Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Dell Should Wait for 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Monty hasn't exactly been a stellar coach (losing record for 3 straight seasons with regular late game collapses) and Benson isn't getting younger.
    What does that have to do with the future? This team is young and was going to be a multi year project. Our best player is 21. Next year we aren't competing for a title. People getting upset, or saying we need to be competing aren't being realistic.

I honestly think if we aren't completely ridden with injury that we'd be in the playoffs, ahead of the suns. But trying to hold a team accountable for their season after all the injuries we've had is silly.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Martin is already there. Two small SG's (Gordon height, Martin weight) who can score but don't provide much else. Don't see the fit. They need a rim protector and a PG who can actually shoot
    So what about Martin/Barea/Turiaf for Gordon ? It may be not their biggest need, but it would be a positive message send to Love and their fanbase.

Quote Originally Posted by Blattman View Post
    So what about Martin/Barea/Turiaf for Gordon ? It may be not their biggest need, but it would be a positive message send to Love and their fanbase.
    I actually proposed a trade last off-season with the Wolves involving Gordon.

IMO the only time we could have done a deal with the Wolves involving Gordon was last off-season unfortunately. Because this was before a) they signed Martin for almost a 1/3 the price p/year and b) Gordon stop looking like a potential perennial All-Star just bugged by unfortunate injuries. Now they have Martin which as a floor spacer may be more valuable than Gordon in a starting line up. While Eric has almost an entire year of film looking quite pedestrian. Plus of course ending the season injured as usual.

Another reason why I thought the Wolves were a great trade partner a year ago was they had a bunch of moderate salary guys they were looking to get rid of at the time which made it worth the gamble to absorb Gordon's contract. Those players (Derrick Williams, Andrea Kirilenko, and Luke Ridnour) or all gone now. The only other player that fits that label is JJ Barea an his contract isn't enough.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 04-10-2014 at 11:01 AM.

Martin is simply better than Gordon. I don't know how that would inspire the fan base.

Fans of any team getting Gordon would be upset IMO. This isn't the dark ages anymore where fans just get excited over "a name". Fans are more educated than ever. They know Gordon is one of the worst contracts in the league, is injury prone, and isn't all that good anymore.

I mean, contracts aside, I would take Anthony Morrow over Eric Gordon straight up and Morrow probably only makes 2-3 million next year. That Gordon contract is terrible, and the player isn't very good even without the contract. The only message that would send to Love and their fanbase is that they are an incompetent front office.
    @mcnamara247

Only deal I think another team would consider:

If Bulls miss out on Melo- Boozer for Gordon and Rivers.

Rose and Gordon are friends. Thibs would love Rivers and they wanna bring Mirotic over.

I like Rivers, but I do that one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Martin is simply better than Gordon. I don't know how that would inspire the fan base.

Fans of any team getting Gordon would be upset IMO. This isn't the dark ages anymore where fans just get excited over "a name". Fans are more educated than ever. They know Gordon is one of the worst contracts in the league, is injury prone, and isn't all that good anymore.

I mean, contracts aside, I would take Anthony Morrow over Eric Gordon straight up and Morrow probably only makes 2-3 million next year. That Gordon contract is terrible, and the player isn't very good even without the contract. The only message that would send to Love and their fanbase is that they are an incompetent front office.
    +1 lol...

Rose and Gordon are friends. Thibs would love Rivers and they wanna bring Mirotic over.

Man that's tempting. It really is. I see the potential in rivers tho. He is getting better and better. He was beyond raw when he got here last year. I think he has a very high ceiling and will be a handful in 3-4 years.

As much as I'd hate to lose Rivers, yeah. Id do that one.

I like Rivers too, just don't know how much time he gets on a team with Jrue and Evans. If it meant getting a big fish in 2015, I can part with Rivers. Anything to get rid of Gordon. And I think Boozer can help a bit for that one year.

I like Rivers too, just don't know how much time he gets on a team with Jrue and Evans. If it meant getting a big fish in 2015, I can part with Rivers. Anything to get rid of Gordon. And I think Boozer can help a bit for that one year.
    I think he could be great in a 6th man role for us and an instant spark on offense while locking down defense. But yeah, moving him means we'd clear over 18M in cap for 2015. It would depend what contracts we sign but we'd potentially be able to offer the max to some guys.

Roberts, Aminu, Smith all on 1 year deals and see where we are at the end of 2015.

He's younger (same age as Love) and he attacks more the basket than Martin. It's a different skill set and one that the wolves could use. Of course Martin is better right now, but it wouldn't be interesting if the pelicans add Martin and Budinger or Mbah a Moute into the trade. Yeah not my best idea, but with the Love's situation I'm pretty sure there's some interesting trade to do with the wolves.

Yeah. I'm sure the available guys have already been hashed out at the beginning of this thread, but you could potentially get the starting SF and C we need in 2015 FA. I'd certainly give up Gordon and any of our C assets to land Asik and Jeff Green. That changes the complexion of this team tremendously. Then the controversey becomes Anderson vs. Asik for playing time, which is a much better conversation to be having than Withey vs. Stiemsma and Rivers vs. Roberts.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...dering-Amnesty

Bulls looking to trade Boozer before amnesty...

If they strike out on Melo do you think they would consider Gordon for Boozer? Get that extra year of salary off our books... he grew up playing AAU with Rose & they could use some offensive help. Jimmy Butler is a natural 3 trying to fill the void thats been left at SG for as long as I can remember in Chicago
    Last edited by AD23nEG10; 04-30-2014 at 01:17 PM.

The thing with Boozer for Gordon is it doesn't get them under the cap really. They still would only have the MLE. And they have to sign Mirotic and the rumors are that he wants more than the MLE.

