Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Is the Tank Back

Quote Originally Posted by R_Ash View Post
    Where only 4 game out top 5 pick are we tanking?
    Our schedule says that (even with Jrue) well be in position for a top 5 pick.

@ Los Angeles
    @ Sacramento
    @ Los Angeles
    vs Milwaukee
    vs Denver
    vs Memphis
    vs Portland
    vs Boston
    vs Toronto
    @ Atlanta
    vs Miami
    vs Brooklyn
    vs Los Angeles
    vs Utah
    @ San Antonio
    vs Sacramento
    @ Denver
    @ Utah
    @ Portland
    vs Phoenix
    @ Oklahoma City
    @ Houston
    vs Oklahoma City
    vs Houston

Wow I'm looking at the standings, and there's no way we get a top 5 pick... unless we get some crazy luck with those ping pong balls we won't have a 1st rounder.
    Last edited by DroopyDawg; 02-23-2014 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post

@ Los Angeles
    @ Sacramento
    @ Los Angeles
    vs Milwaukee
    vs Denver
    vs Memphis
    vs Portland
    vs Boston
    vs Toronto
    @ Atlanta
    vs Miami
    vs Brooklyn
    vs Los Angeles
    vs Utah
    @ San Antonio
    vs Sacramento
    @ Denver
    @ Utah
    @ Portland
    vs Phoenix
    @ Oklahoma City
    @ Houston
    vs Oklahoma City
    vs Houston

Wow I'm looking at the standings, and there's no way we get a top 5 pick... unless we get some crazy luck with those ping pong balls we won't have a 1st rounder.
    I'd be surprised to win more than 5 of those games tbh. Jrue was supposed to be back next week but that all changed. He's out indefinitely again. I don't think he comes back this year. Jmo tho. If we finish with less than 30 wins. We will be in the running to keep our pick.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar

@ Los Angeles
    @ Sacramento
    @ Los Angeles
    vs Milwaukee
    vs Denver
    vs Memphis
    vs Portland
    vs Boston
    vs Toronto
    @ Atlanta
    vs Miami
    vs Brooklyn
    vs Los Angeles
    vs Utah
    @ San Antonio
    vs Sacramento
    @ Denver
    @ Utah
    @ Portland
    vs Phoenix
    @ Oklahoma City
    @ Houston
    vs Oklahoma City
    vs Houston

Is that really our schedule? That's brutal

We may end up with a top pick but we shoud work on improving. Allot of you have cruicified Monty and he hasn't be flawless or close to it but we should all be in agreemtn that injuries is the main cause of the issues this season...now come next year, injuries or not, accountability will and needs to happen.
    The Only way to get ahead is to get started.....What you waiting for!

Quote Originally Posted by ajrochel View Post
    We may end up with a top pick but we shoud work on improving. Allot of you have cruicified Monty and he hasn't be flawless or close to it but we should all be in agreemtn that injuries is the main cause of the issues this season...now come next year, injuries or not, accountability will and needs to happen.
    I'm not sure who said it or on what thread but they said injuries are an excuse and all it will be with Monty is excuses. For example leaving Roberts in against Wall is just inexcusable. IMO he just is not a good coach
    Welcome to be here

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    How can something be back when it was never here to begin with?

Meh. Whatever helps you fan sleep at fan night.

How many years do you give a head coach that has "an excuse" year after year? Thats all its been with Monty.

Quote Originally Posted by daybreaker View Post
    How many years do you give a head coach that has "an excuse" year after year? Thats all its been with Monty.
    Monty has made some head-scratching (terrible) decisions during games, but come on now... Ever since CP3 and DWest left this team has had garbage rosters (that's what happens when you're rebuilding). And when we finally get decent talent on the roster everybody gets hurt.

Sometimes its not an "excuse"... its just facts. We all wish that Monty was like Popovich, where it doesn't matter who he plays they produce, but that ain't the case. We have a team full of guys that probably wouldn't get minutes with any other team... logging 20+ minutes.

I just hope that next season we can stay "relatively" healthy, and if Monty keeps making these questionable decisions, then he needs to go.

Banned
    Monty has made some head-scratching (terrible) decisions during games, but come on now... Ever since CP3 and DWest left this team has had garbage rosters (that's what happens when you're rebuilding). And when we finally get decent talent on the roster everybody gets hurt.

Sometimes its not an "excuse"... its just facts. We all wish that Monty was like Popovich, where it doesn't matter who he plays they produce, but that ain't the case. We have a team full of guys that probably wouldn't get minutes with any other team... logging 20+ minutes.

I just hope that next season we can stay "relatively" healthy, and if Monty keeps making these questionable decisions, then he needs to go.
    And those guys that get 20+ minutes here wouldn't if we had a decent coach.

