Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Official New Orleans Saints Offseason Discussion Thread

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar

Saints Official New Orleans Saints Offseason Discussion Thread

Pin this bad boy...

Now your speaking my language.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Saints agree to deal with Pro Bowl Safety Jairus Byrd

NEW ORLEANS -- The New Orleans Saints have agreed to a six-year deal with free agent safety Jairus Byrd, the team announced Tuesday night.
    Byrd, 27, is a three-time Pro Bowler and was widely considered to be the best safety on the market.
    http://www.wwltv.com/sports/black-an...249657841.html

New Orleans Saints agree to terms with safety Jairus Byrd as Malcolm Jenkins soars off to Philadelphia

The New Orleans Saints made a huge, unexpected splash in free agency as they agreed to terms with prized Buffalo Bills safety Jairus Byrd on a six-year contract, the team announced Tuesday night. The deal is worth a maximum of $54 million, including $28 million guaranteed, according to ESPN.
    http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf..._to_te_12.html

The signing of Jarius Byrd is wonderful news. As much as I disliked Malcolm Jenkins (anyone remember when that slow TB running back hurdled him?), I'll admit that it's somewhat sad to see him go given that he was part of our championship squad. But nevertheless, out with the old, in with the new. Barring injuries, our secondary will be nasty next year. Any idea who'll line up as starting CB next to Keenan Lewis?

Also, what do you guys make of the Jimmy Graham situation?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Don't know how Loomis did it. But when happening needs to be made. He happens to the making it.

I think it's an awesome signing. The way I look at it is, honestly we have a very narrow window, and we are going to go all in the next year or two to try and get another ring. People talk about our cap and say in a few years it's going to all blow up in our face but in a few years Brees is going to be too old to really compete and we are going to have to blow it up anyway.

So I'd rather take the shot now and try and get another ring than try and worry about our cap in 3 years when it won't matter anyway. Then we will have a year or two of being down while we fix the cap but that's FINE because we are going to need to find a QB to replace Brees anyway and that might take a couple years unless we get extremely lucky.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Honestly, I'm liking Jimmy Graham on this team less and less next season.

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    Honestly, I'm liking Jimmy Graham on this team less and less next season.
    Yup. Honestly, I'd be more than happy to get two decent firsts for him and just move on. Big, pass catching tight ends are popping up more and more lately so its not like he's completely irreplaceable (although he is obviously one of, if not the, best of them). And I think I'd prefer cheap rookies at positions of more need than keep him for 10 mil a year and have him and Brees take up like 30% of the cap themselves. And he kept short arming passes by the end of the season which pissed me off to no end.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    Yup. Honestly, I'd be more than happy to get two decent firsts for him and just move on. Big, pass catching tight ends are popping up more and more lately so its not like he's completely irreplaceable (although he is obviously one of, if not the, best of them). And I think I'd prefer cheap rookies at positions of more need than keep him for 10 mil a year and have him and Brees take up like 30% of the cap themselves. And he kept short arming passes by the end of the season which pissed me off to no end.

I think it really depends on if the saints think they can get a #1 WR in this year's draft or not. If they think they can get a top guy then that makes Graham less valuable. With Colston getting up in age Graham was effectively out No. 1 target. We'd have to replace him one way or the other.

Heck. Let Graham go for two firsts and sign Eric Decker + draft a TE? People say he's a solid No. 2 who performed above his level because of Manning. I think if any QB can keep him over achieving it's Brees. He has the size to be a big threat and would come cheaper (maybe by a good bit) than Graham.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    It's a strange thing this offseason. But I've come to look at it like this. Graham is not our franchise player. We could soldier on and win without him, still field a competetive team.

If we could get some high picks out of him, this is a great year to add more talent to the team. If not, keep him. Pay him as little as he'll allow. And go from there.

But getting Byrd just made me greedy. Now I want Sammy Watkins AND Donte Moncrief.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    as talented as he is, Graham comes up short on the "aggressive scale" much more often than I care to see....as was pointed out already, from short arming balls to just not wanting the ball as badly as the defender and being content with waiting for it to come to him..... granted, he is a tough matchup, but when given his due respect, several clubs showed that he could be made to look pretty damned average at times.....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Loomis never ceases to amaze. Jairus Byrd is HUGE.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    I'll let Graham walk. To me Drew makes him the player he is as he did with Moore, Colston, Henderson, Patten etc. if we can somehow end up with a 6'7 TE with Jimmy's departure I'll be happy, he's good but not good enough to cripple our cap for the future.
    2013-1014 is the season the Pelicans fanbase grows!!!!

A player that gets completely shut down in the playoffs is replaceable. I mean Mark Ingram at least showed up in the playoffs. lol

I know everyone thinks Graham is not worth the money but I think he was at times letting up to not get injured before his payday. Not saying it's right, just what I thought.

Honestly don't think you can question his aggression. I've listened to multiple interviews where saints players have said he plays with a chip on his shoulder and is super aggressive.

That said, I'd cash in on 2 1st rounders for him and try and sign someone like Owen Daniels - who gives you 70% of Graham but also blocks and will come much cheaper.

