Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Game Thread: New Orleans Pelicans vs Sacramento Kings - 3/31/14

Quote Originally Posted by kingsnbucs1987 View Post
    I don't know why Monty didn't just put Evans at SF and have Morrow play the 2, it'd be a hard guard for Evans, but at least the floor is spread and Evans can check Gay a decent bit, Aminu and Miller, didn't really stop Gay at all.
    He focused too much on guarding Cuz but the thing is no one can guard him. A lot of teams let cuz get his numbers and shutdown everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Yeah, there was just no energy on our part. Good game for y'all though. Cousins is a monster.

Meh. His energy was non-existent. I'll give him a pass because he's been really shouldering the load as of late, but it was a down game no matter how you slice it.
    If Boogie keeps his head on straight, the battles between him and Davis are gonna be so good.

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    He focused too much on guarding Cuz but the thing is no one can guard him. A lot of teams let cuz get his numbers and shutdown everyone else.
    That's usually how teams deal with my Kings, most of the time it works.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsnbucs1987 View Post
    If Boogie keeps his head on straight, the battles between him and Davis are gonna be so good.
    BIG "if" haha

Rivers, Morrow, and Withey with really good games. AD does his thing even if he was off. Tyreke was trapped in a bad lineup and they just crowded the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Rivers, Morrow, and Withey with really good games. AD does his thing even if he was off. Tyreke was trapped in a bad lineup and they just crowded the paint.
    That's the main reason that I'm not a fan of Reke's game. His game is dependent on others and his skill set is easily nullified by packing the paint. When the playoffs get here, every team is going to pack it in and le him shoot brick after brick. I can't see a deep playoff run with Reke as the starting SG.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Game Thread: New Orleans Pelicans vs Sacramento Kings - 3/31/14

So how many guys can dominate regardless of who else is on the floor?

5?
    10?

Can't have 4 of those guys. And teams can't defend Reke like that with Jrue, Ryno, AD, and another shooter on the floor anyway, so I am not exactly in a rush to get rid of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    That's the main reason that I'm not a fan of Reke's game. His game is dependent on others and his skill set is easily nullified by packing the paint. When the playoffs get here, every team is going to pack it in and le him shoot brick after brick. I can't see a deep playoff run with Reke as the starting SG.
    Good thing he will be the lead guard and not SG and be the one passing to AD, Ryno, Jrue, and our 3&D SF.

You can't judge a guy when he is literally playing with only 1 guy who would be a major contributor in any playoff run we make (AD). He still shot just under 50% for the game, he just didn't have as many assists and rebounds as normal - maybe because we played Withey extended minutes who cleaned up the glass and Austin had 9 assists tonight. For the month of March he is giving us 21-7-6, those are LBJ type numbers. He has an insane Assist % of 30% this year which has him 17th in the league. The Only other non PG ahead of him - LBJ. Reke might not be a superstar like LBJ but he can be fine as the 3rd/4th option and facilitator for others. He is a true triple double threat every night.

In this nightmare scenario of yours where other team game plan around stopping Evans I have no concerns if we are healthy because that just leaves our wings wide open. Pack the paint and let Jrue, Ryno, and our SF kill them. Please. I'd much rather they spend their time trying to stop him than worry about our real Superstar in AD.

how about withey tho, 8pts, 7rbs, and 5blks! to go along with a steal and going 4/4 from the field
    never assume

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    So how many guys can dominate regardless of who else is on the floor?

5?
    10?

Can't have 4 of those guys. And teams can't defend Reke like that with Jrue, Ryno, AD, and another shooter on the floor anyway, so I am not exactly in a rush to get rid of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I didn't say to get rid of him. I'm just not sold on Reke. I go to the majority of the games and what I see is a guy that has a goto move that consists of putting his head down, get in the lane, and throw up a circus shot. That won't get it done in a playoff series. I think Reke was a terrible acquisition.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Good thing he will be the lead guard and not SG and be the one passing to AD, Ryno, Jrue, and our 3&D SF.

You can't judge a guy when he is literally playing with only 1 guy who would be a major contributor in any playoff run we make (AD). He still shot just under 50% for the game, he just didn't have as many assists and rebounds as normal - maybe because we played Withey extended minutes who cleaned up the glass and Austin had 9 assists tonight. For the month of March he is giving us 21-7-6, those are LBJ type numbers. He has an insane Assist % of 30% this year which has him 17th in the league. The Only other non PG ahead of him - LBJ. Reke might not be a superstar like LBJ but he can be fine as the 3rd/4th option and facilitator for others. He is a true triple double threat every night.

