Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Rivers on way out/Jackson on way in?

Is this real? People really wouldn't do Rivers for Porter? I'm not judging just am kinda shocked. Otto Porter was a favorite on this board and I personally would like him here. If Rivers would be all it took, I'd do it so fast it's not even funny.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Is this real? People really wouldn't do Rivers for Porter? I'm not judging just am kinda shocked. Otto Porter was a favorite on this board and I personally would like him here. If Rivers would be all it took, I'd do it so fast it's not even funny.
    did we just agree for the first time?

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Ok ok, how about Rivers and Pjax for Harrison Barnes?
    Nope. No way.

Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    Nope. No way.
    Seriously?

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

I never liked porter after I watched a few of his games. On paper and box score he looked good but after watching him I just didn't see someone I'd want on my team.

He is having a worst season than rivers had last year...

Nope. No way.
    wow, i would do that in a heart beat, regardless of how BAD barnes is said to be, he is a great 3pt shooter, athlete, and potential to be a tremendous defender. Sometimes people have bad years, or take time to develop. Barnes was awesome last year in the playoffs and i feel iggy slowed his progress. Id take that trade 100 times out of 100 personally

did we just agree for the first time?
    Haha, i think so. I just honestly think the Wizards would laugh us off the table. They've got Beal and Wall. Now i know they're pretty stacked at the 3, but i think they let Ariza go. I know they really want to make some playoff runs for Wall, but I can't see them keeping Ariza over Porter.

So other than his college film what makes you want to trade Rivers for him. Has he shown anything this year? I feel like Rivers has done a great job getting better and dumping him for Porter is taking a step back...I do like Porter as a prospect but not for Rivers.

wow, i would do that in a heart beat, regardless of how BAD barnes is said to be, he is a great 3pt shooter, athlete, and potential to be a tremendous defender. Sometimes people have bad years, or take time to develop. Barnes was awesome last year in the playoffs and i feel iggy slowed his progress. Id take that trade 100 times out of 100 personally
    Agreed.

I never liked porter after I watched a few of his games. On paper and box score he looked good but after watching him I just didn't see someone I'd want on my team.

He is having a worst season than rivers had last year...
    Yeah, I haven't heard good things. Heard he milked his injury a little as well, but like Rivers I think there's too much talent and length there. Porter took a bit to get it at Georgetown as well. I think he could be a Prince-lite eventually. Don't expect him to make all star games but can play the position.

Yeah, I haven't heard good things. Heard he milked his injury a little as well, but like Rivers I think there's too much talent and length there. Porter took a bit to get it at Georgetown as well. I think he could be a Prince-lite eventually. Don't expect him to make all star games but can play the position.
    My problem is the time the team would have to wait for that player. It's just no a good plan to spend 2 or so years developing a fringe guy when you have a core 4 that should be making runs in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by brentmd2 View Post
    So other than his college film what makes you want to trade Rivers for him. Has he shown anything this year? I feel like Rivers has done a great job getting better and dumping him for Porter is taking a step back...I do like Porter as a prospect but not for Rivers.
    Not really a fair assessment though. I don't dislike Rivers, but i feel we have a bit of a surplus at the 1 and nothing at the 3. If we judged Rivers at the same point of last year it'd be the same story. I think Porter has the measurables to be good in the league and I think he will get it. To be fair though, i haven't really watched him this year.

My problem is the time the team would have to wait for that player. It's just no a good plan to spend 2 or so years developing a fringe guy when you have a core 4 that should be making runs in the playoffs.
    Rivers is in the same position though. We still have to spend 2 more years or so until he becomes a legit bench player.

Rivers is in the same position though. We still have to spend 2 more years or so until he becomes a legit bench player.
    But he's at a position where we can afford to wait. Plus he already has the defensive capability and spot up shot to come in with a Tyreke and Anderson bench in my opinion.

