Pelicans Report

Thread: Aminu's last stand!

Aminu's last stand!

I've repped him this far, might as well throw this out. Our team will center around AD as we all know.

That being said, Aminu seems like the perfect back-up to the guy

as of late
    9.6 pts 7.3 reb shooting 55% from the field

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    I've repped him this far, might as well throw this out. Our team will center around AD as we all know.

That being said, Aminu seems like the perfect back-up to the guy

as of late
    9.6 pts 7.3 reb shooting 55% from the field
    Aminu's time here is over. He'll be encouraged to seek the best deal he can get elsewhere. The Pels will do their best to get Jason Smith resigned and go all in for a starting quality SF in the off season. Not much else will change on this roster saves for getting healthy.

Aminu's hatred comes from him being a starter. Personally if he wants to keep getting paid what he is now or less, I bring him back as a backup. The way our cap is right now it won't really matter if we sign him or not. We still have basically our MLE and Bi-Annual to get players. He can be just fine as an energy guy off the bench just like Jason Smith.

Now depending on if Gordon is traded and for what, that would change my stance. But we still need at least 2 SFs on the team and I don't think Miller is even a backup option unless he develops like crazy over the summer.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Unless AFA wants to take a permanent backup role, can't wait to see him in another jersey next year

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Aminu's hatred comes from him being a starter. Personally if he wants to keep getting paid what he is now or less, I bring him back as a backup. The way our cap is right now it won't really matter if we sign him or not. We still have basically our MLE and Bi-Annual to get players. He can be just fine as an energy guy off the bench just like Jason Smith.

Now depending on if Gordon is traded and for what, that would change my stance. But we still need at least 2 SFs on the team and I don't think Miller is even a backup option unless he develops like crazy over the summer.
    Good post. +1

I hope to never see him in a Pelican jersey again
    SIGN A SF

I hope he returns. Of course we all want multi-dimensional players, but in the real world, they are just not available all the time.

Aminu provides things we need as a team.

How anyone still wants aminu on this team is beyond me. All I can say to those people is YOU GOT IT...YOU GOT IT BAD...(usher)

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Unless AFA wants to take a permanent backup role, can't wait to see him in another jersey next year

+1....although I'd rather him not even as a backup on this team. The chief experiment has to be over. We've given him plenty of time to develop into something that resembles a consistent contributor and not a detriment while on the court.
    Last edited by kclaboy504; 03-31-2014 at 12:10 PM.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    It's all about the Benjamins, baby. You can't give up on a guy like him yet unless you need his roster spot or the money to really improve the team and as someone pointed out it's highly unlikely he will prevent that from happening.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Al Farouq is probably a top 3 rebounding small forward in the league and though he's been miscast as a stopper, his defense is still a plus. If we re-signed him for cheap and he would NEVER start again I'd be fine with him back.
    @DanielVeuleman

I certainly don't hate Al Farouq, but it should be obvious to anyone who's been watching that his game isn't going to develop much beyond what it is now. He clearly has a place on this league, but it's just not on a team desperate for production at the SF position like the Pelicans. He and the Pelicans need a fresh start.

I don't understand people saying they would be okay with him but in a limited role. To me Aminu's positives lie in his ability to improve in two areas; focus and jump shot. He is super athletic, he has improved in other areas, but he makes dumb mistakes, misses rotations, has bad turnovers, and still can't make a shot if it's not a dunk. He has real upside potential, and he manages to put together short bursts where he teases us into seeing what he could do. But at some point you have to be able to cut bait and accept the loss. If he were to come back as a small ball power forward and our fifth big I'd be okay with it. He is an elite rebounder, and as I've stated, if he gets a jumper or focus, can be a very positive player for our team but if Monty is back next year do you think he will play Aminu at the four or will Monty be hard headed and committed to 90s ball and play Aminu at the three? Will he still play Aminu and Evans next to each other? If George Karl or Mike Diantoni were coaching this team I'd want him back because I'd have faith that he would be utilized differently.
    I also think people are looking at Aminu in the NBA 2K player numbers system instead of how he fits on the team and the team's needs. The team needs a player on the wing who can defend, shoot threes, and rebound. Aminu can do one and a half of those. Sometimes he is a good defender, rarely he hits threes. He is nearly always a good rebounder. But he kills the other players on the floor by not being able to shoot or by blowing rotations. This kind of player could haunt you later on with by going somewhere else and suddenly figuring it out and making us look dumb but I'd take my chance on that. Time to cut bait on the sunken cost of Aminu.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

I say he's gone. We already have a back-up bigs in Ryan Anderson, Whitley, and Frenchy. Let's use the cap we have left to surround our core of Evans, Holiday, and AD with a bunch of 3 pt shooting wings to space the floor like what the heat, thunder, and spurs do.

