Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Dell Should Wait for 2015

Let's go after Durant in 2016

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    The Pelicans should sign Gordon Hayward this offseason, even if it takes a max deal. We would have the core locked in for years.

1- Jrue
    2- Evans
    3- Hayward

There wouldn't be much cap space to sign anyone else until Eric Gordon's contract comes off the books, but Smith/Withey/Ajinca can hold down the frontcourt with Anderson and Davis.
    Last edited by hornetsrebirth; 05-14-2014 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    The Pelicans should sign Gordon Hayward this offseason, even if it takes a max deal. We would have the core locked in for years.

1- Jrue
    2- Evans
    3- Hayward

There wouldn't be much cap space to sign anyone else until Eric Gordon's contract comes off the books, but Smith/Withey/Ajinca can hold down the frontcourt with Anderson and Davis.
    And how do your propose they get enough cap room to offer him a max deal?
    @mcnamara247

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    The front office will have to do something creative to make this team into a contender. A max deal might be a pipe dream, but they need to make some kind of significant move this offseason. Either improve the team via trade or find a diamond in the rough, or both. I don't like the idea of doing nothing and basically throwing in the towel for a season, pinning the team's hopes that someone will take Gordon off our hands next year.

The front office will have to do something creative to make this team into a contender. A max deal might be a pipe dream, but they need to make some kind of significant move this offseason. Either improve the team via trade or find a diamond in the rough, or both. I don't like the idea of doing nothing and basically throwing in the towel for a season, pinning the team's hopes that someone will take Gordon off our hands next year.
    Thats fine. But things don't just magically happen. You said you want to give Hayward a max deal (which the Jazz would just match, but let's assume we can get him for the max in that scenario). That means you have to somehow cut about 8 million dollars in salary. Again, how could they do that?

The easy part is saying. "Our team should just go sign X player." The hard part is deal with the realities of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Thats fine. But things don't just magically happen. You said you want to give Hayward a max deal (which the Jazz would just match, but let's assume we can get him for the max in that scenario). That means you have to somehow cut about 8 million dollars in salary. Again, how could they do that?

The easy part is saying. "Our team should just go sign X player." The hard part is deal with the realities of the situation.
    While I think the guy above is just spouting stuff and I don't really agree at all, I do know a way of clearing up just over 10M a year. . .just saying. Might not like it and might prefer not to but if we set our mind to get a 15M/yr player no matter what, we could do it without giving up an asset.

The past 2 years we've basically completely rebuilt the team from the ground up. Exactly how many years do you expect to add major pieces? At some point we have to stop major turnover and start letting players gel. And btw, or two significant moves will be getting a healthy Jrue and Anderson for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    While I think the guy above is just spouting stuff and I don't really agree at all, I do know a way of clearing up just over 10M a year. . .just saying. Might not like it and might prefer not to but if we set our mind to get a 15M/yr player no matter what, we could do it without giving up an asset.
    Clearing 10M?
    I assume not resigning Smith, Aminu, Steimsma, Miller, Roberts, Southerland, ,Babbitt and Ely?

More than anything our team needs time to gel. We come on this message board a lot thinking and discussing with one another new ways of how the team can improve, but what we tend to leave out is the chemistry side of it. If you look at the successful teams in the playoffs all of them have played with one another for 2+ seasons. Now, to say this team doesn't need upgrades at certain positions would be absurd. However, I truly believe that the most important component to our team's future success is gaining chemistry on the court. I like our Core 4 (I prefer to say Finishing 5) just the way it is plus Ammo, Rivers, Miller and the team's nice set of bigs we have coming off the bench. This summer will be critical for the team, but I'm sure Monty and Dell will work it out.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Clearing 10M?
    I assume not resigning Smith, Aminu, Steimsma, Miller, Roberts, Southerland, ,Babbitt and Ely?
    Nope - that still only brings us to 6.5 mil in cap space, Would need another 8 mil to hand Hayward a max contract.
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 05-15-2014 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Clearing 10M?
    No. Stretching Gordon.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    No. Stretching Gordon.

That would clear about 9 mil, but if you do that, he is dead money for 5 years. That is brutal. Just to get another ball needy, defensively challenged wing player? I would throw up

sorry for the off-topic question but can anyone tell me the time of the lottery? Can only find the date.

