Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rumor: Pels looking to trade Rivers and Pierre in package deal

Denver could bite. There overly-active yet athletic center isn't healthy and they may be in need for some Aminu running around like a wild man.
    Andre Miller says he doesnt want to return to the team; hence, needing ball handlers.

they got a ton of talented wings

Greg Monroe
    Anthony Davis
    Thaddeus Young
    whoever
    Jrue Holliday

would be my dream

Quote Originally Posted by daybreaker View Post
    Getting a SF lets us trade Gordon for a big, moving Evans to SG. I like that line up much better. Especially if that big is that trade the ESPN author wants to happen that brings in Tyson Chandler for Gordon.
    Evans is not a shooting Guard......SHOOTING is not Evans strength. He is a small 'small" forward. The lane would be cluttered and the turnovers would increase and scoring would decrease.

Gordon is a shooting guard...over prices but oh well. We need a scoring small forward FIRST AND FOREMOST!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    The question is: Does Boston still view Austin the way they did two years ago, when they tried to trade up to get him. And it wasn't because of Doc; Ainge loved him.

And does Boston view Pierre as a first round pick, as some on this board do? If so, they are basically getting 2 1st round picks and clearing about 5 mil off their books next year for Green.

Or maybe they just like Austin and Pierre goes elsewhere. Would they take Austin, Aminu, Orlando's 2014 2nd rounder, and Miami's 2015 1st for Green? (With Pierre going to Cleveland)

You look at how the Magic tried to get a nice bounty for JJ Reddick last year and had to settle for much less than they were asking for, and wonder if some of these rebuilding teams would do the same.
    Maybe Boston is just trying to drum up interest in Green, but a recent report was that they were not interested in trading him, but making him part of what they build around.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Maybe Boston is just trying to drum up interest in Green, but a recent report was that they were not interested in trading him, but making him part of what they build around.
    And they said the same thing about Rondo, but likely would have shipped him to Sacto if Rondo had any desire to go there.

Look, maybe they dont want to move Green or could get more for him. Just saying there are deals out there that would improve this team if Dell decides to move these two guys that some people seem so reluctant to move.
    @mcnamara247

cant judge til the trade, but hard to believe we'd get fair value for them right now. Rivers is still developing has good potential, and Pierre looks like he could be a good player but hasn't played a game in the NBA yet

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    cant judge til the trade, but hard to believe we'd get fair value for them right now. Rivers is still developing has good potential, and Pierre looks like he could be a good player but hasn't played a game in the NBA yet
    How much value can you expect to get from a still developing SG and a D Leaguer? If we hold onto them waiting for them to develop and then flip them, what if they never do and end up killing what value they have now?

Point is if I was another team I wouldn't give up anything valuable for them right now.

Rivers has improved, you can see the potential for him to be a Crawford type player with better defense, and he seems like he's got a good work ethic. Why trade him?

I'll be verrrrry upset if we trade BOTH these guys. How many times does this organization has to repeat and not learn from history? They seem to let very talented players, who have tons of potential go because impatience, and replace them with mediocre players (JEFF GREEN WILL **** US OFF). Im really starting to believe Monty is the force behind this stupid VETERAN ROLE PLAYER crap when we pick up these old one dimensional guys and let go guys that ooze potential.

Lets face it, our team should be fastpace showtime, not old school Spurs wannabes with a Defensive Coach who CAN NOT coach defense.

AD will leave as long as this tandem of Dell and Monty is here. Dell is ok, but Monty and his babygirl Brian Roberts gotta go.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    Point is if I was another team I wouldn't give up anything valuable for them right now.

Rivers has improved, you can see the potential for him to be a Crawford type player with better defense, and he seems like he's got a good work ethic. Why trade him?

Because hey, lets get Willie Green and Tashauan Prince!

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    I'll be verrrrry upset if we trade BOTH these guys. How many times does this organization has to repeat and not learn from history? They seem to let very talented players, who have tons of potential go because impatience, and replace them with mediocre players (JEFF GREEN WILL **** US OFF). Im really starting to believe Monty is the force behind this stupid VETERAN ROLE PLAYER crap when we pick up these old one dimensional guys and let go guys that ooze potential.

Lets face it, our team should be fastpace showtime, not old school Spurs wannabes with a Defensive Coach who CAN NOT coach defense.

AD will leave as long as this tandem of Dell and Monty is here. Dell is ok, but Monty and his babygirl Brian Roberts gotta go.
    Care to give examples of where we let talented young players go for mediocre veteran role players? And please, don't embarrass yourself by mentioning Jrue.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post

It's obvious Dell is build the showtime team but Monty is trying to coach a Pacers team.

The Rivers, Aminu, Jackson trade for Jeff Green combined with a Gordon for Monroe swap is my impossible trade scenario pipe dream.

I hate to lose those guys tho, but that's my personal side ignoring the enormous gains we'd get from making both of those deals.
    Jrue dat

If we get rid of Rivers and Pierre for a terrible player that has no upside (or being to old to develop), then I will be on the fire Demps bandwagon as well as the Fire Monty one Im already on. Austin Rivers has shown flashes and he deserves minutes...And Pierre can possibly be a great pg, way better than Roberts will ever be.

A pipe dream but financially possible trade scenario...