For those that want Aminu gone. What is your solution to the backup SF role? Miller? Evans? Personally I want Evans at the 1 or 2. Miller I don't see as a backup level of talent unless he improves quite a bit over the summer. With the amount of money we have to use, I think Aminu is about as good as we can get as a backup.

Remember, it's all about the cap. We are roughly 5M under the cap if we drop Jason Smith and Aminu. So would you rather Smith, Aminu, the MLE (5m/yr up to 4 years), and the biannual or no Smith or Aminu, 5M in cap space, the RLE (2.5m/yr up to 2 years), and the biannual?

Assuming we give the Biannual to Morrow to keep him (which is fair and I'm all for it), I just see more value in keeping Smith and Aminu and having the MLE to sign a starting SF then trying to use 5M in cap space and the RLE to get a starting level SF, a backup SF, and letting Smith walk.

In a perfect world you have enough cap to sign two quality SFs so you don't have to worry about keeping him. Unfortunately we are not in a perfect world. Now if we can clear some dead cap space, oh I dunno. . .someonenamedericgordonwhosucks. . .then by all means. Open season. I turn into a buyer and other teams are like, "Hide yo Centers, hide yo Small Forwards cuz they trying to buy everyone round here." I'm calling up Gortat and Ariza, then dropping the RLE on Jordan Hamilton and sitting back and LAUGHING. Now you see why I give up a first rounder to get rid of *him*.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    You don't get 10 starters on a team. Give Aminu a limited role (10 minutes at backup 3, maybe 3 to 5 at the backup 4) and he's a solid backup. Expectations of greater development are making people hate Aminu more than he probably deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post

You really don't think Miller could be a serviceable back up. After what he has shown us these past couple of games. I don't think he would be that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludiculous View Post
    You really don't think Miller could be a serviceable back up. After what he has shown us these past couple of games. I don't think he would be that bad.
    I'm a huge fan of Miller as a person and honestly I WISH he was our backup SF. But no. I don't think he's shown nearly enough to even warrant a spot on the team next year. For the month of March he's averaged 15mpg. In those 15 minutes he's given us: 4ppg, .7rb, .3 assists, .1 block, and 1.5PFs.

He'll always have a spot in my heart because of that Clipper game, but no, he hasn't proven he deserves a spot. If anything he's shown that he doesn't deserve one. But I will always thank him for his time here. He's made some solid money, has his degree, and can say he's played in the NBA but his time is done sadly.

My chief complaint (badum ching) about Aminu is his complete lack of consistent improvement. He has so much potential, and will occasionally show flashes of it, but only shortly before reverting back to his usual "I look lost on the court" self. It's frustrating at times.
    Last edited by SeaLegs; 03-31-2014 at 05:49 PM.

Bottom line he's replaceable. He's a one trick pony all he does well is rebound.

Teams simply don't guard this guy. They just pack the lane and for what he gives on defense I don't think it's worth him being out there for more than 12 min per game...

black hole on offense and overrated defense. great rebounder, too bad he's too small to play PF.

Gone

Quote Originally Posted by kjayb51 View Post
    black hole on offense and overrated defense. great rebounder, too bad he's too small to play PF.

Gone
    Is 6ft 9in too small to play PF? In today's NBA? He's not super strong to guard the David Wests, but there aren't many of those these days. Besides, we got Anthony Davis for that.

Aminu as a backup? Why wouldn't you want a guy who can complement shooters?

He should be used as a cutter/ slasher. I think Aminu is going to end up being a solid player, but probably for somebody else.

People forget how young he is though. You can still use the word potential with him, especially considering he has been poorly coached and misused thus far in his career.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Thread Information