Not really a fair assessment though. I don't dislike Rivers, but i feel we have a bit of a surplus at the 1 and nothing at the 3. If we judged Rivers at the same point of last year it'd be the same story. I think Porter has the measurables to be good in the league and I think he will get it. To be fair though, i haven't really watched him this year.
    What's not fair? I will not disagree that we have a surplus but Rivers can play both guard spots and guard them. We need a 3 moving forward but would hate losing out on someone with the drive and determination to be great...that spreads after awhile.

But he's at a position where we can afford to wait. Plus he already has the defensive capability and spot up shot to come in with a Tyreke and Anderson bench in my opinion.
    Honestly, that's why i like Porter. He's at a position we need where Rivers after the Jrue trade is more of a luxury. I'd rather spend my developmental spot on something that could be big i guess.

What's not fair? I will not disagree that we have a surplus but Rivers can play both guard spots and guard them. We need a 3 moving forward but would hate losing out on someone with the drive and determination to be great...that spreads after awhile.
    I didn't think your assessment on Porter so early in his career was as cut and dry as you made it sound esp when comparing him directly to Rivers when Rivers had the exact same rookie year issues. Add that to the fact Poter walked into the league w a major injury, I think we need to give it more time. It's all excuses, and neither of these guys is going to be All NBA anytime soon. But kind of like what i said, i'd prefer to use a development spot on a position we need desperately. Also, I think the team will feed off of AD's drive and respect it more. So I personally don't view that as a factor.

Honestly, that's why i like Porter. He's at a position we need where Rivers after the Jrue trade is more of a luxury. I'd rather spend my developmental spot on something that could be big i guess.
    You think it could be big. I don't see "big" being there. I'd much rather fill our holes with proven players and continue a young development for the backups like Withey, Rivers, Miller.

You think it could be big. I don't see "big" being there. I'd much rather fill our holes with proven players and continue a young development for the backups like Withey, Rivers, Miller.
    "Big" to me is a solid starter lol.

"Big" to me is a solid starter lol.
    Eh. Maybe, but I'm not willing to wait, and I really don't believe he has what it takes.

I didn't think your assessment on Porter so early in his career was as cut and dry as you made it sound esp when comparing him directly to Rivers when Rivers had the exact same rookie year issues. Add that to the fact Poter walked into the league w a major injury, I think we need to give it more time. It's all excuses, and neither of these guys is going to be All NBA anytime soon. But kind of like what i said, i'd prefer to use a development spot on a position we need desperately. Also, I think the team will feed off of AD's drive and respect it more. So I personally don't view that as a factor.
    IDK if Porter is a good enough shooter. We need a shooter at SF so a trade for Porter would continue our spacing issues.

Like you said gotta give him a break because he's been injured and very light for SF but his shooting is really bad.

Like you said gotta give him a break because he's been injured and very light for SF but his shooting is really bad.
    Yeah, i wouldn't put my head on the chopping block and say you can cut my head off if he doesn't pan out.. but then again that's why he's tradeable.. to each their own on the preference.. i'd be fine with keeping Rivers. I like him.

We already have a SF we can develop in Miller. Who already has a FAR better shot than Porter. The whole idea that Rivers and Porter are the same talent wise is silly. Porter's biggest knock coming into the league was how low his ceiling was. Rivers was just the opposite. If you ask this draft day I think about it. But after seeing Porter in the NBA it's clear his floor is far lower than expected and him being "NBA ready" isn't true at all.

So when I'm left with the option of developing two players, I'd rather take the one that is a year further along and has a far higher upside. Rivers is a jump shot away for being a solid starting guard and two way player. Monty already trusts him on defense because at the end of a game when we need a stop he puts Rivers in.

I like rivers and think he would be a good fit next 2 jrue in the future, good defender, spot up 3pt shooter, gives u another ball handler/slasher, but if u get a chance to move him for a SF with considerably the same upside you take it.

What about this?

Magic need a PG, jameer will be done soon, would anyone consider Rivers and PJax for Mo Harkless and their 2nd rounder, which in this draft is almost a late 1st.

This gives the magic a PG who can shoot the 3 next to oladipo and a 6th man in rivers. Also gives the pelicans an athletic small forward who can slash, shoot the 3 and defend.

Pretty fair

Thread Information