Maybe Gordon for Boozer and Dunleavy would give them some space but still not enough. Could be a facilitator where we get Boozer, the Bulls get some space and Team X gets Gordon with some draft picks from us and Chicago for taking him on (looking at you Charlotte)

Or maybe Gordon and Rivers for Boozer if they can convince Mirotic to take the MLE. WOuld be a pretty nice team if they can keep that guard combo healthy. Good luck with that!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    and Benson isn't getting younger.
    But then again, who is?

I'm starting to lean Utah. Even if they max Hayward they'll still have $30 million in cap space and they won't be FA destination for anyone besides Hayward. The question is, has Demps gotten to the point where he's ready to pay to move Gordon. You follow Utah pretty closely MM, do you think they'd bite on a Gordon + sweeteners for Kanter package? Maybe throw in Babbit, Ajinca or Withey, and a 2015 1st?

I think the Jazz like Burks a ton and can have him for 1/7th the price of Gordon, so no I dont think they would have any interest.

Here is my criteria for a Gordon trade: Ask yourself if you like the player(s) coming back in the trade. If you do, the trade isn't realistic.

It's pretty much that simple to me.

Yes, other teams have cap room, but just because you have money, it doesn't mean you have to spend it on junk. Utah could take on bad contracts for picks like they did last year. They could get a few guys on smaller deals too. All the teams know that Gordon is a bottom 5 contract in the NBA. You aren't getting anything in return, even if you throw in marginal players or a pick.

There's report about the bobcats having interest for Nelson and Afflalo, so they may also have interest in Gordon ? I mean he could contribute on this team and he could work well with Jefferson.

Since he seems out of the Clifford's plan, Biyombo could be available, of course he's an undersized center with no offensive game, but at least he could provide rebounding and shot protection for 15-20 minutes and he's still pretty young. I don't know if the pelicans could do this but a Gordon for Henderson/Biyombo/Morrow sign-and-trade could be interesting for both team.

There's report about the bobcats having interest for Nelson and Afflalo, so they may also have interest in Gordon ? I mean he could contribute on this team and he could work well with Jefferson.

Since he seems out of the Clifford's plan, Biyombo could be available, of course he's an undersized center with no offensive game, but at least he could provide rebounding and shot protection for 15-20 minutes and he's still pretty young. I don't know if the pelicans could do this but a Gordon for Henderson/Biyombo/Morrow sign-and-trade could be interesting for both team.
    If the Hornets have interest in Nelson it's as a veteran PG off the bench, not sure how that would spell interest in Gordon. As for Arron he has been a far more superior player this season on both sides of the ball to Eric so again I fail to see why they would be interested in Eric. This isn't getting into Eric's contract.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 05-01-2014 at 08:59 AM.

I think the Jazz like Burks a ton and can have him for 1/7th the price of Gordon, so no I dont think they would have any interest.
    I was thinking more Gordon at SG and Hayward at SF.

Utah could take on bad contracts for picks like they did last year. They could get a few guys on smaller deals too.
    They are in the middle of a rebuild and in theory have 4, maybe 5 future starters already in place depending who they draft and how they feel about Kanter. They'll definitely be eating a bad contract. I'm sure eating 2 is not their goal, but who's really young enough and good enough to be worth paying a lot to get? Maybe giving Hawes $10-$12 million if they don't believe in Kanter? That's still just the tip of the iceberg as far as cap space goes. Unless there is a Jrue Holiday type trade out there for them, they won't have many good options with that much cap space after just bottoming out.

If you have a good, young, up and coming team - do you want to bring in Gordon?

I think if we honestly answer that question, we will see they would have no interest in him. They took on good guys with expiring bad contracts last year and got picks for that. I could see something similar and/or signing cheaper role players with a good attitude, willing to help young guys. You add someone like Gordon and tha takes the ball out of Trey Burke's or Hayward's hand. And if you don't, then what? You are paying Gordon 15 mil to stand around and be a spot up shooter?

And BTW, I was referring to Alec Burks at 1/7th the price; a shooting guard. I think they like him more than Gordon for the reasons listed.

If you have a good, young, up and coming team - do you want to bring in Gordon?
    Did they "want" to bring in Jefferson and Biedrins? It's not about what they want, it's about making the most of their cap space, 90% of which they are required to use. I was overestimating their cap space though, HoopsHype wasn't showing Favors $13 million extension kicking in next year but I just noticed that on Sham Sports. So they don't have the ability to take on 2 bad contracts or sign a Hawes and take a bad contract. Less money to burn = less interest in Gordon unfortunately.

And like I said, they brought in good character guys who did not take the ball out of their young players' hands. That is FAR different from bringing in Eric Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    If the Hornets have interest in Nelson it's as a veteran PG off the bench, not sure how that would spell interest in Gordon. As for Arron he has been a far more superior player this season on both sides of the ball to Eric so again I fail to see why they would be interested in Eric. This isn't getting into Eric's contract.
    I agree, the only thing where Gordon has an advantage is his age because he's 3 years younger than Afflalo. But what if the magic find a better offers elsewhere ? I'm pretty sure that there would be strong interest for Afflalo, given his past year. I'm pretty sure the hornets will still be looking to add player to improve and Gordon could at least work.
    Last edited by Blattman; 05-01-2014 at 11:38 AM.

I agree, the only thing where Gordon has an advantage is his age because he's 3 years younger than Afflalo. But what if the magic find a better offers elsewhere ? I'm pretty sure that there would be strong interest for Afflalo, given his past year. I'm pretty sure the hornets will still be looking to add player to improve and Gordon could at least work.
    Hey we can hope right? It's that damn contract that keeps killing all the positives that may attract people to Eric IMO.

On a side note it's already weird referring to another team as the Hornets.

Thread Information