Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Dell Should Wait for 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Davisistheman View Post
    Why are people still beating the "Trade Eric Gordon" horse? That was the plan, If they could have move'd him thay would have. They rolled the dice on matching his max deal from the Suns (which I don't necessarilly fault them for when looking at it with out the "Hindsight 20/20 glasses" but they crapped out. I'm sure they will keep offering him but clearly no one wants that contract, and rightfully so.

Is there a scenerio where he plays out next season and is just cut before opting in for the 2015-2016 season?

Anyway IMO trading him is just pie-in-the-sky.
    Nobody is talking about moving him for value. The goal is an expiring. You don't think the Knicks at least consider trading Tyson or Amare for him?

I think there are some teams that would prefer a useful player on a two yr deal over a guy they have no use for on a one year deal. Ariza and Okafor for Rashard Lewis ring a bell?

That's all the Pels have to do- trade his two year deal, that is possibly only one more year for a one year deal. Do that and it sets this whole plan into motion.

Or make him miserable so he opts out. Really, I am good with either route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @mcnamara247

I wouldn't mind signing Jermaine O'Neal on a 1 yr deal in the meantime. Guys playing some good basketball in GS

Actually Bargnani makes some sense to for the Knicks. Maybe a Bargnani and Felton for Gordon deal would appeal to them. I know they wanna dump Felton. Phil likes shooting guards in the backcourt. Could see him and Shumpert there with Hardaway off the bench.

For us, we get an expiring in Bargs that is insurance for Ryno and maybe you can flip Felton for a rotation frontcourt player. Worst case scenario is Felton opts in for 2015, but you still save $11 mil compared to what Gordon would cost you. Would have plenty to go get one of those guys on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Nobody is talking about moving him for value. The goal is an expiring. You don't think the Knicks at least consider trading Tyson or Amare for him?

I think there are some teams that would prefer a useful player on a two yr deal over a guy they have no use for on a one year deal. Ariza and Okafor for Rashard Lewis ring a bell?

That's all the Pels have to do- trade his two year deal, that is possibly only one more year for a one year deal. Do that and it sets this whole plan into motion.

You may know more than me on this, but I really feel like that was the plan going into this season. Get Holiday, Evans and give Gordon away for nothing of an expiring. Last year they tried to move him (im speculating) and teams balked because of his injury. This season Gordons healthy, playing nice ball (I know not up to his $$) so dell figures I can surely move him for nothing, but teams still are not interested. I just don't get the sense that teams are eger to pick up his tab.

How much value do you think is lost with Gordon missing the final 8 games vs him coming back and getting around 70 games in this season? Don't you think if he was going to be out the rest of the season they would have announced it by now? Of course we all know how long it took for Jrue and Ry results. Personally idc if it is the last three games he comes back I think he should come back for rep and value sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Davisistheman View Post
    You may know more than me on this, but I really feel like that was the plan going into this season. Get Holiday, Evans and give Gordon away for nothing of an expiring. Last year they tried to move him (im speculating) and teams balked because of his injury. This season Gordons healthy, playing nice ball (I know not up to his $$) so dell figures I can surely move him for nothing, but teams still are not interested. I just don't get the sense that teams are eger to pick up his tab.
    To be honest we don't know what was offered for Gordon at the trade deadline. It could be that teams were interested in him but they were asking for too much back with him or wanting us to take back longer/bad/long bad contracts which is what we are trying to dump.

The other benefit is keeping him this year means teams aren't paying him for a guaranteed 2 years and possibly a 3rd. This summer we will be moving him as a "possible" expiring and at longest 2 years. It could very well be that Dell is trying to balance when to move him for the least hit/best return versus having to get rid of him before we give AD his max.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    To be honest we don't know what was offered for Gordon at the trade deadline. It could be that teams were interested in him but they were asking for too much back with him or wanting us to take back longer/bad/long bad contracts which is what we are trying to dump.

