Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: A Guide to the Offseason

Pelicans A Guide to the Offseason

I get a lot of the same questions regarding this offseason, so I decided to do a piece answering all of them while also throwing out some names that Dell might target and more. Enjoy

Here are some snippets:

1. So How Much Cap Room Will the Pelicans Have This Summer?

I start off with the most important and most complex question of the bunch. How much do they have? Well, there is no fixed amount, but this question can be answered. The Pelicans have seven guys on the roster with guaranteed contracts next year – Anthony Davis, Tyreke Evans, Jrue Holiday, Ryan Anderson, Eric Gordon, Austin Rivers, and Alexis Ajinca. Those seven contracts count for 54,088,513 against the cap. The projected cap for next season is $62.1 million, meaning that after cap holds, the Pelicans can have about $6 million dollars in cap room next summer if they renounce everyone else on the roster.
    In all likelihood, however, the Pelicans will exercise their options on Jeff Withey and Luke Babbitt, which adds $1,764,645 to the books, which brings the cap room down to about $5.5 million after cap holds. Brian Roberts has a qualifying offer of $1.1 million dollars, and extending that to him would bring the Pelicans to about $5 million in cap room. This is where the Pelicans will have two options:

1. Keep Al-Farouq Aminu and/or Jason Smith’s cap holds on the books and have the full MLE to use on a free agent

OR

2. Renounce the rights to Aminu and Smith and have $5 million in cap room PLUS the room level exception

The full MLE gives you the ability to sign one or multiple players into a slot that averages approximately $5 million a year for up to 4 years. The room level exception allows you to sign a player to a contract up to two years in length for a little less than $2.7 million dollars a year. So, either way, the Pelicans can sign a free agent to a 4 year/20-22 million dollar contract AND either bring back Smith (or Aminu) or sign another free agent for about half of that.

Both Smith and Aminu have cap holds that can push the team over the salary cap, which is what you need to qualify for the full MLE. Of the two, you would have to think that Smith is more likely to return, though Demps seems to have an irrational love for Al-Farouq. In fact, he can bring both guys back at salaries similar to what they make this year and use the full MLE and still be well under the luxury tax. Heck, bring Morrow back too. This might be the best way to maximize their resources, in fact.

Marvin Williams - Marvin Williams has had a renaissance of sorts this season, as his eFG% is a at a career high 54.9%, due in large part to the fact that his 3-point rate is insanely high (44.2%). His defensive rebounding is the highest it has ever been, and his turnover rate is a career low. Basically, he has transformed himself into a 3-and-D small forward who can occasionally play the 4, and has looked good doing it.

It seems like Williams has been in the league forever, but he is actually one of the youngest guys on this list (27 years young). He likes the wing three and the straight on three, and is surprisingly ineffective from the corners. This might be an issue, as Ryno likes to get his three’s from those areas, but then again, Williams could essentially play the Ryno role in the first unit, and exit when Anderson comes off the bench.

Defensively, he has lost a half a step, but he is still a smart defender and has the ability to guard both forward positions. He also is, historically, a guy who does not foul much and can get you the occasional block or steal. He has length and size, which are two requirements for wing defenders in Monty’s system, so in a lot of ways he would be a good fit.

Trevor Ariza - Well here’s a blast from the past. Like Williams, Ariza is having arguably his best season in years, putting up 14 points in just 11 shots due in large part to an incredibly high 52.6% 3-point rate. Nearly 35% of Ariza’s shots this year have been catch-and-shoot jumpers, where he is 42% from three in such situations. He is even more deadly in transition, shooting 46% from three while averaging 1.3 points per possession.
    Defensively, Ariza has been good in both pick and roll defense and isolation defense, but he is not the elite perimeter defender he was once billed as back with the Lakers. The questions with Ariza are two-fold:

1. Is his performance a result of this being a contract year?
    2. Would he return to New Orleans after the way he was treated in the 2011-12 season?