*cough Roberts-30 Rivers-16 mpg cough*

the tank is back but not on purpose

Quote Originally Posted by Noggy View Post
    And those guys that get 20+ minutes here wouldn't if we had a decent coach.

*cough Roberts-30 Rivers-16 mpg cough*
    I don't understand that either but its whatever... if we want Rivers to develop he has to get more than 16 minutes especially since he has actually played some good ball lately.

The Franchise
    We were in the same boat last year and Monty didn't play the youngsters. To me you have to play Rivers, Withey, and Miller to either showcase their talents to trade them or release them. One way or another they have to learn and might as well be on the job training. It's one thing to lose starting young players and another to lose with veterans.

You're right. He isn't Popovich, but why do we have to settle?

Quote Originally Posted by jrdbrn View Post
    You're right. He isn't Popovich, but why do we have to settle?
    Do you think Phil Jackson would make this roster (as it is now) a playoff contender? Serious question.

Do you think Phil Jackson would make this roster (as it is now) a playoff contender? Serious question.
    he probably wouldn't but then guess what my mom wouldn't either. shall we make her the coach?

Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    he probably wouldn't but then guess what my mom wouldn't either. shall we make her the coach?
    Sure, but if she sucks, can we call for her head, call her an idiot, speak about her with venomous hate and call her offensive names?

Listen to all the Monty defenders out there, even when healthy he was putting out questionable lineups and was struggling with in game adjustments. Heck he has been consistently bad at those two areas since he had CP3 and DWest. It's not like miraculously he's gonna change that once these guys get healthy.

I don't think the guy is awful but I do think he has a certain style that unfortunately doesn't fit the roster we have. Give him Memphis or Indiana and I think the guy could do well. But we need a coach that is able to adapt to the personnel he has and has a knack for fitting pieces together as a whole and getting the best out of them. It's easier said then done but one thing I'm certain of is that Monty isn't that. He's a guy who wants to fit his players into is molding and struggles to adapt when they don't.

Heck even if he was given all that to succeed I still think the better coaches in this league would be able to take him in a 7 game series. The better coaches in this league will throw wrenches into your formulas and force you to have to adapt to their schemes or suffer and I don't think Monty is quick enough to overcome that in a series.

So with all that said I'm at a point where I feel like Monty is never going to be a championship coach or even a deep playoff coach so were wasting our time and the more years we give to this guy will just be us succumbing even further into a sunk cost fallacy.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 02-24-2014 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    Sure, but if she sucks, can we call for her head, call her an idiot, speak about her with venomous hate and call her offensive names?
    You're acting like Coaches don't know what they're getting into when they agree to take the job. Monty knew what the perks and the negatives where when he accepted the position. He also knew that professional sports success is directly related to how successful you are on the field/court.

Maybe Monty has been dealt a bad hand with all the injuries, but plenty of other coaches have as well and the large number of them were still expected to perform at a competitive level. I'm not saying I want Monty gone, but I don't think you can make the argument that hypothetically putting another coach in his position and having them have similar results is grounds for keeping Monty.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    You're acting like Coaches don't know what they're getting into when they agree to take the job. Monty knew what the perks and the negatives where when he accepted the position. He also knew that professional sports success is directly related to how successful you are on the field/court.

Maybe Monty has been dealt a bad hand with all the injuries, but plenty of other coaches have as well and the large number of them were still expected to perform at a competitive level. I'm not saying I want Monty gone, but I don't think you can make the argument that hypothetically putting another coach in his position and having them have similar results is grounds for keeping Monty.
    I'm just saying if Pop or Jackson or PolishFan's mom made bad rotations, they would all face the same ridicule. I'm not saying we should keep him or boot him, I'm just saying that people think any person could just swoop in and solve all our problems.

If we get wiggins/Parker/Embiid we could have a dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    I'm just saying if Pop or Jackson or PolishFan's mom made bad rotations, they would all face the same ridicule. I'm not saying we should keep him or boot him, I'm just saying that people think any person could just swoop in and solve all our problems.
    I don't think anyone thinks anybody can just swoop in and fix this team. They just want someone to swoop in and try because they are tried of Monty. It has nothing to do with fixing the team and everything to do with Monty's poor decisions with the team.

But but but George Karl...

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    If we get wiggins/Parker/Embiid we could have a dynasty
    I wont even waste my time to dream.......
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

We would have to go something like 5-21 the rest of the way. Aint happening.

As likely that we make the playoffs as we finish with a bottom 5 record. So, we can drop this and move onto other discussions. Hopefully.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    We would have to go something like 5-21 the rest of the way. Aint happening
    anything is possible if you set your mind to it

Thread Information