The other benefit is keeping him this year means teams aren't paying him for a guaranteed 2 years and possibly a 3rd. This summer we will be moving him as a "possible" expiring and at longest 2 years. It could very well be that Dell is trying to balance when to move him for the least hit/best return versus having to get rid of him before we give AD his max.
    Which is why I said I was speculating.

The only thing we know is 1) The team Has/Had an interest in trading Gordon, and 2) Gordon is still on the team.

I think lost in the shuffle of all this is the development of AD.

If they choose to wait 2 years to make a move to help this team, AD will be a completely different animal by that time to use as recruitment bait for free agents.

I would hope Demps' seat is a little cooler than Monty's. I'm not convinced parting ways with Monty isn't an important piece to the puzzle of taking this team where we all desire.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    With the recent talk about trying to go for Tyson Chandler, I'm all for that too btw, but how would a theoretical trade with Gordon help the Knicks? Would it? Especially with Jackson in charge now. Would Gordon fit in with the Triangle? Could he be Phil Jackson's "Kobe-lite"? And the opposite, does Tyson fit the triangle? From what little I know about it, doesn't it require good big passers? WOuld they want to move Tyson away because he doesn't fit? Who else would we need to include to make the trade more tasty? Acquiring Chandler would probably require releasing oe of our current bigs. Who do you let go? Are any of them good for the Triangle offense?

Sorry, whole bunch of question. Bored sitting here watching the Knicks/Nets game.:P

Quote Originally Posted by msw2024 View Post
    I like the idea, but IMO dell and Monty try to keep their jobs instead of waiting for 2015.
    My thoughts exactly
    SIGN A SF

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    If Kawhi Leonard is a max player, almost everyone in the NBA is seriously underpaid
    A very, very select few players are better than Leonard.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMash View Post

If you waive a player does their salary still count against the cap?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    If you waive a player does their salary still count against the cap?
    If it's guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    If it's guaranteed.
    Does a player option count as guaranteed?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Does a player option count as guaranteed?
    If he signs the option it does.

Can't tell if serious or not.

If by very few you mean 20-30, then I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

Good point. Start Reke next year bring EG off the bench. That alone would probably upset him to the point he will opt out in order to be a starter elsewhere

What's the message to Davis if you bring Gordon off the bench in your scenario?

Quote Originally Posted by durun View Post
    "Hey AD, we want to win so we're not going to give as many minutes to the cancer that makes this team worse. Cool?"
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

The message of putting the best players in the starting lineup. lol Gordon isn't a good fit to the roster. He can still be a valuable guy on another team, but it just doesn't work here.

Stats show Davis plays better with Gordon than Evans. The Davis and Gordon combo is greater. Check yourself.

Stats show Davis plays better with Gordon than Evans. The Davis and Gordon combo is greater. Check yourself.
    You should provide stats when you make claims like that.

Here is what I gathered. The eye test tells me if Evans and Daivs spent 30 minutes on the court together, they'd be better than the Gordon/Davis combo. The real key is the Jrue/Evans combo is significantly better than Jrue and Gordon. Not to mention the team is significantly better when Gordon doesn't play.

Lineup GP Min FGM FGA FG% 3FGM 3pFGA 3FG% FTM FTA FT% OREB DREB REB AST TOV STL BLK BLKA PF PTS +/-
    Davis/Gordon 55 27.7 22.3 47.5 47% 3.0 7.8 39% 10.5 13.3 79% 6.1 17 23 12.7 8.1 5 4 3.4 12.9 58.2 -2.5
    Davis/Evans 59 19.1 15 32 47% 2.1 6 34.9% 8.2 10.2 79.6% 4.2 11.9 16 8.3 5.3 3.2 2.8 2.4 8.8 40.2 -1.3

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    This is false. Team is better offensively and defensively with Davis/Evans as opposed to Davis/Gordon. About a 2.4 difference net rating.

Thread Information