Number 2 is easier to answer than #1, as money always tends to talk in this business. But the first question is one that the Pelicans, and any other suitor, should be asking themselves. Ariza is having the best season of his career since 2008-09. What was 2008-09 for Ariza? It was his last contract year. Houston gave him a 5 year deal after his breakout season with the Lakers and he immediately regressed. Will the same happen next year?
    8. Will Pierre Jackson be a Pelican next season?

Our own Nick Lewellen recently did a great piece on Jackson and his future with the Pelicans, but I want to look at this from a financial perspective. If signed, Jackson figures to make about $500,000 next season, which is about half of what Brian Roberts qualifying offer happens to be. To take it a step further, he will only make about a fifth of what Austin Rivers will make next year, and the same probably goes for Anthony Morrow if he is re-signed.

When you look at the Pelicans list of guards – Holiday, Evans, Gordon, Morrow, Rivers, Roberts, and Jackson – it is hard to imagine that more than five of those guys are on the roster next season. The question with Jackson has always been, where does he fit if you already have so many guys who need the ball in their hand to be effective?

The Pelicans seem to have two choices here:

1. Place him on the roster and bring him along very slowly, similar to the way Dallas used JJ Barea early in his career. Barea barely played his first season and only got about 10 minutes per game his second season, as a 5th guard. But by his third season, he was ready, and was a fixture in the rotations.

2. Move him for a rotational piece at a position of greater need. Maybe you get a SF with the MLE and so you move him and somebody like Jeff Withey for a backup big man like Kosta Koufos or T. Mosgov. Something along those lines. Or perhaps you can turn Jackson into a future pick.

With Jackson, it seems to be a bad fit for this roster, unless Dell Demps is able to move 2-3 guys who need the ball in their hands to be successful. So, more likely than not, Jackson is not on the roster next season and if he is, expect little to no minutes for him.
    To read the rest: http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...possibilities/
    @mcnamara247

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Renouncing Aminu and Smith seems to be the smarter way to go, or am I looking into that wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    Renouncing Aminu and Smith seems to be the smarter way to go, or am I looking into that wrong?
    No, you are looking at it the right way. We don't need either next year. The crop of guys we have playing the 5 this year are giving us as much (if not better) production than Smith gave us when he was healthy this year. And Aminu...well by not resigning him maybe Monty will get the hint that his time is coming as well (honestly, how long can one live off of the word "potential").
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I wouldn't mind keeping Smiht coming of the bench (unless we get Emblid). Aminu needs to go though.

I personally like Jason Smith and Aminu, but it's time they both go.

It depends. If you dump Gordon then certainly, but if you are stuck with Gordon then you might be better of with the MLE and a S&T of Smith and sweetener for say Koufos.

I really like the ideas in the article of getting a quality big for Gordon (which could free up cap space also) and a the 3 and D players who can be available for the MLE (Tucker, Hamilton, and Sefolosha). I was also thinking about signing a vet to come off the bench for leadership purposes and control the second team like Shawn Marion, Haslem, or Elton Brand.

What's your snippet about Ryno? What happens if RA can not play next year. Do the Pels trade Evans instead of EG?

Personally, I prefer to keep Smith on the books, resign him and Morrow and have just the MLE available. I think it would be hard to get a player with the room level exception that is better than Smith. Is Smith a need next year? No, but I can't discount all the other things he brings off the court. How many vets around the league make more than 1.2 mil but less than 2.8 mil are better than Smith?

But as someone else posted, lets say you move Gordon for Galinari - then yes, I would renounce both and have about 9 mil in room to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Personally, I prefer to keep Smith on the books, resign him and Morrow and have just the MLE available. I think it would be hard to get a player with the room level exception that is better than Smith. Is Smith a need next year? No, but I can't discount all the other things he brings off the court. How many vets around the league make more than 1.2 mil but less than 2.8 mil are better than Smith?

But as someone else posted, lets say you move Gordon for Galinari - then yes, I would renounce both and have about 9 mil in room to play with.
    Smith is not a game changer locker room guy he's redundant position bad on D and can't stay healthy I rather save that move for a real C.

