Pelicans Report

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16

Thread: Game Thread: Pelicans @ Bucks

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    It's ok to be disappointed with how a team played over the course of a 48 minute contest, but I think there is always something to be said for when you win an NBA game when the game was hanging in the balance.
    Indeed

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    Hahaha it's all good man. It's all in fun.
    agreed, i just dont like it when people on here bash our players, if the player is being lazy or dumb, then im all for it, but if ur hustling and still not doing well, i cant knock u for trying, if a coach puts u on the floor and u hustle ur ok in my book. Not saying u did this, talking about others.

what i saw from aminu tonight was great hustle on both ends of the court.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    It's ok to be disappointed with how a team played over the course of a 48 minute contest, but I think there is always something to be said for when you win an NBA game when the game was hanging in the balance.
    good post, thats the difference between winning and losing, living and dying! game of inches! or baskets in this case...

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    agreed, i just dont like it when people on here bash our players, if the player is being lazy or dumb, then im all for it, but if ur hustling and still not doing well, i cant knock u for trying, if a coach puts u on the floor and u hustle ur ok in my book. Not saying u did this, talking about others.

what i saw from aminu tonight was great hustle on both ends of the court.
    Yea and we get that from time to time. For the most part tho from what I see. His athleticism gets him by all by itself. His lack of bball iq tho is just too much to over come. He is horrible off the ball on rotations. Always late. Them open 3s we give up all the time? Aminu is the reason for a lot of those. Seen it many times. I've seen him play really good defense man to man before. Problem with that is that it's too inconsistent. I see him getting beat man to man more than locking a guy up. Can't tell u how many times I've seen him just stand there and watch a play happen instead of reacting and helping out. I'm just ready to see the guy go.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    The Clippers don't hedge with DeAndre Jordan, interesting.

Yea and we get that from time to time. For the most part tho from what I see. His athleticism gets him by all by itself. His lack of bball iq tho is just too much to over come. He is horrible off the ball on rotations. Always late. Them open 3s we give up all the time? Aminu is the reason for a lot of those. Seen it many times. I've seen him play really good defense man to man before. Problem with that is that it's too inconsistent. I see him getting beat man to man more than locking a guy up. Can't tell u how many times I've seen him just stand there and watch a play happen instead of reacting and helping out. I'm just ready to see the guy go.
    good post, i prob havent watched him as closely as u have, if we can bring in someone better i would be all for letting him walk, which i think will happen

good post, i prob havent watched him as closely as u have, if we can bring in someone better i would be all for letting him walk, which i think will happen
    Yea I'm more worried about the offensive end with him anyways. We need much more from the 3 spot on offense. I agree tho. We should get a replacement next year. I'm still anxiously waking up every morning checking to see if we made a trade over night lol.

Yea I'm more worried about the offensive end with him anyways. We need much more from the 3 spot on offense. I agree tho. We should get a replacement next year. I'm still anxiously waking up every morning checking to see if we made a trade over night lol.
    well i think jordan hamilton would be an upgrade, he is actually a good rebounder for a SF, not as good as aminu but he is so much better offensively that it's not even close i would much rather hamilton, plus they will go for about the same amount of cash. we need a shooting SF, hamilton can be that guy

well i think jordan hamilton would be an upgrade, he is actually a good rebounder for a SF, not as good as aminu but he is so much better offensively that it's not even close i would much rather hamilton, plus they will go for about the same amount of cash. we need a shooting SF, hamilton can be that guy
    Eh. He's an average rebounder but Miller is actually a better shooter than him. If we wanted to bring him in as a replacement to Miller that's fine because he's slightly better on the defensive end and rebounding. Even if we got him we'd still need a starting SF. He would be a decent backup though. There's a reason Denver didn't re-up his contract and is letting him walk.

Our next game is the 19th and the trade deadline is the 20th. What if this was the last game Gordon ever plays as a Pelican?

Can someone help me out? I have a personnel question. What's the love fest about with Miller, Evans, Rivers. IMO, 2 of those 3 aren't even NBA caliber players. Evans' contact is terrible for a guy that is basically useless unless you put him in ideal situations. I agree Evans may be better at the 1 but he is drastically overpaid. Miller is a career 12th man journeyman. Imo, None of these guys put us in the best position to win. Can someone please enlighten me on what I'm missing when I'm watching these guys play?

Thanks
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Can someone help me out? I have a personnel question. What's the love fest about with Miller, Evans, Rivers. IMO, 2 of those 3 aren't even NBA caliber players. Evans' contact is terrible for a guy that is basically useless unless you put him in ideal situations. I agree Evans may be better at the 1 but he is drastically overpaid. Miller is a career 12th man journeyman. Imo, None of these guys put us in the best position to win. Can someone please enlighten me on what I'm missing when I'm watching these guys play?

Thanks
    We have an ailment commonly known as the "backup QB syndrome."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I think the allure with Evans is that he's genuinely unguardable in a 1-on-1 situation. If he's surrounded by shooters (Jrue, Ryno, Gordon, AD with the developing mid-range jumper--basically the healthy "big 5"), he can get to the basket as well as any player in the league. He's also an underrated drive-and-kick passer. If defenses collapse he's capable of finding the open man in the corner for 3 (Ryno or Gordon in this case).