Celtics get
    PG Rivers
    PG Jackson
    SF Aminu
    PF Udoh (Bucks expiring)

Bucks get
    SG Gordon
    C Withey

Pels get
    SF Green
    SG Neal
    C Sanders
    PG Pressey

Pels could then use the MLE on re-signing Smith (or another C) and Morrow:

Next Season's Lineup when Healthy:

PG Holiday/Roberts/Pressey
    SG Neal/Evans
    SF Green/Morrow/Miller
    PF Davis/Anderson/Babbit
    C Sanders/Smith/Ajinca
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 02-18-2014 at 01:50 AM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    If we trade these two guy for some mediocre or scrub player I will be pissed. You don't trade potential for mediocrity and I feel like this is what Dell will do.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...-Austin-Rivers
    I wish Rivers had worked out with AD.

If this is true, **** it. Monty, can we package you and your fetish Roberts too, *****?

This shows what a wasted pick Rivers was. Other guys were available who would easily be more productive.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans78 View Post
    This shows what a wasted pick Rivers was. Other guys were available who would easily be more productive.
    How can you judge a player after 1 year and a half only? Should we start naming players who took like 3 or 4 years or more to develop and become something good+?

The impatience and rushing things is what digs your grave, most of the times. And this is what sucks about the NBA. And this franchise has done it many times.

Just because you trade a player after a year and a half (or sooner), doesn't mean you have given up on them or that they are a bust. It could just mean you like another player more. Darryl Morey didn't "give up" on Jeremy Lamb, he just like James Harden more. Dell didn't give up on Nerlens Noel, he just liked Holiday more. And so on and so on.

These players are all just commodities and you are always looking to improve your team, so anybody could be had if the right offer is made. You can't think of players being "yours". What I mean by that, is if Denver comes to you and wants Pierre and Austin for Wilson Chandler, you can't think of them as guys you are "giving up". You have to imagine a scenario in which you have the exact same roster that you have now, minus Austin ad Pierre, and then ask yourself - If I had this roster, and either Austin/Pierre or Chandler were available for me to sign, which would I choose?

In that scenario, I think the choice would be clear given the makeup of the roster, so you make the deal.

And they said the same thing about Rondo, but likely would have shipped him to Sacto if Rondo had any desire to go there.

Look, maybe they dont want to move Green or could get more for him. Just saying there are deals out there that would improve this team if Dell decides to move these two guys that some people seem so reluctant to move.
    Maybe. If we could get that kind of value for them, I am all for it. It's a shame Rondo would not commit to an extension with the Kngs, because the Celtics were getting quite a haul for Rondo. This would be the opposite, more of a salary dump.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Maybe. If we could get that kind of value for them, I am all for it. It's a shame Rondo would not commit to an extension with the Kngs, because the Celtics were getting quite a haul for Rondo. This would be the opposite, more of a salary dump.
    In that trade, Celtics were getting young guys and cap relief. Would be the same here. Interesting thing with that deal is what the Celtics would have done with I. Thomas - he is a RFA this summer. What do you pay a guy like that? He performs like an 8-10 million dollar PG, but is he a starter on a good playoff team? And McLemore - was talking to some Kings guys at AS Weekend and some are secretly concerned he might be a bust because they say he has small hands and it limits some things he can do with the ball and that he rarely catches it cleanly coming off screens, so that is why his shot is so inconsistent.

Would have been a steal for the Kings IMO.

Just because you trade a player after a year and a half (or sooner), doesn't mean you have given up on them or that they are a bust. It could just mean you like another player more. Darryl Morey didn't "give up" on Jeremy Lamb, he just like James Harden more. Dell didn't give up on Nerlens Noel, he just liked Holiday more. And so on and so on.

These players are all just commodities and you are always looking to improve your team, so anybody could be had if the right offer is made. You can't think of players being "yours". What I mean by that, is if Denver comes to you and wants Pierre and Austin for Wilson Chandler, you can't think of them as guys you are "giving up". You have to imagine a scenario in which you have the exact same roster that you have now, minus Austin ad Pierre, and then ask yourself - If I had this roster, and either Austin/Pierre or Chandler were available for me to sign, which would I choose?

In that scenario, I think the choice would be clear given the makeup of the roster, so you make the deal.
    agreed

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    So? Someone said Demps could reach Loomis level. Demps is already above Loomis level (which is very low) in regards to trades.

Now... Loomis is the man with the cap.
    That is because in the NFL you rarely see player for player trades. Comparing apples to oranges.

In that trade, Celtics were getting young guys and cap relief. Would be the same here. Interesting thing with that deal is what the Celtics would have done with I. Thomas - he is a RFA this summer. What do you pay a guy like that? He performs like an 8-10 million dollar PG, but is he a starter on a good playoff team? And McLemore - was talking to some Kings guys at AS Weekend and some are secretly concerned he might be a bust because they say he has small hands and it limits some things he can do with the ball and that he rarely catches it cleanly coming off screens, so that is why his shot is so inconsistent.

Would have been a steal for the Kings IMO.
    It sounds like the deal was almost identical to the Holiday trade. 2013 mid-lottery guy (McLemore, Noel) and another pick.

Boston's asking price is reportedly 2 first round picks (http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/big-na...-deadline.html, https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/sta...79871737696256). It seems like Holiday set the market here. It's funny how the media was clowning us for trading two first rounders for Holiday, and now teams are scrambling to trade two first rounders for Rondo (Sacramento, Houston, probably others), who is 5 years older.

Thread Information