In this nightmare scenario of yours where other team game plan around stopping Evans I have no concerns if we are healthy because that just leaves our wings wide open. Pack the paint and let Jrue, Ryno, and our SF kill them. Please. I'd much rather they spend their time trying to stop him than worry about our real Superstar in AD.
    If Gordon was playing with these same guys and had a bad game, the board would be roasting him. I also appreciate the tear that he's been on but these games are meaningless. Teams are coasting into the playoffs/offseason. IMO, the only plus to the winning streak is the cohesion that seams to be forming. As far as packing the paint is concerned, the only player that may kill an opponent is Ryno. Jrue or AD wont shoot anybody out of the lane. Teams did it to LBJ and Rondo so don't tell me that they wouldn't do it to Reke. Both of those guys are much better players than Reke. Last point. Reke is a turnover machine. I'd hate for my main ball handler to turn it over as much as Reke does.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    If Gordon was playing with these same guys and had a bad game, the board would be roasting him. I also appreciate the tear that he's been on but these games are meaningless. Teams are coasting into the playoffs/offseason. IMO, the only plus to the winning streak is the cohesion that seams to be forming. As far as packing the paint is concerned, the only player that may kill an opponent is Ryno. Jrue or AD wont shoot anybody out of the lane. Teams did it to LBJ and Rondo so don't tell me that they wouldn't do it to Reke. Both of those guys are much better players than Reke. Last point. Reke is a turnover machine. I'd hate for my main ball handler to turn it over as much as Reke does.
    Has Gordon ever strung together a series of games like Reke has? Has he ever had a season here like Reke is having? No. There's a drastic difference between comparing the two. Besides, like I said Reke didn't even have a "bad" game. He gave us 15-2-4-2 in 25 minutes of play. That's 11+ minutes less than he's been getting as a starter. When I made the comment I thought he had played his usual starter minutes. I was wrong. Give him his 11 minutes back and I think he'd have been right at his starter averages. And that's with the team "game planning to pack the paint".

As far as AD and Jrue not shooting people out of the lane: AD is 43% from 10-16ft. Jrue is 46% from 10-16, 42% from 16-3pt, and 39% from 3pt out. He's also a great spot up shooter. If teams want to pack the paint and leave those 3 open to shoot I'm more than happy to allow it. Combined with a SF and we are golden.

LBJ and Rondo are both multi-year all-stars. LBJ is the best player in the league and Rondo, especially now, is the best player on his team. You gameplan around trying to stop them. If a team wants to gameplan around stopping our 3rd/4th best player - PLEASE! Ignore the guy who is 4th in the league in PER, leads it in blocks, and is averaging better than 20-10 for the season. Ignore the stretch 4 who's deadly at the 3pt line, leads the league in FT%, and gives you 20-8 a game. And please, ignore the other guard who has nearly a 40% assist rate, who was an All-Star, who has a TS% of 50%, and shoots 39% from 3pt. They're not that good, focus on stopping Evans.

I honestly just think the starting 5 for the Kings were just too good tonight. Our bench played some nice basketball, but our starters just played ISO, and that's extremely easy to stop when you have predictable players like Evans, Roberts, Rivers, and AD.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Cousins is just the wrong kinda player for us to stop at AD and Withey's current levels of development. Withey played the best D on Cousins of anyone, but Cousin's sheer bulk wore Withey down late.

Unless you can get Cousins frustrated early on and take him out of the game mentally, he'll eat us alive. Just too much size and skill to stop one on one. And we don't have the defenders to properly rotate. Aminu and Tyreke aren't smart enough (I like Reke, but the guy ain't a mental juggernaut in his own right. He's just blessed with great reflexes.) AD is but he's only one person.

Jrue is smart and athletic enough, but he's only just now rejoining the team on the bench.

That rookie PG had the game of his life. We didn't see that coming... nobody did not even he did. That's why we lost.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    That rookie PG had the game of his life. We didn't see that coming... nobody did not even he did. That's why we lost.
    Yeah exactly. But I'm not upset because we had the Clippers game so all is fair.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Silly me. Forgot about Reggie Evans. I was wondering what the heck did Reke do to deserve a fine.

Aww darn. I should've included the first name. Sorry. I'll add it.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGirl View Post
    That was a serious shot he gave AD. Even if it wasn't intentional it looked bad. Hope AD doesn't have any lingering concussion symptoms because he took one.

If Withey can give us 75% of Asik then he will be perfect for this team. When you compare their first season stats it's really remarkable how close they are. The biggest differences seem to be Withey is far better at the FT line and on offense in general and Asik is better on the offensive glass by quite a bit and slightly better on the defensive glass. If I had to guess it is because Asik has about 20 pounds on Withey and Withey hasn't learned how to box out on offense and keep people out of the paint as well yet.

Asik got about 2 more minutes a game his rookie year but Withey has a better PER, TS%, eFG%. Basically Withey is far better offensive already than Asik has ever been. It's hard to rate just how much worse he is defensively however because as a team we play bad defense while Asik played for the Bulls his first two years. Once Asik went to the Rockets his DRtg is only about 3-4 points better than Withey. While Withey's offensive rating is 13 points higher than Asik's has best ever. Withey also has a far lower TO% (like 10% lower) and slightly better Block %. All while having an extremely low usage %.

Withey seems to know what his role is/will be and is trying hard to do that. Give me an entire summer to hopefully get him up by 7-10 pounds and work on his rebounding/boxing out and he will be good to go. Will he ever be starter level? I don't know about that, but if he puts in the work he can be a good backup C and be a guy we can use against bigger Centers. Can he play 40% of the center minutes while Davis plays the other 60%? Yeah I think that could be his peak and would save us quite a bit of headache in FA.

Withey is a twig compared to Asik

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    Withey is a twig compared to Asik
    20 pounds difference. As I mentioned in the previous post. I don't know what Asik came into the league weighing though. I don't think it's impossible Withey can add 20 pounds though. 15 I think is very realistic at least. 7 and 7 over the next two summers.

Thread Information