Rivers plays good defense for a second year player. He has crafty handles, and his shot is improving (36% from 3 this season). He needs to become a better finisher (will hopefully come with increased physical strength) and needs to improve his FTs. Until he can do those, he'll always be an inefficient player. However, I think the allure of Rivers also comes from the frustration with Roberts. People see Rivers as a way to kill 2 birds with one stone--develop a promising young talent, and get Roberts to the bench.

I don't really understand the love for Miller. I don't really get that either.

Quote Originally Posted by greewe View Post
    Our next game is the 19th and the trade deadline is the 20th. What if this was the last game Gordon ever plays as a Pelican?
    Don't tease me man

Quote Originally Posted by hagios View Post

I tend to agree with this

I think the allure with Evans is that he's genuinely unguardable in a 1-on-1 situation. If he's surrounded by shooters (Jrue, Ryno, Gordon, AD with the developing mid-range jumper--basically the healthy "big 5"), he can get to the basket as well as any player in the league. He's also an underrated drive-and-kick passer. If defenses collapse he's capable of finding the open man in the corner for 3 (Ryno or Gordon in this case).

Rivers plays good defense for a second year player. He has crafty handles, and his shot is improving (36% from 3 this season). He needs to become a better finisher (will hopefully come with increased physical strength) and needs to improve his FTs. Until he can do those, he'll always be an inefficient player. However, I think the allure of Rivers also comes from the frustration with Roberts. People see Rivers as a way to kill 2 birds with one stone--develop a promising young talent, and get Roberts to the bench.

I don't really understand the love for Miller. I don't really get that either.
    thanks for this. It was really a serious question. I kind of figured the Rivers love was a byproduct of the Roberts hate.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Gery Woelfel: Rest assured, Bucks officials will be closely scrutinizing Pelicans guard Eric Gordon, subject of trade rumors.
    One can only hope

Quote Originally Posted by hagios View Post

I think that this plays a role, but it's a little more complicated. Rivers is easy to understand, in my opinion. We gave up the 10th pick for him, and he was terrible last season, but he's been improving. We'd like to see our 10th pick pan out, so we'd like to put him in the best possible position to grow. Essentially I think we're experiencing a sunk cost fallacy (link), which can cause us to be more optimistic about his growth than I think is realistic.

In my opinion Miller is simply a case of backup QB syndrome combined with our past history of drafting players that we underutilize who end up going to another team and performing better than they did here (Xavier, Pondexter, etc). This causes some to wonder if Miller is in a similiar situation where we're simply not using him correctly and playing to his strengths.

As for Evans, calling him "drastically overpaid" is a bit hyperbolic. We slightly overpaid for him because we had the cap space to burn and our franchise is notorious for having to overpay talent to come here. So Tyreke's contract isn't budget material, but it's also not so egregiously bad that he's untradeable. I also wouldn't call him "useless unless you put him in the right situation" when "the right situation" is simply having some court spacing. I agree that it would be nice if he developed a jump shot so he could create some spacing himself, but we knew what we were getting when we signed him. It's the equivalent of faulting Ryno for not being able to drive and finish at the rim.
    Last edited by SeaLegs; 02-13-2014 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaLegs View Post
    I think that this plays a role, but it's a little more complicated. Rivers is easy to understand, in my opinion. We gave up the 10th pick for him, and he was terrible last season, but he's been improving. We'd like to see our 10th pick pan out, so we'd like to put him in the best possible position to grow. Essentially I think we're experiencing a sunk cost fallacy (link), which can cause us to be more optimistic about his growth than I think is realistic.

In my opinion Miller is simply a case of backup QB syndrome combined with our past history of drafting players that we underutilize who end up going to another team and performing better than they did here (Xavier, Pondexter). This causes some to wonder if Miller is in a similiar situation where we're simply not using him correctly and playing to his strengths.

As for Evans, calling him "drastically overpaid" is a bit hyperbolic. We slightly overpaid for him because we had the cap space to burn and our franchise is notorious for having to overpay talent to come here. So Tyreke's contract isn't budget material, but it's also not so egregiously bad that he's untradeable. I also wouldn't call him "useless unless you put him in the right situation" when "the right situation" is simply having some court spacing. I agree that it would be nice if he developed a jump shot so he could create some spacing himself, but we knew what we were getting when we signed him. It's the equivalent of faulting Ryno for not being able to drive and finish at the rim.
    As far as Evans, if he can just develop a jumpshot he would be an all-star. No one can stop him driving to the hoop, but if he can take notes from John Wall, Evan Turner, and dare a say Lebron and learn how to shot. He would be the best 2 guard in the league!

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Fantastic points there SeaLegs.
    @DanielVeuleman

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Ajinca scored 16 points, that is what he can do if he can stay on the court, without all of the fouls.

Quote Originally Posted by smcgull View Post
    Ajinca scored 16 points, that is what he can do if he can stay on the court, without all of the fouls.
    I can see that. he's 7'2. 10 boards should be the norm for him. if he hits the glass, he'll score 10 a game just by being tall and active

Quote Originally Posted by SeaLegs View Post

In my opinion Miller is simply a case of backup QB syndrome combined with our past history of drafting players that we underutilize who end up going to another team and performing better than they did here (Xavier, Pondexter, etc). This causes some to wonder if Miller is in a similiar situation where we're simply not using him correctly and playing to his strengths.

It's not often people make great post on here. This isn't a shot at anyone, but this is more of my applause to sealegs.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Thanks
    Imagine Miller, Rivers and Roberts on Popovic's team. I think two of the three would get a chance (and it would not be roberts) and IMO at least one of them would turn out to be a very good player.

Thread Information