Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tyreke struggles

I can't imaging Benson, Loomis, and Demps are happy to see Roberts get more minutes and close out games instead of Tyreke.

Quote Originally Posted by HalfBreed View Post
    I can't imaging Benson, Loomis, and Demps are happy to see Roberts get more minutes and close out games instead of Tyreke.
    And the way slow pace "offense" Monty has in place! We have 80 guards (Gordan, Evans, Morrow, and Rivers strengths are all in fast pace offense) and a big man that can run and Monty loves to play half court.

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    That was never gonna work. He needs the ball in his hands to be effective, those guys should be playing with a spot up shooter/floor spacer at the 3
    OR....they are the spot up shooters for him ???
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    or maybe hoping he could help fill the teams black hole at SF, not being used that way though.
    I'm not saying it's the answer but Reke has played almost 80% of his minutes at SF this year.

Quote Originally Posted by HalfBreed View Post
    That has to have Dell heated, Monty is making him looking like an idiot for making the trade when a D-leaguer is getting more min than a guy you just gave 11 mil.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I'm not saying it's the answer but Reke has played almost 80% of his minutes at SF this year.
    Whatever the stats say I believe, I just know when I am watching the games and Tyreke, Rivers, and Morrow are in together I do not technically know what position any of them are playing.

Whatever the stats say I believe, I just know when I am watching the games and Tyreke, Rivers, and Morrow are in together I do not technically know what position any of them are playing.
    It also makes it more confusing because when Evans is in he plays point forward. In the above scenario you posted he is definitely the SF. The only time he isn't is when Aminu is in there, but recently we've been playing Aminu at PF a lot and even then Reke is playing SF.

I think everyone agrees we need a true SF but looking at Reke's stats he's not as bad at SF as people said he was. He's great with assists and rebounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    It also makes it more confusing because when Evans is in he plays point forward. In the above scenario you posted he is definitely the SF. The only time he isn't is when Aminu is in there, but recently we've been playing Aminu at PF a lot and even then Reke is playing SF.

I think everyone agrees we need a true SF but looking at Reke's stats he's not as bad at SF as people said he was. He's great with assists and rebounds.
    Reke can handle his own when he's at the 3, he just loses his offensive advantage and on defense, he's alright cause he can't be bullied as much if they try to take him on the block.

One thing I've noticed from watching games is that the lineups he's in don't provide spacing sometimes, he's usually with two capable shooters, but two bigs that clog the lane, so the floor is spread some, but it still forces him into hard shots in the lane with 2 or 3 bodies. Or when Roberts is in with him, plays always seem to force him into the corner and there's no movement.

He'll get out of his funk, it'll just take time.

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    That has to have Dell heated, Monty is making him looking like an idiot for making the trade when a D-leaguer is getting more min than a guy you just gave 11 mil.
    I'm sure it is!

OR....they are the spot up shooters for him ???
    Then you aren't getting the most out of Jrue and EG using them as spot up shooters. Those 2 can play and handle the scoring load on the perimeter, they just need a guy who can knock down open shots, not someone who needs to run the offense to be any good. Plus you take away a shooter for them to dish to if you play Evans at SF instead of a shooter

Neither Jrue or Gordon have been efficient scorers themselves so they don't have any more right to run the offense over Tyreke.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans78 View Post
    Neither Jrue or Gordon have been efficient scorers themselves so they don't have any more right to run the offense over Tyreke.
    While I'm all for Reke running the offense, this statement isn't true. Jrue has a 51% TS rating and is shooting 39% from 3pt. Eric Gordin has a 54% TS rating and is shooting 38% from 3pt. They are both far more efficient scorers than Reke.

this dude..If Evans isn't playing on a run n gun team where he runs the show he isn't very good

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    thats weird, if we woulda signed him before jrue then i would understand, no way we would have known jrue would have been made available. But to have 36 million tied up between 3 guards is a little crazy, unless dell truely thought he could move gordon, im not spending 11 mil on a 6th man who gets 24 minutes...
    That's why I don't see how some are putting it all at the feet of Reke and Monty. It was Dell who apparently offered him 11M without having a clue if he could move Gordon or not. The plan definitely seems like it was for a Jrue/Reke backcourt but now 8 months later, and over a year since Dell started trying to move Gordon the dude is still here. That's not thinking the plan through very well in the first place.

You can't have such an expensive backcourt trio with no plan on how to use these guys. Even with Jrue out Reke isn't getting good mins. Then of course there's the use of him which has been terrible.

From watching just about every game Reke played in Sac I'll say this.

1) He's not healthy. He's not nearly as explosive as he can be.
    2) He's a rhythm player. He excels both when he's getting 35 or more mins and is handling the ball. Start cutting down his touches and move him off the ball, he'll struggle. Play him under 30 mins and create an environment where he doesn't know if he's going to play 18, 24, 28, 33 mins, and he'll also struggle. He not only doesn't know his role, he doesn't even know what mins he'll play.
    3) He's not as bad a shooter as he's showing. Last year he put up career %'s with his perimeter game. Even had stretches where he was raining down 4-5 jumpers a night from all over. Why isn't he shooting it well now? Don't forget he missed training camp with an injury. He still doesn't look healthy and with ankle problems his balance is probably screwed up. He's also probably forcing shots he otherwise wouldn't as he doesn't know when he's going to get pulled and rot on the bench.
    4) There's some stuff here about him not being good in the halfcourt. He is. He's torn teams apart playing halfcourt ball. He also does well in transition but as soon as Monty puts him in pick & rolls with AD up top and the floor spread with shooters you all will see him start to excel in the halfcourt. The issue is more in a halfcourt offense Monty STILL doesn't get him the ball where he likes and plays to his strengths. When he's throwing lobs to AD in the halfcourt does anyone complain? The question should be why the hell doesn't Monty put those two in those positions more often.