MM,

If Gordon isn't moved is a team of the following even possible?

Out: Steimsma & Roberts
    In: Tucker or Hamilton & Jackson

Holiday/Rivers/Jackson
    Gordon/Evans/Morrow
    Hamilton or Tucker/Aminu/Miller
    Davis/Anderson/Babbitt
    Smith/Ajinca/Withey

Then once Gordon is FA in 2015 go hard after Koufos to secure your starting centre
    a back up 2, strengthen the bench and use the space to re-sign Anderson and Davis.

I think this team needs small tweaks here and there and more
    importantly to stay injury free.

Thanks for taking the time to write this article MM. Your cap information was just the information I was looking for but too lazy to do myself.

I'm very mixed about which is the best way to handle our cap this offseason. This is why Dell makes his money though. I can see benefits to doing it either way, but barring the moving of Gordon I'm leaning more towards justing the MLE and bringing back Smith and Aminu. Especially Smith. I think he gives enough to keep his pay check. Actually I think he does more than enough even if you just look at his court production. Aminu I'm not a big fan of, however if we use our MLE on a SF then we're still going to need a backup and he does have some value there since I don't think we will be able to get another SF for vet min that will be a better backup.

But at the same time if we could use 5M in cap to sign a player, use the RLE to get another, and maybe give Smith a vet min with player option that would be the best option I think. Even if we release his cap holding we can still resign him like we did Aminu last year right?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I get a lot of the same questions regarding this offseason, so I decided to do a piece answering all of them while also throwing out some names that Dell might target and more. Enjoy

Here are some snippets:

To read the rest: http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...possibilities/
    I wish they would have gotten what they wanted for Jackson. Who knows they might get it in the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    MM,

If Gordon isn't moved is a team of the following even possible?

Out: Steimsma & Roberts
    In: Tucker or Hamilton & Jackson

Holiday/Rivers/Jackson
    Gordon/Evans/Morrow
    Hamilton or Tucker/Aminu/Miller
    Davis/Anderson/Babbitt
    Smith/Ajinca/Withey

Then once Gordon is FA in 2015 go hard after Koufos to secure your starting centre
    a back up 2, strengthen the bench and use the space to re-sign Anderson and Davis.

I think this team needs small tweaks here and there and more
    importantly to stay injury free.
    Yes, we could use the MLE on Tucker/Hamilton and just call up Jackson.

This! I think Jason Smith is a great big to come off the bench and do all the dirty work. Morrow would give us another shooter which is always a good thing to have. Imagine if we can move Gordon for Monroe or Kanter like you mentioned and sign Hamilton, Tucker, or Sefolosha as the 3 and D wing with the MLE. That would be the best team we have had in years in terms of talent and experience. You can have Holiday, Evans, MLE wing, Davis, and Kanter or Monroe as your starters and Ryno, Rivers, Smith, Morrow, and Jackson as your second team. That's a playoff team if ran by the right coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Yes, we could use the MLE on Tucker/Hamilton and just call up Jackson.
    Thanks.
    Now that Hamilton is with Houston who do you think has more of a chance to sign him?
    The Pel's have more cap space I believe and would offer him a starting role.

I'd love to add both Koufos & Hamilton to this core.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Thanks.
    Now that Hamilton is with Houston who do you think has more of a chance to sign him?
    The Pel's have more cap space I believe and would offer him a starting role.

I'd love to add both Koufos & Hamilton to this core.
    If I'm not mistaken The Rockets would be able to match any offer. But they also have to sign Chandler Parsons. Depending what the Rockets do this year will make a big difference with Hamilton. If the rumors of them trying to get Rondo are true and they deal Parsons in the trade then I don't think there is any way we get Hamilton. Honestly I think that's why they made the move for him, to see if he could be their SF and give them flexibility to move players this offseason. Understand I'm not saying Parsons will be moved. Just a rumor going around.

One of the reasons I was really pushing to trade for Hamilton was so we'd have him in house this offseason to have a better chance of keeping him. The fact. Houston traded for him tells me they are at least interested in getting a better look at him before he can be signed this offseason. If nothing else it puts them in the drivers seat.