Man if we can get 2 1st rd picks for graham. That'd be great. Give me that all day. With the big money we have tied up in s and qb now. Those picks are even more valuable than we think. In this offense we can replace graham with another pass catching te. Will he produce at the sme level? Prob not but we can also make this offense more well rounded from te to the wr spots. I really like this kid coming out of UW Austin seferias Jenkins. He is also a basketball/football player that plays te and is 6'5 3/4in. So only an inch shorter than graham but a much better blocker but goes up n gets the 50/50 balls just as good as graham. He can be had in the 2-3 rds. I've heard that the jets may be making a play for graham and their 1st rd pick this year is #18. We HAVE to upgrade our lb pos. Lofton is good for maybe another year but we need a fast playmaking lb with sideline to sideline ability. I really like Ryan shazier from Osu first and then Cj mosely from that other school lol. Yea I don't even spell out their name. Lol. Shazier was a really good pass rusher in college but looks to be more of the type of lb I mentioned in the nfl. This Byrd signing is absolutely ridiculous. As soon as it was reported he was visiting I just knew it'd be official. We locked him up for the rest of his prime from 27-33. Also 28 is guaranteed at 9m per so we are basically saying we got faith in the next 3 years. If there is a drop off or not worth it after we can cut him but next to Seattle we have the best FS/SS combo on the nfl and with Lewis locking 1 side down. If we can add a solid #2 with white at the nickel we could have the best secondary in the league. Our d line is already beast mode getting after the qb. We just need that athletic lb I'm speaking if and we could be looking at the greatest defense we've ever see here in n.o. And yes that includes the dome patrol. The dome patrol was all about the rushing olb's and the middle lbs in the 3-4. Our secondary wasn't that great but solid enough to compliment that all time great front 7. Dam I'm psyched for the saints season.

We need to sign Goodwin back and keep streif if the price is right and let Harris battle with him in camp. I also think we need to def go wr in the 1st rd unless someone drops to us unexpectedly. I think the Benjamin kid from fsu would be a really good get. He might be a project but the potential is thru the roof IMO. Colston can be a great tutor and really show him the ropes about being a 6'4 wr in this league. Im ok with them drafting lb too and grabbing a wr in the 2nd rd. I love Landry and his skill set. It's already been proven that fastest wr's doesn't mean the most successful. Jerry rice ran a 4'5+ 40. Landry has the best hands in this draft. Man if we drafted obj(if he's there) and Landry in the 2nd. That would be ridiculous. The chemistry that is already there for while they are on the field would be amazing.

I really like how we are shaping this defense tho. It's about time we can finally depend on our defense again. If we can get this offense churning again like in the past. Watch out rest of nfl!!!!!

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    PT back on a two year extension.

^^ I'm glad to hear this. I was hoping they'd keep Pierre.

New Orleans Saints agree to two-year extenstion with running back Pierre Thomas, agent says

Some contract maneuvering had to occur after prized safety Jairus Byrd came to terms with the New Orleans Saints on Tuesday. The first move came in the form of a contract extension as running back Pierre Thomas agreed to a two-year extension with the team, Thomas' agent Lamont Smith said via Twitter.
    http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf..._river_default

http://www.wwltv.com/sports/black-an...249803961.html

RESPECT DA KID!!! Contributor BigChris504's Avatar
    Chris Johnson? Yay, Nay?

Quote Originally Posted by BigChris504 View Post
    Chris Johnson? Yay, Nay?
    Nah. Not cause I don't want him tho lol. Too much $$. Our system on offense doesn't call for a high priced rb. I'm glad it's about time Khiry Robinson is getting his shine. This dude is an absolute stud. I'm telling ya this dude is gonna go down as one of our best rb in saints history if not THE best when it's all said n done.

Very happy with extending pierre. Prob saved us roughly 1m on the cap. Now let's hope we can fetch a 5th or 6th rd pick for sproles. Loved him for his time here but he is clearly in decline. His top speed has dropped big time as well as his acceleration. Tired of seeing him field punt and fall down after 1-2 yeards lol, or call fair catches with about 10 yards of open field in front if him.

I would let Graham go to the Raiders if possible for a first this year, and whatever we can get (draft pick wise) next year. Game is not a complete te, and is a wr by his definition. We have enough big slow wr's already.

I would like to see us move him, and take his replacement in Amaro or Ebron...

I like where this team is headed, with that Byrd signing alone our defense jumped into the top 4 of the league, and if we can land a play making cb or if we can draft Van Noy, we will be a top 3 def.

I hope we can send Sproles to Houston, but if not, lets make it interesting and send him somewhere where the pick can improve based on his performance (...hello Cleveland). Our run game is fine without him, we just need better receivers.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I hope we can send Sproles to Houston, but if not, lets make it interesting and send him somewhere where the pick can improve based on his performance (...hello Cleveland). Our run game is fine without him, we just need better receivers.
    Nah, I want a pick THIS year, not next. His performance in a place like Cleveland would almost certainly tail off. Take the pick now.

Thread Information