But the most glaring mistake is Dell thinking he could move Gordon and not doing it. Anything aside from Reke sharing ballhandling duties up top and playing big mins at SG is not using him correctly. Having a plan to have him spend half his time off the ball watching as a backup SG, or battling SF's on both ends is completely idiotic given the investment in him.

Dell created this mess though and Monty just makes it worse. It's Dell's fault he invested over 20M in two young SG's who play best getting touches, being in rhythm and needing big mins. Dell created a roster situation where NEITHER Reke or Gordon will play near their ceilings. The mins just aren't there. You couldn't put Westbrook and Rose on the same team and expect them both to play as good as they can. Couldn't put Howard and Hibbert on the same team. Couldn't put Durant and Melo on the same team. Well an idiot would but they're never going to be maximized. Its actually similar to Asik and Howard. There's no room for Asik. Play the same situation. At least Houston picked one though as Hou isn't so dumb they think splitting mins evenly will allow both to excel. Imagine if Houston went hard after Howard, signed him then played him 25 mins to appease Asik? That's pretty much what we have here, going hard after Reke and offering big money then moving him to 6th man and playing him erratic and small mins to appease Gordon.
    Last edited by SilkySlim; 02-24-2014 at 10:17 PM.

Tyreke Evans- Worst signing?

Is he even tradeable anymore? His deal has easily been the worst move of Demps

To get Reke, we gave up:
    Robin Lopez
    Greivis Vasquez
    over $40 mil

Wtf.

He needs a team tailored to him to be at his best, he needs the ball in his hands, ideally on a run n gun team, and to be surrounded by shooters. But he isn't nearly good enough to tailor your team to fit him.

We already had our starting guards

He was supposed to improve our bench? Without him we could have had a bench of

Greivis
    Rivers
    Morrow
    Anderson
    Smith

Which would have already been one of the best benches in the league. What is the point of him? He, Jrue and Gordon are a bad fit so he shouldn't be starting

He put up inflated stats on a DGAF losing team where he had freedom to do anything

He cant even get a start over Brian Roberts or Aminu

We also gave up a starting caliber center on a good deal to get him, and now we don't have one. genius

I wish this team would start Tyreke at PG for a couple of games.

Tyreke is still averaging 18 points 6.5 rebounds 6.5 assists per 36, i think the plan was to move gordon and have him start but it didint work. Remmber when we were healthy dude was averaging 22-8-8. Think he is just discouraged and has no help, same with AD. When the whole team knows ur gonna drive it makes it hard, for anyone.

The difference is AD is still playing hard and looking like a star

Evans looks worse than almost everyone on the team

Tyreke is still averaging 18 points 6.5 rebounds 6.5 assists per 36, i think the plan was to move gordon and have him start but it didint work. Remmber when we were healthy dude was averaging 22-8-8. Think he is just discouraged and has no help, same with AD. When the whole team knows ur gonna drive it makes it hard, for anyone.
    So you are saying it is hard to be an NBA player who plays major minutes at point or the 3 without a reliable outside shot? NO Kidding per 36!

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    Is he even tradeable anymore? His deal has easily been the worst move of Demps

To get Reke, we gave up:
    Robin Lopez
    Greivis Vasquez
    over $40 mil

Wtf.

He needs a team tailored to him to be at his best, he needs the ball in his hands, ideally on a run n gun team, and to be surrounded by shooters. But he isn't nearly good enough to tailor your team to fit him.

We already had our starting guards

He was supposed to improve our bench? Without him we could have had a bench of

Greivis
    Rivers
    Morrow
    Anderson
    Smith

Which would have already been one of the best benches in the league. What is the point of him? He, Jrue and Gordon are a bad fit so he shouldn't be starting

He put up inflated stats on a DGAF losing team where he had freedom to do anything

He cant even get a start over Brian Roberts or Aminu

We also gave up a starting caliber center on a good deal to get him, and now we don't have one. genius
    Great post. Although it really doesn't mean anything because what's done is done.

I remember at the time feeling uneasy about giving up Lopez and Vasquez. I justified it in my mind by saying they are both slow players and we need to run and gun.

We could sure use those two right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Stopped reading there.

JAAJAAJAJAAJAJAAJAAJ what's going on with this "Gord(x)n" thing... You dislike him way too much eh.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Stopped reading there.
    cool

still blows my mind that with austin, jrue, tyreke, gordon & aminu on this roster we rarely fast break

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    cool
    Look, I actually agree with you from time to time, but you are using per 36 completely wrong and it takes away from your arguments. Your underlying point in your previous post actually seems pretty valid, but constantly throwing per 36 around is making some not even want to respond to you. Which is not what anyone wants.

Thread Information