Its gonna depend on the dates of the Playoff games that day, which havent been determined yet. Usually, 8PM EST for the pre show, 8:30 for the lottery announcement
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 05-15-2014 at 10:37 AM.

Nope - that still only brings us to 6.5 mil in cap space, Would need another 8 mil to hand Hayward a max contract.
    Ew, I don't get the Hayward love.

cheers MM

Quote Originally Posted by thiefinthenight View Post
    Ew, I don't get the Hayward love.
    He is a fine player, but I dont see the fit for this team. I think some people still associate a players worth with how many points he scores or stats he gets in general. This team needs role players - guys who can impact the game without the ball in their hand. They dont need more guys with usage rates in the 20's. I know those are generally the "big names" and the guys people see in highlights, but those are not the guys this team needs.

That would clear about 9 mil, but if you do that, he is dead money for 5 years. That is brutal. Just to get another ball needy, defensively challenged wing player? I would throw up
    That wasn't the point. I simply said there was a way if we really wanted to sign a 15m/yr player and we could do it without giving up an asset . It would clear up about 9.5m BEFORE he signs with someone else. I honestly feel like realistically it would be about 4m dead money for 5 years. Yes bad, but if it means we can make a playoff run. I do it. 5 years sounds bad but it isn't.

Think about it, if we stretch him this year that's 5 years. If we stretch him next year that's 3 years but actually the dead money only leaves 1 year early. So in my mind, sign Deng this year and it is only 1 extra year of dead money and realistically about 4m once he signs elsewhere. Is it worth it? I think there's an argument to be made for it.

He is a fine player, but I dont see the fit for this team. I think some people still associate a players worth with how many points he scores or stats he gets in general. This team needs role players - guys who can impact the game without the ball in their hand. They dont need more guys with usage rates in the 20's. I know those are generally the "big names" and the guys people see in highlights, but those are not the guys this team needs.
    Hayward shouldn't have a usage that high but was forced into it due to the Jazz roster this season. He is also not worth anything near a max contract. I think he would be a good fit because he does a lot of things well, and is good at moving off the ball and spot-up shooting. He is also not a bad defensive player (rotates properly and doesn't gamble).

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    Hayward shouldn't have a usage that high but was forced into it due to the Jazz roster this season. He is also not worth anything near a max contract. I think he would be a good fit because he does a lot of things well, and is good at moving off the ball and spot-up shooting. He is also not a bad defensive player (rotates properly and doesn't gamble).
    I agree that Hayward is probably a good #3, but he was forced into that role through bad coaching not a lack of talent.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I agree that Hayward is probably a good #3, but he was forced into that role through bad coaching not a lack of talent.
    Oh yeah, I forgot that Tyrone Corbin was a very stubborn coach. Still, the only other play-maker I see on the team is the rookie Trey Burke. Alec Burks came on later in the season but I don't remember him creating much for the team.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    I think we have enough high usage guys. Jrue, Gordon, Reke, Anderson, Davis, Rivers, and Roberts had all 20+ usage rates last season. Morrow had a 19 usage rate. Obviously you could look at Gordon and Roberts possibly not being here next season or beyond. But that still leaves us with five high usage players. Among the teams still currently in the playoffs they have four on average.

Now we need to add the Marco Belinellis, Kawhi Leonards, and Tiago Splitters of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    Thank you. I couldn't believe what I was reading. Wanting to throw a max at him?? Gtfoh I'd be seriously depressed.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    I think we have enough high usage guys. Jrue, Gordon, Reke, Anderson, Davis, Rivers, and Roberts had all 20+ usage rates last season. Morrow had a 19 usage rate. Obviously you could look at Gordon and Roberts possibly not being here next season or beyond. But that still leaves us with five high usage players. Among the teams still currently in the playoffs they have four on average.

Now we need to add the Marco Belinellis, Kawhi Leonards, and Tiago Splitters of the world.
    In an ideal situation, Hayward would fit right into those roles. He doesn't need to have a high usage rate to be an effective player. I just think he will demand more money than we would be willing to give. I expect him to get right around 9-10 million a year from someone.

The Jazz will match any contract for Hayward. He is loved in Utah, for reasons that go beyond basketball.

Thread Information