Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chad Ford: "Losing pick would be major blow to the franchise."

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar

Chad Ford: "Losing pick would be major blow to the franchise."

{Mod edit-Please do not copy and paste ESPN Insider articles}

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story...espnapi_public

Lol.

This draft is extremely top-heavy in the top three, and we only had a distant chance at getting that pick.

I'll be honest i have no idea why anytime ford sneezes it's instantly BREAKING NEWS on this board? I mean, does anyone really care what he thinks anyway? Do saints fans care about what prisco thinks about the team? Naaaahh

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    Do saints fans care about what prisco thinks about the team? Naaaahh
    Yes they do lol

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Keeping the pick would be amazing, like found money. Losing it is something we all expected and isn't so much a "blow to the franchise" as just cost of putting together our team.
    @DanielVeuleman

...we get to go McDonalds
    The biggest mistake NBA people make is over valuing draft picks. In each draft, it's different. I haven't seen Exum play, but of the college guys, I can say there's 3 that an NBA team will want to get into position for -- Embiid, Parker, and Wiggins. So in the 2014 draft, I'd say the top 3 are super valuable. Again, I haven't seen Exum play.

In 2013, no selection was that valuable. In 2012, only the top pick was that valuable.

Which brings me to this: If you are not selecting in a spot that has a valuable player, the draft pick is inordinately valued too highly in the NBA. The ONLY way a rookie deal is valuable is if the player turns into a key contributor; and drafting a key contributor is at this point, more art than science. In other words, it's hard and no one can predict the future with most 20 year olds.

Looking back, both teams made the right trade. The Sixers wanted to guarantee a top 3 finish, and we were never going to be in position to suck that badly because Anthony Davis is a phenom. Because of the trade, we added Jrue on a good contract, and the Sixers are going to probably add one of the top 3.

People are skewed by the OKC model. That model just doesn't work most of the time these days. Look at Cleveland where they had 2 #1s and 2 #4s. That hasn't made them into even a playoff team in the East yet.

I think people were just excited about the idea of Noel + Davis, but I'm really not sure the team would have taken Noel if they were going to keep the pick.

Jrue being out has also hurt the opinion on this trade to this point.

Chad Ford, "Austin Rivers is extremely selfish and will be a problem in the locker room."

Guy is right on top of things!
    @mcnamara247

How many teams even hit on their lottery picks each year anyway? Major blow to the franchise? Injuries have been a major blow to the franchise.

In all honesty I haven't seen anything from any of these top 5-7 picks that has me excited. Heck Wiggins completely disappeared, dude had 4 easy dunks against a mediocre squad in the first round and people made it seem like he was the second coming of LeBron... where was he in the second round tho?

I personally would like to see all of them go back for at least 1 more year.

It would be hilarious if all 3 went back another year after all the talk about how this was supposed to be the deepest class in a decade. There was even talk last summer that Andrew Wiggins would have been the first pick each of the last few seasons, including 2012. Right now I'm not sure if he'll be that much better than Trevor Ariza.

Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post
    People are skewed by the OKC model. That model just doesn't work most of the time these days. Look at Cleveland where they had 2 #1s and 2 #4s. That hasn't made them into even a playoff team in the East yet.

I think people were just excited about the idea of Noel + Davis, but I'm really not sure the team would have taken Noel if they were going to keep the pick.

Jrue being out has also hurt the opinion on this trade to this point.
    To add to your point look at Sacramento. They suck every year and seem to get a lottery pick and still can't get above 500. It comes a point when your no longer tanking to become the OKC, but your sucking like the Kings, Cavs or the Clippers before CP3.

...we get to go McDonalds
    Regardless of what we think about tanking, for the most part, you have to have a superstar player to be relevant in the NBA. And really, the only way to grab a prized asset with that value, as a small market, is to draft him. Milwaukee has ZERO chance at getting a prime FA, so their only course of action is to draft one. Therefore, they must suck to get in position for it. It's the way it is. The only team I can recall who won without a Hall of Famer is the Pistons and they had 5 all-stars.

The key point is you have to draft well, and the Kings, Cavs, Bobcats have all shown it ain't easy. If we didn't win the AD sweepstakes, we'd be in the same boat.

Y'all doing some major hating on Wiggins. He is an excellent defender with solid handles, solid shot, excellent finishing ability, and willing to play team ball. However, Self never features his wings as offensive players and prefers to instead do inside-out with his bigs.

Two potential franchise players in Wiggins and Embiid. That's it. And emphasis on potential. I think AD was a lot more of a sure thing coming out of college given his defensive abilities.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    Regardless of what we think about tanking, for the most part, you have to have a superstar player to be relevant in the NBA. And really, the only way to grab a prized asset with that value, as a small market, is to draft him. Milwaukee has ZERO chance at getting a prime FA, so their only course of action is to draft one. Therefore, they must suck to get in position for it. It's the way it is. The only team I can recall who won without a Hall of Famer is the Pistons and they had 5 all-stars.

The key point is you have to draft well, and the Kings, Cavs, Bobcats have all shown it ain't easy. If we didn't win the AD sweepstakes, we'd be in the same boat.
    You can also trade for one on draft day or further down the line. Dirk and Kobe were both draft-day trades, IIRC. Vince Carter, too.

It makes no sense whateoever that not having a pick at #6 or higher constitutes a major blow, especially since draft after draft in that range has more misses than hits.

The problem is that there are so many good writers and analysts out there these days that the bad ones really stick out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    I'll be honest i have no idea why anytime ford sneezes it's instantly BREAKING NEWS on this board? I mean, does anyone really care what he thinks anyway? Do saints fans care about what prisco thinks about the team? Naaaahh
    Because the Pelicans hardley get national coverage, so the board freaks out the very times it happens.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Another thing that bothers me - We are not LOSING the pick. Not like we had it and ...oops, where did it go???

We agreed to give it to a team for another commodity. It's just that the cost was delayed. If I get NFL Sunday Ticket, I could pay at once or in 4 installments. I am not losing the installments that I pay down the line. It is the cost I agreed to pay for the product. Gotta pay it some time.

Sorry, just a small thing that bothers me.

I'm still rolling with my initial prediction from months ago. Dante exum becomes the best player in the draft. Reminds me of Penny Hardaway.
    Last edited by kclaboy504; 03-24-2014 at 06:17 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Losing the pick would be a major blow just like getting Doug McDermott is really going to be a franchise changer. Way to speak in hyperbole to overstate your job's importance, Mr. Ford.

What I can’t believe is why Philly gave up on Jrue so quickly.
    Was it to tank?
    What makes them think the MCW or Noel will be their franchise player?
    They are taking a huge gamble thinking they will get a top 3 pick in this years draft.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Just as likely to set the franchise back by being a bust.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDawg26 View Post
    To add to your point look at Sacramento. They suck every year and seem to get a lottery pick and still can't get above 500. It comes a point when your no longer tanking to become the OKC, but your sucking like the Kings, Cavs or the Clippers before CP3.
    Cle and Sac being run by idiots doesnt prove tanking doesnt work. Plenty of teams have tanked and came out much better for it.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkySlim View Post
    Cle and Sac being run by idiots doesnt prove tanking doesnt work. Plenty of teams have tanked and came out much better for it.
    Raptors have tanked for eternity and have sucked pretty much forever anyway. Bobcats have tanked since they were born too

Thread Information