Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Monty will return next year

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    You are wrong about the expectations of some.

Also, if Monty is so bad, letting him do such moronic things (other people's words, paraphrased) so often is letting him run wild.

But, ok, tell yourself what you want. Try to not to pay attention to all the mid season coaching changes, in the past few years, even in LA.
    Did I say it never happens or that it's classless? I don't think Monty has done anything on the level of him needing to be removed mid-season. Proving your not a head coach, yet, is not running wild. Nor are we fighting for a playoff spot so it wouldn't make sense. The dude deserves at least enough respect to let him finish out the season, whether or not there are changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Did I say it never happens or that it's classless? I don't think Monty has done anything on the level of him needing to be removed mid-season. Proving your not a head coach, yet, is not running wild. Nor are we fighting for a playoff spot so it wouldn't make sense. The dude deserves at least enough respect to let him finish out the season, whether or not there are changes.
    I guess the Lakers are classless, then.

You realize that I am not advocating for firing Monty, right?

That buss character is absolutely classless. You nailed it. Oh and clueless as well.

The Cheeks situation was handled horribly

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    "Nothing's set in stone. We'll be evaluating everyone's performance during the offseason."

Boom
    And we have a winner!!! I personally thought Monty would be gone at the end of the season but after reading this article: http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.s...ch_mon_20.html I'm beginning to think otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by PelicansEyeView View Post
    And we have a winner!!! I personally thought Monty would be gone at the end of the season but after reading this article: http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.s...ch_mon_20.html I'm beginning to think otherwise.
    I read both the article and listened to the interview and am still a bit confused.
    Is it the injuries or the roster as to why Monty has had no success in four years?

"A roster which compliments his coaching" - so are we saying that the roster Dell the GM has put in front of Williams isn't his style?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    I read both the article and listened to the interview and am still a bit confused.
    Is it the injuries or the roster as to why Monty has had no success in four years?

"A roster which compliments his coaching" - so are we saying that the roster Dell the GM has put in front of Williams isn't his style?
    There are threads for that too. Looks like that's what the author of the article is saying.

http://www.pelicansreport.com/showth...Monty-problems

http://www.pelicansreport.com/showth...-Dell-s-vision

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGirl View Post
    There are threads for that too. Looks like that's what the author of the article is saying.

http://www.pelicansreport.com/showth...Monty-problems

http://www.pelicansreport.com/showth...-Dell-s-vision
    Well if this is the case then one has to go if they don't agree on the direction.
    However I think this is misconstrued.
    I just hope when all the pieces are finally here Monty doesn't play that boring half court game where he waits for the
    other team to set up their defense eveytime and jack up a shot with 5 seconds left.

I think Dell really thought he could get the SF or C that would compliment Monty by trading Gordon this year. Time and time again, it looks like Dell has overstimated Gordon's value, and when he traded for Jrue and Tyreke, it was no different. He thought he would be able to flip Gordon and he couldn't.

I am sure he will try again this summer - and I am sure he and Monty are on the same page. They will try to get a big and a SF to compliment the Core Four. Gotta hope Gordon finishes the season strong and then we might see that vision realized
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I think Dell really thought he could get the SF or C that would compliment Monty by trading Gordon this year. Time and time again, it looks like Dell has overstimated Gordon's value, and when he traded for Jrue and Tyreke, it was no different. He thought he would be able to flip Gordon and he couldn't.

I am sure he will try again this summer - and I am sure he and Monty are on the same page. They will try to get a big and a SF to compliment the Core Four. Gotta hope Gordon finishes the season strong and then we might see that vision realized
    Let's hope.
    But if they are unable to flip Gordon for a SF and a C do think they will just add
    complimentary bench pieces next season rather than using the full MLE on a stop gap SF?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post

Without a doubt, there's a real disconnect between Demps and Monty. My issue is, Demps has thrown together a pretty nice team. If Monty could figure out how to assemble rotations, this team would at least be fighting for the playoffs regardless of the injuries

After watching last night's game, it is clear that Anthony Davis and Monty Williams truly have a great chemistry with each other. I know the guy makes plenty of mistakes, but I say we let the guy see what he can do with a good team around him. All the players love him it seems (maybe not Tyreke), and I think he has shown improvement since joining the team.
    "Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal."- Demetri Martin

@ThePraff

Without a doubt, there's a real disconnect between Demps and Monty. My issue is, Demps has thrown together a pretty nice team. If Monty could figure out how to assemble rotations, this team would at least be fighting for the playoffs regardless of the injuries
    Im a big critic of Monty myself at times but c'mon man. Make the playoffs regardless of our injuries?? No way in the world we are a playoff team as currently constructed and what's available. Who should we be better than that is in the top 8?