Here's an interesting thought that I'm just putting out there: Asik, Hamilton, Jones for Anderson and whatever it takes to make it work. Does anyone say no to that?

Hamilton is unrestricted, so Rockets don't have the ability to wait and match. I think if he gets offered more than 3 mil per, they let him walk because the Parsons extension is right around the corner.

Hamilton is unrestricted, so Rockets don't have the ability to wait and match. I think if he gets offered more than 3 mil per, they let him walk because the Parsons extension is right around the corner.
    Thanks for the clarification. If we could get him for basically Aminu's contract I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Question: You said that if we keep Smith's or Aminu's cap hold it would push us over the line. Is there any way to sign Hamilton to 3m/yr into cap, keep Smith, and push ourselves over the line to have the MLE for a Jordan Hill type center?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. If we could get him for basically Aminu's contract I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Question: You said that if we keep Smith's or Aminu's cap hold it would push us over the line. Is there any way to sign Hamilton to 3m/yr into cap, keep Smith, and push ourselves over the line to have the MLE for a Jordan Hill type center?
    You cant use cap room AND the MLE, so that would be really hard/impossible. If you want Hamilton AND Hill, you would either have to trade Gordon and open up some room or renounce everyone and get Rivers off the books.

And personally, I dont think we will target Hill this summer. Dell seems to want someone who defends centers if we add a big. Hill defends PF's. We have six quality bigs coming back for next year if we re-sign Smith. I think the only way we add a big is if it is a significant upgrade, and guys like that (Gortat) will be too far out of our price range.

You cant use cap room AND the MLE, so that would be really hard/impossible. If you want Hamilton AND Hill, you would either have to trade Gordon and open up some room or renounce everyone and get Rivers off the books.

And personally, I dont think we will target Hill this summer. Dell seems to want someone who defends centers if we add a big. Hill defends PF's. We have six quality bigs coming back for next year if we re-sign Smith. I think the only way we add a big is if it is a significant upgrade, and guys like that (Gortat) will be too far out of our price range.
    Thanks. I kind of agree that I don't think we make a move for Hill this offseason. If we were able to get him before the deadline maybe so but now, I dont think so. At least not without moving a couple of our bigs. I was just trying to be greedy since we were so close to the cap. I've resigned myself to not expecting another center unless we trade for him with Gordon or at least move Gordon for cap and honestly, I'm fine with that. I believe in AD as a center in our future so it's not a huge issue to me.

Personally, my offseason plan would be very simple:

1. Re-sign Smith (1 year, 3 mil - allows you to keep his Bird Rights) and Morrow (2 years/5 mil)
    2. Sign PJ Tucker (4 years, 18 million)
    3. Let Roberts, Aminu, Miller, and Stiemsma walk (best case scenario, S&T Roberts and/or Aminu for exceptions)
    4. Bring in Pierre as our 2014 "rookie"

Jrue/Rivers/Pierre
    Gordon/Evans
    Tucker/Morrow
    Ryno/Smith/Babbitt
    AD/Ajinca/Withey

Have always loved Tucker, and his 3 ball has become more consistent. Great defender, good rebounder. As long as Monty is gone and our new coach puts him and our other guys in a position to succeed I think he would be a good cheap option at the 3

MM: Who are these six quality bigs? Jerry V stated he heard Ryno surgery rumors. If Ryan is out next season, the Pels may have some extra money to work a deal for a big or forward.

Quote Originally Posted by durun View Post
    MM: Who are these six quality bigs? Jerry V stated he heard Ryno surgery rumors. If Ryan is out next season, the Pels may have some extra money to work a deal for a big or forward.
    Surgery has always been the most likely outcome, but if it does happen, I do not expect it to bleed into next season. My doctor told me that within 3 weeks of having surgery for a herniated disk, I would be up and running if I choose that route.

Surgery does not scare me if that is what Ryno needs. I still think he is a big part of this team next year and beyond.

Thread Information