Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Official New Orleans Saints Offseason Discussion Thread

I wouldn't be surprised if we outright cut Evans and his 11m salary. He was pretty inconsistent too. He will prob have to take a pay cut or be cut. No way we pay him his 11m cap hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Yeah I'm hoping we take a DB, DE, and CB in the draft. The others will hopefully be WR, OT, RB, and BPA.
    Nah man we need to take a good prospect that is ready to start day 1 at wr with our first pick. We have to upgrade at wr more than any other position right now IMO. Still waiting to see what happens with graham. Doesn't look anybody is willing to give up 2 1st rd picks and pay him 10-12m a year lol. I love graham and would love him to be a saint only at the right price tho. He isn't worth more than 9m. Gronk is a much better te when healthy. Graham gets alligator arms too often when going deep and a hit is about to be laid on him. Seen it way too many times. I'd take gronk all day.

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    Nah man we need to take a good prospect that is ready to start day 1 at wr with our first pick. We have to upgrade at wr more than any other position right now IMO. Still waiting to see what happens with graham. Doesn't look anybody is willing to give up 2 1st rd picks and pay him 10-12m a year lol. I love graham and would love him to be a saint only at the right price tho. He isn't worth more than 9m. Gronk is a much better te when healthy. Graham gets alligator arms too often when going deep and a hit is about to be laid on him. Seen it way too many times. I'd take gronk all day.
    Oh I wasn't say the order of what we would take, just what I'd like to focus on in the draft. I personally think we need to go WR in either the 1st or 2nd depending who's there. Cooks or OBJ would be perfect for us because of being able to double as our returner.

I'd also like to grab Jeremy Hill if he's there in the 4th. I think he will end up being a steal in the draft. He was either the best or tied for best RB in the SEC and unlike others, he comes into the NFL without being used up. I know off field issues might be redflag for some but it was just dumb stuff nothing serious. He can also catch the ball making him super valuable in our offense. Right now he's projected to be there with our 122 pick but LSU pro day will most likely change that.

The rest of the draft is just areas of need and where we see perceived value.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Where did you get this from? I have not heard that and as close as we are on the cap, I am not sure that is the case.
    From ESPN

He has two years remaining on his contract. By releasing him, the Saints save at least $2.5 million against this year's salary cap -- and possibly the full $3.8 million if they designate his release as a post-June 1 move.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    yea bunkley won't be released too much dead money. grubbs is over paid. pro bowl is like the nba all star game. means nothing to the play on the field. its a popularity contest. he has a cap hit of 9.1 mill id be surprised if grubbs doesn't agree to take a cut or at least restructure that is way too much for him. he gets blown up several times a game he is not that good. bunkley will def take a pay cut that was a horrible signing to begin with anyways.
    Would you take a pay cut, if you were Grubbs or Bunkley? I think not. Restructure is fine, because you just get the money as a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    From ESPN

He has two years remaining on his contract. By releasing him, the Saints save at least $2.5 million against this year's salary cap -- and possibly the full $3.8 million if they designate his release as a post-June 1 move.
    IF they designate hime as June 1 cut. They haven't. They could, but it's not official yet.

Zach Strief signs 5 year deal with Saints...

http://www.wwltv.com/sports/black-an...250608991.html

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGirl View Post
    Zach Strief signs 5 year deal with Saints...

http://www.wwltv.com/sports/black-an...250608991.html
    This makes me A LOT more comfortable about the line this coming season. I know people aren't in love with him but there's something to be said for a probowler and continuity on a line.

Just did some more research on the Strief signing and I like it even more now. By some grading websites he was rated as the No.1 RT in all the NFL. He only gave up 3 sacks (directly responsible for), 4 hurries, and had only 4 penalties last year (lowest among all starters). The reason he grades so high is he has extremely high pass blocking abilities (rating near high level LTs). He is only average for run blocking but this isn't as big of a detriment since we are a pass first offense and his pass blocking is so high.

Then you look at his contract. 5yr slightly over $20m. Just under 8.5M guaranteed. Average of 4.1M/yr. When compared to all other starting RTs this is middle of the pack money. The highest paid RT gets 7M/yr. Not only that but the only RTs paid less are basically still on rookie deals. So we got the highest graded RT by some in the NFL and basically paid him mid level money. Whatever slight weaknesses he does have, I think he is on a great deal, combined with knowing the system, continuity on the line; it's very hard to hate this signing.

Strief was the team's best o-lineman this year.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Oh I wasn't say the order of what we would take, just what I'd like to focus on in the draft. I personally think we need to go WR in either the 1st or 2nd depending who's there. Cooks or OBJ would be perfect for us because of being able to double as our returner.

I'd also like to grab Jeremy Hill if he's there in the 4th. I think he will end up being a steal in the draft. He was either the best or tied for best RB in the SEC and unlike others, he comes into the NFL without being used up. I know off field issues might be redflag for some but it was just dumb stuff nothing serious. He can also catch the ball making him super valuable in our offense. Right now he's projected to be there with our 122 pick but LSU pro day will most likely change that.

The rest of the draft is just areas of need and where we see perceived value.
    Yea I agree. I think hill will be a very productive back in the nfl for several years. I think he is the best back in this draft besides Hyde. I don't see 3-4 better backs than him. I like cooks too but I want a guy that can develop into a true #1 wr. He's more of a #2 or slot guy and we have those guys on our roster already. I'm higher on Benjamin than most cause I think he can develop into that #1 guy in 2-3 years and be a beast. He's still very raw in his route running but he can go up and get it over anybody. I'm also really high on that penn st. Wr. I think he's gonna be a beast. Doesn't look like anybody is willing to give up 2 1st for graham so he's our te of the future. I just don't think we need a 10m a year te on this offense. That money could be well spent on 2-3 mid level guys and not to mention I think we could get a 1st rd and a 3rd rd pick for him on the open market.
    Last edited by kclaboy504; 03-18-2014 at 03:21 PM.

Saints re-sign Joe Morgan to a one-year deal.

The New Orleans Saints have re-signed wide receiver Joe Morgan to a one-year contract, the team announced on Tuesday.
    http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf...rt_orangestrip

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Happy to see Joe back. I actually really like what they're doing on Airline Dr.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGirl View Post
    Yeah, as soon as we signed Tampa' FB for 4 years I knew he was gone. Isnt it crazy how the entire backfield of Detroit used to be a Saint?

New Orleans Saints restructure contract of cornerback Keenan Lewis, source says

The New Orleans Saints have restructured cornerback Keenan Lewis' contract, according to a source, as the team is near the salary cap ceiling of $133 million for the 2014 season.

New Orleans Saints save nearly $1.4 million in salary cap space on Pierre Thomas' new deal, source says

New Orleans Saints running back Pierre Thomas' two-year contract extension will save the team about $1.4 million in salary cap space for 2014, according to a source.

Thomas' 2014 cap number is down to $1.57 million. His cap figure was set to be $2.9 million before the extension.

Well bunkley took a big pay cut as I thought would happen. I think more is to come.

Joel Myers doing the Play by Play for the Saints?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    Yessir!!!
    2013-1014 is the season the Pelicans fanbase grows!!!!

Hey guys, big Pelicans fan making my first trip to New Orleans in December. Looking to catch a saints game & just wanted to know how the stadium seats are. Are the nosebleeds still a decent view? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    Hey guys, big Pelicans fan making my first trip to New Orleans in December. Looking to catch a saints game & just wanted to know how the stadium seats are. Are the nosebleeds still a decent view? Any suggestions? Thanks!
    Looking to buy tickets today if anyone could help that would be great!

Thread Information