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    Im a big critic of Monty myself at times but c'mon man. Make the playoffs regardless of our injuries?? No way in the world we are a playoff team as currently constructed and what's available. Who should we be better than that is in the top 8?
    I never said "make" the playoffs. I said "fighting for" the playoffs. The Pelicans are currently in 12th place in the Western Conference and 12 games out of 8th. Of the teams not in the top 8 in the conference, the 3 that are ahead of New Orleans are Phoenix, Minnesota, and Denver. You don't think New Orleans could have won 8 or so of the games they've lost based off coaching improvements alone and been 4 games out of the playoffs? That would certainly be fighting for the playoffs at this time of year. Of course this is just my opinion and how I personally feel.

8 games? Hell no. Maybe 4. Maybe.

The Clippers are on pace to win a grand total of one more game than last year. And Doc is so much better of a coach than Del Negro.

I never said "make" the playoffs. I said "fighting for" the playoffs. The Pelicans are currently in 12th place in the Western Conference and 12 games out of 8th. Of the teams not in the top 8 in the conference, the 3 that are ahead of New Orleans are Phoenix, Minnesota, and Denver. You don't think New Orleans could have won 8 or so of the games they've lost based off coaching improvements alone and been 4 games out of the playoffs? That would certainly be fighting for the playoffs at this time of year. Of course this is just my opinion and how I personally feel.
    Absolutely not. I think 4 is being generous. I think 2 maybe 3. Either way the only teams that are actually fighting for that 8 seed is Phoenix. MINNY is falling off slowly but surely. Denver isn't much closer to that 8 seed than us. What's the difference in our spot and Denver's? Not much. Denver has 0 shot at catching that 8 seed. So, they don't factor in IMO. Point is this team that is being put on the floor is NOT a playoff team in the west. If we played in the east we'd be a 3-4 seed for sure with this current roster that's on the floor. IMO. I've actually seen Monty making quite a few adjustments lately and Davis obviously loves his coach. You can't hide emotions and they are true. His emotions show on and off he court that he has a very good relationship with Monty. Whatever Davis wants. I want. It's as simple as that. I've come to grips with Monty has at least 1 more year to prove it. Next year is make or break for him. Playoffs for bust. Imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    8 games? Hell no. Maybe 4. Maybe.

The Clippers are on pace to win a grand total of one more game than last year. And Doc is so much better of a coach than Del Negro.
    Absolutely not. I think 4 is being generous. I think 2 maybe 3. Either way the only teams that are actually fighting for that 8 seed is Phoenix. MINNY is falling off slowly but surely. Denver isn't much closer to that 8 seed than us. What's the difference in our spot and Denver's? Not much. Denver has 0 shot at catching that 8 seed. So, they don't factor in IMO. Point is this team that is being put on the floor is NOT a playoff team in the west. If we played in the east we'd be a 3-4 seed for sure with this current roster that's on the floor. IMO. I've actually seen Monty making quite a few adjustments lately and Davis obviously loves his coach. You can't hide emotions and they are true. His emotions show on and off he court that he has a very good relationship with Monty. Whatever Davis wants. I want. It's as simple as that. I've come to grips with Monty has at least 1 more year to prove it. Next year is make or break for him. Playoffs for bust. Imo.

Being that I live in Denver, I don't catch every game but I would say I usually only miss 1 per week. But I know of 8 games that I've personally seen that the Pelicans have lost where they were leading by double digits with 5 or so minutes to go. The reason they lost most of those games in the final minutes is because mismatches the opposing coach created and Monty failed to make an adjustment to. Perhaps my expectations for this team and coaching staff are higher than your's and perhaps my expectation are unrealistic. But when I see opposing coaches make adjustments in every game to come back and when and the Pelicans rarely counter are make any adjustments themselves it burns me up.

