3 on 5 for offense.

So you're telling me, if we run out with Jrue, Tyreke, Morrow, Anderson, and Davis. That they'd be able to shutdown the perimeter and the tyreke drive to the rim? I fully expect AD to start hitting the corner three next year, so we'd have the floor so wide open, it's going to be ridiculous the amount of space Tyreke will operate with.
    Every great team has five guys who are able to score in multiple ways and can elevate their game in the playoffs. They have no weaknesses whatsoever and are not dependant on anybody else. If we don't have five studs, we will fail in the playoffs. Just the facts.

Sounds like Rondo will really have trouble if he ever gets to this playoff stage.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Every great team has five guys who are able to score in multiple ways and can elevate their game in the playoffs. They have no weaknesses whatsoever and are not dependant on anybody else. If we don't have five studs, we will fail in the playoffs. Just the facts.
    You don't need 5 studs (I'm assuming sarcasm here). You do however need at least 2. At last count we are 1 short. But if we take a look at championship teams, they have at least 2 studs if not more.

Heat = LBJ, D-Wade, Bosh
    Spurs = Duncan, Parker, D. Robinson
    Lakers = Shaquille, Kobe
    Lakers = Kobe, Gasol
    Rockets = Hakeem, Drexler
    Bulls = Jordan, Pippen

So forth and so on. The one exception is the Pistons and they had one of the best x's and o's coaches in the game. We don't have that.

A roster full of b & c players will get it done in college and high school. That is not the case in the pros. This teams needs another stud player. If you (pelicans report) want to believe that this roster minus Gordon plus an mle level wing player is championship bound, be my guest. I'll believe it when I see it.

Sounds like Rondo will really have trouble if he ever gets to this playoff stage.
    Rondo played with two studs when they won it all.

I see:

No "studs" in San Antonio. Two 'B+' players and a great system.
    One stud in Miami, one "B+, one B
    No studs in Indy. 1 B+, 2 B's, and a B-
    Two studs in OKC
    Two studs in LA
    Two studs in Houston

And I would say those are the 6 that can win a title. I would put Ryno and Tyreke against any of those teams 3rd and 4th best players. So, yes, Jrue has to continue his ascent and/or they need to add a 5th that make them like the Pistons but with a superstar or the Mavs when they had Dirk, one superstar and a handful of really good players.

Both those things are doable.

I always ask people this, to understand how hard it is to win a title, since people say we should build towards that or nothing.

Pick three teams.

You can be handed the GM position right now of any team and you have to win as many titles, games, divisions, etc. as possible over the next 12 years. What franchises would you pick over this one?

Rondo played with two studs when they won it all.
    How about his best playoff year, the one when Garnett went down?

Point is, a guy with a limited offensive game can still be very good in the playoffs. I think Reke is a bigger Rondo. Team can use him like that when they have talent and not garbage on the floor with him.

I see:

No "studs" in San Antonio. Two 'B+' players and a great system.
    One stud in Miami, one "B+, one B
    No studs in Indy. 1 B+, 2 B's, and a B-
    Two studs in OKC
    Two studs in LA
    Two studs in Houston

And I would say those are the 6 that can win a title. I would put Ryno and Tyreke against any of those teams 3rd and 4th best players. So, yes, Jrue has to continue his ascent and/or they need to add a 5th that make them like the Pistons but with a superstar or the Mavs when they had Dirk, one superstar and a handful of really good players.

Both those things are doable.

I always ask people this, to understand how hard it is to win a title, since people say we should build towards that or nothing.

Pick three teams.

You can be handed the GM position right now of any team and you have to win as many titles, games, divisions, etc. as possible over the next 12 years. What franchises would you pick over this one?
    Something like only 9 different championship teams in like 30 years. I remember reading some crazy stat like that.

Hall of Fame players on a roster with Pop as coach will always be better than the average stud roster team!

Bottom line, the Spurs have Greats on it roster. Hall of Game players!
    Last edited by BIGBREED; 04-05-2014 at 09:13 PM.

There are flops
    Potential
    Good
    Greats
    Studs
    Star
    Box office
    Elite
    Hall of Fame
    Greats(the best/Greatest at his position)

FYI
    Michael Mac, don't let Miami's pop'ish Spurs take on resting his vet be your down fall bro. DWade is no where a B+ player. They are resting his knees. The NBA still can't defend him! Look at the game with in the game brother.

Great info from u as always but rethink your views on your last post visuals

You need players and a great system. We have one or the other.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Thread Information