Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans attempting to trade Gordon and Evans to tank for top 5 pick

Rumor Pelicans attempting to trade Gordon and Evans to tank for top 5 pick

Via Chad Ford:

"Part of the Pelicans‘ motivation for exploring trades for Eric Gordon and Tyreke Evans is the feeling that they could fall back into position to snag a top-five pick in this year’s draft if both guys are off the roster, according to Ford. Their first-rounder goes to the Sixers if it’s No. 6 or worse. Chris Mannix of SI.com wrote earlier this morning that New Orleans was looking to move either Gordon or Evans, but not both"

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2014/02/k...-pelicans.html

Thoughts? Looking at the standings, it's really not that far out of reach.

Should have committed to a tank about three weeks ago, probably too late now.

LI's only NO Pelicans Fan yankeesman77's Avatar
    No. No. And no. This is just obvious stupidity. This team isn't getting a 1st round pick again so deal with it.

The New Wave of Pelican Power!

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    The initial reports were that we were trying to trade 1 of Evans or Gordon. So now we are trying to trade them BOTH? TO TANK? I don't see it. We can actually finish with a close to .500 record the way the team has been playing if we get a couple of guys healthy.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    This doesn't make sense. They feel as though they could get back in the top 5 if both were off the roster, but aren't looking to move both? Also, with Jrue coming back soon, we're not getting in the top 5. This would be very stupid if this is the idea.

nonononononononononononononononononononononononono nnonononononononononononononononononononononononon ononononononononononoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooo

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vader.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	5508

I am done with tanking
    never assume

I'm going to put this one in the category of Chad Ford doesn't know what he's talking about.

It's way too late to start tanking now. They needed to start that in December. Too many pieces of trash in the East to start your tank efforts now.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    I'm going to put this one in the category of Chad Ford doesn't know what he's talking about.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Coughka View Post
    Should have committed to a tank about three weeks ago, probably too late now.
    It is a tad silly if this is true. Especially since with Jrue coming back, we probably have just as good of a chance of winning as when we had both Eric and Tyreke. Looking at the standings, it will probably be extremely difficult to land top 5 records. The Bucks, Magic, and Philly seem to have a firm grip on 3 of the spots already. Which leaves us competing (lol) with Utah, LA, Sacramento, and Boston all of which seem pretty dedicated to tanking. (Maybe except the Kings, but they are awful anyway) The absolute worst we could do is wind up 6th worst too.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    That'd be...quite hilarious actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    That'd be...quite hilarious actually.
    Right!

Agreed. He is just talking to hear himself talk. He does not have many contacts high up within front offices, so he speculates.

No more tanking. Need to be making progress on the court (not in the lottery) in order to keep AD here.

Oh the irony... I don't believe this at all though.

Let's see, Demps shows up at Evans' door at midnight at the start of free agency to show him that they are serious about signing him. It works, he signs a FA deal with the Pels even though most people think the Pels can't attract top tier free agents. Dell states that he likes guards and wings that can drive to the basket, hence, Evans, Rivers, Gordon and Holiday. Evans' time, with the second unit healthy, is very productive. Problem is, Anderson has been out since the beginning of January. Evans' production goes down. Shocking. So all of a sudden, Demps is going to alter his long term plan and trade Evans? I don't see it.

Gordon? Yeah, sure if you can find a taker.
    Rivers? Possibly, if the right deal presents itself, but I doubt Demps is actively pursuing a trade of AR.
    Holiday? IMO, no chance.
    Roberts? Man, who knows? He's got his limitations, but I gotta admit, the cat can put the ball in the hole.
    Jackson? Wouldn't surprise me, even a little, if he were traded. I don't think the Organization cared too much for him airing out his dissatisfaction in the press.

One prediction: If Demps does make a trade, it'll be one that was not mentioned or rumored about on this or any other forum. My 2¢.

I'm sorry but this can't be true lol. I think I need to take a break from all this. I'll get back when some concrete info comes along.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Don't believe this for a second.

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    I'm sorry but this can't be true lol. I think I need to take a break from all this. I'll get back when some concrete info comes along.
    It's the same thing every year, this week.....NOTHING is concrete until it's finalized.

It's the same thing every year, this week.....NOTHING is concrete until it's finalized.
    Yea I know and ever year there comes a point when a break is needed.

If this were possible though, a top 5 pick could solve a lot of our problems. Thinking about it, it isn't impossible. With 30 games to go, we are 5 games out of the fifth worst record.

Looking at our schedule, it isn't very easy at all. Coming up we have a tough stretch: knicks, @charlotte, @wizards (BTB), clippers, @ dallas @phoenix. Hell the entire month of April looks hardly winnable for us. Jrue coming back will help us win more, but it's still just speculation on when he's coming back.
    Last edited by SNObody; 02-19-2014 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SNObody View Post
    If this were possible though, a top 5 pick could solve a lot of our problems. Thinking about it, it isn't impossible. With 30 games to go, we are 5 games out of the fifth worst record.

Looking at our schedule, it isn't very easy at all. Coming up we have a tough stretch knicks, @charlotte, @wizards (BTB), clippers, @ dallas @phoenix Hell the entire month of April looks hardly winnable for us.
    If we trade gordon and evans we will have a lot more problems to solve than the ones we have now.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    If we trade gordon and evans we will have a lot more problems to solve than the ones we have now.
    What problems? Gordon's hardly an irreplaceable player at all and Tyreke has shown potential, but he's hardly a game changer either unlike AD, Jrue, and Ryno. I'll take Parker, Wiggins, Exum or Embiid on a rookie contract EASILY over both.

What problems? Gordon's hardly an irreplaceable player at all and Tyreke has shown potential, but he's hardly a game changer either unlike AD, Jrue, and Ryno. I'll take Parker, Wiggins, Exum, or Embiid on a rookie contract EASILY over both.
    Ok, but then you have to replace the starting 2 position and a key player off the bench.

What problems? Gordon's hardly an irreplaceable player at all and Tyreke has shown potential, but he's hardly a game changer either unlike AD, Jrue, and Ryno. I'll take Parker, Wiggins, Exum or Embiid on a rookie contract EASILY over both.
    I don't think anyone would disagree that for his contract Gordon is well underperfoming, he is statistically having his worst season. Now you tell me how many free agents we are going to find that is going to come in and average 16-3-3, and that is his worst performance.

People think finding players who throw up 16-20 a game are easy to come by. I want him gone just as the next but let's not act like it will be so easy to replace his production. We would move him to get rid of his contract.

Thread Information