Would you consider Rick Carlisle a good coach? The Mavs have lost multiple double digit leads late in games this year. It is a thing that happens.

I can name 2 in the last week alone lol. The Pelicans should have beaten Memphis and Portland last week. They had both teams down very late in the 4th quarter. Of course both opposing coaches make adjustments to create mismatches and Monty does nothing to counter that. The fact of the matter is, Minnesota is 4 games out of 8th therefore not out of the playoffs and Denver is 4 games ahead of New Orleans which is still 4 games better than the Pelicans. For me, every game counts. I'm not the type of fan that thinks, "Oh the Pelicans and Nuggets are essentially even because Denver is 4 games better in the standings." Sure this team as it stands with the injuries aren't a playoff team in the West but that doesn't excuse bad coaching. I honestly expected New Orleans to be a 7 or 8 seed with a fully healthy roster this year so of course I'm not doom and gloom that they didn't make the playoffs.

The point that I'm trying to make is that we all know that playoff basketball is a different style of basketball. It takes some great coaching to be successful come playoff time. This is not the type of coaching I've seen with the Pelicans' staff. Let's say New Orleans stays fully healthy next season and makes the playoffs, I'm just saying I don't expect Monty's adjustments to win many games come playoff time.

Yes. I consider Carlisle a good coach...not great but good. I understand losing games late in the 4th quarter happens in the NBA but does it have to happen as often as it does to New Orleans? I don't follow any other teams as I'm more of a New Orleans fan than I am an NBA fan. But I'm learning the NBA game as I become a bigger Pelicans fan. I've just never seen so many 3rd and 4th quarter meltdowns in my life.

Pr where the players have 0 accountability and the coach is always at fault.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Pr where the players have 0 accountability and the coach is always at fault.
    IMO the problem is some of the players flat out stink and players with more promise sitting on the bench behind them

What about the Spurs, then? They have won their games but have given up multiple huge leads leading to closer-than-they-should-be victories. Does giving up a double digit lead only count if it leads to a loss or does it also count when the lead shrinks to the point where it is now a one possession game at the end?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Also, Rick Addleman(sp?) with the TWolves. They have one of the best combination of ORtg and DRtg in the league but a poorer record than they should because they lose the close ones. Is Rick a bad coach because his team can't hold onto leads in close games?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I can name 2 in the last week alone lol. The Pelicans should have beaten Memphis and Portland last week. They had both teams down very late in the 4th quarter. Of course both opposing coaches make adjustments to create mismatches and Monty does nothing to counter that. The fact of the matter is, Minnesota is 4 games out of 8th therefore not out of the playoffs and Denver is 4 games ahead of New Orleans which is still 4 games better than the Pelicans. For me, every game counts. I'm not the type of fan that thinks, "Oh the Pelicans and Nuggets are essentially even because Denver is 4 games better in the standings." Sure this team as it stands with the injuries aren't a playoff team in the West but that doesn't excuse bad coaching. I honestly expected New Orleans to be a 7 or 8 seed with a fully healthy roster this year so of course I'm not doom and gloom that they didn't make the playoffs.

The point that I'm trying to make is that we all know that playoff basketball is a different style of basketball. It takes some great coaching to be successful come playoff time. This is not the type of coaching I've seen with the Pelicans' staff. Let's say New Orleans stays fully healthy next season and makes the playoffs, I'm just saying I don't expect Monty's adjustments to win many games come playoff time.
    Read my sig and that will tell u need to know what I think about Monty BUT at some point the players are held accountable too. As far as having a lead in the 4th qtr and losing the game. Do u know how many times that happens to EVERY team EVERY year? Neither do I but I watch a lot of nba other than the pelicans and I see it happen all the time. It's not conclusive to the pelicans. This team has talent and there for will be in a lot of games until the end but it takes a very good team and time together to learn how to close games out. I've already said I truly believe next year is a make or break year for Monty. We will see.

Thread Information