Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stein: Pelicans to get $4M Player Exception {Merged}

Pelicans Stein: Pelicans to get $4M Player Exception {Merged}

Interesting Trade Deadline Week wrinkle: Hearing Pelicans poised to receive Disabled Player Exception in $4 mil range for Ryan Anderson

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/st...47782075990017

very cool! package it with steimsma!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    What does this mean exactly?

Can't package it. Can just use it to get a guy under that salary and give up nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @mcnamara247

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    So MM it's just something that we can use only this season to straight up get 1 player?

Kind of confused as to what exactly it is.

Shouldn't that help to trade Gordon?

So what would be an incentive for the Lakers to give up a guy like Jordan Hill?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Can't package it.
    ah, gotcha thanks.

That's huge for giving us more flexibility with trades.

Just so no one panics. This isn't us trading Anderson.

However it is concerning because of the time frame. If they consider the injury happening in January (which I'd have to assume they will) then the only way this exception can be awarded is if the player is deemed unable to play in the following season. Meaning Anderson would have to be considered unable to play NEXT year for us to be able to get this.

I don't know if Commissioner Silver is giving us some leeway due to Anderson getting injured so close to December 30th or if we truly won't have Anderson next year. I'm also not sure if this means he won't be available for the ENTIRE next year or if he just has to sit out for a year.

These are questions those with better knowledge on this exception will be able to give.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    That's huge for giving us more flexibility with trades.

Just so no one panics. This isn't us trading Anderson.

However it is concerning because of the time frame. If they consider the injury happening in January (which I'd have to assume they will) then the only way this exception can be awarded is if the player is deemed unable to play in the following season. Meaning Anderson would have to be considered unable to play NEXT year for us to be able to get this.I don't know if Commissioner Silver is giving us some leeway due to Anderson getting injured so close to December 30th or if we truly won't have Anderson next year. I'm also not sure if this means he won't be available for the ENTIRE next year or if he just has to sit out for a year.

These are questions those with better knowledge on this exception will be able to give.
    This exception allows a team to replace a player who has been injured and will be out the rest of the season or for the entire next season (if the injury occurs during the off-season). [/SIZE] This exception may also be used in the tragic case of a player's death
    Last edited by BallSoHard; 02-18-2014 at 01:10 PM.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
    So what would be an incentive for the Lakers to give up a guy like Jordan Hill?
    Savings of about 7.5 mil. Could be more if they can dump Gasol too and get under the tax

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    This exception allows a team to replace a player who has been injured and will be out the rest of the season or for the entire next season (if the injury occurs during the off-season). [/SIZE] This exception may also be used in the tragic case of a player's death
    Doesn't it matter when the player was injured? From what I was reading if the player is injured before Dec 30th it can be for this season. If it's after dec 30th then it has to apply for the subsequent season.

However maybe that was a miss statement but he website or a misunderstanding on my part. I really hope it's only for this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Doesn't it matter when the player was injured? From what I was reading if the player is injured before Dec 30th it can be for this season. If it's after dec 30th then it has to apply for the subsequent season.

However maybe that was a miss statement but he website or a misunderstanding on my part. I really hope it's only for this year.
    Let me check, i'll be back in a few.

DISABLED PLAYER EXCEPTION -- This exception allows a team which is over the cap to replace a disabled player who will be out for the remainder of that season (it can also be granted in the event of a player's death). This exception is granted by the league, based on an application from the team and a determination by an NBA-designated physician that the player is substantially more likely than not to be unable to play through the following June 15.

If this exception is granted, the team can acquire one player, via either trade or free agent signing, to replace the disabled player:

•The team may sign a free agent for one season only, for 50% of the disabled player's salary or the amount of the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, whichever is less.
    •The team may trade for a player in the last season of his contract only (including any option years), who is making no more than 50% plus $100,000 of the disabled player's salary, or the amount of the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception plus $100,000, whichever is less.
    Teams can apply for this exception from July 1 through January 15, and cannot apply after January 15. Once granted, the exception expires when a player is acquired, when the disabled player is traded or returns to the team, or on March 10 of that season, whichever comes first. This exception is granted on a season-by-season basis -- if the player will also be out the following season, the team needs to apply for this exception again the following season.

This exception can only be granted to the team for which the player was playing when his injury or illness was known, or reasonably should have become known. A team cannot trade for an injured player and subsequently apply for a Disabled Player exception for that player.

If a team's application for a disabled player exception is denied, the team must wait 90 days before submitting another request related to the same player, and then only for a new injury or aggravation of the same injury. Whether the application was approved or denied, the team can apply again (including for the same injury) the following season.

If the disabled player comes back sooner than expected he may be activated immediately, and the replacement player is not affected.

Don't confuse the Disabled Player exception with the salary cap relief teams sometimes receive after losing a player to a career-ending injury or death (see question number 62). The Disabled Player exception allows a team to acquire a replacement player. The salary cap relief removes a contract from the team's books.

Also see question number 26 for more information on the availability and use of this exception.
    http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

Anderson was hurt n 1/3. I'm assuming we applied for it months ago (probably when he was given a final diagnosis). Since we applied for it before Jan 15th it's applicable for this season.

Thanks. That explains it. The website I was reading had it wrong. Not Dec 30th but jan 15th. At least on that front we got lucky with the injury.

Can we get a second Disabled Player Exception for Roberts ??

It was my understanding that there would be no math.
    the Legend has spoken!

Please be Jordan Hill - seems like Lakers were willing to part with him in an exchange with Brooklyn for their exception for Brook Lopez. Only problem was, Nets are so far over the luxury tax it'd cost them about 17 million more this season. We don't have that problem - hope we're going after him

Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    Please be Jordan Hill - seems like Lakers were willing to part with him in an exchange with Brooklyn for their exception for Brook Lopez. Only problem was, Nets are so far over the luxury tax it'd cost them about 17 million more this season. We don't have that problem - hope we're going after him
    He will probably means be gone after April though.

I don't know how to take this news. I miss Ryno lol

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    He will probably means be gone after April though.
    If it's only for the exception it's not like we have to move any assets. Worth the rental, maybe plays well with Davis and will consider signing here long term - couldn't hurt to try

Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    If it's only for the exception it's not like we have to move any assets. Worth the rental, maybe plays well with Davis and will consider signing here long term - couldn't hurt to try
    I agree I mean we literally have nothing to lose by using this exemption but fans have to realize this can only be used on an expiring contract. So odds are unless something clicks very soon they will be a FA.

Quote Originally Posted by AirForce1 View Post
    Can we get a second Disabled Player Exception for Roberts ??
    His flat top alone should be considered a solid reason
    SIGN A SF

Thanks for the explanation I was lost !
    "I go so hard, I go so mean... I'm so NEW ORLEANS" - Lil' Wayne
    "We not stopping at no stores man ! We staying on the gas !" - Tyreke Evans

Jordan Hill, Kosta Koufos, and Seraphin are all young centers that fit into that $4 million exception.

Thread Information